Help with CPU Tempature/cooler?

Nov 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've recently got new components for my PC, I changed my previous board to a ASUS Z270 Mark 1, CPU to an I7 7700k, and RAM to 16GB Corsair DDR4 @3200MHz. I'm using an Intel stock cooler for the 7700k (yes i know the 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler, I'm using the cooler from a previous I5 7500) and my CPU Temperature seems to average out at about 80-85 whilst gaming, peaking up to 90. I'm pretty sure this is a little too high, it's also worth noting the CPU is at 4.5GHz (Turbo mode)

I'm thinking of purchasing an Noctua NH-D15S, how much of an impact will this cooler make on my CPU temperature? I'd also like to overclock the CPU a few hundred MHz in the future (nothing crazy) would this cooler be good enough for that

Solution
Nov 27, 2018

It does fit, but I'm wondering if it'd make enough of an impact to actually be worth it

The Noctua NH-D15S is an excellent cooler...it will be more than enough on stock settings and will give you some overclocking headroom. If you really want to push overclocks I'd suggest an AIO water setup...but for modest overclocking the Noctua is a solid choice.

Solution