[SOLVED] Help with Desktop PC for DJ Music editing and Live streaming ?

DemonDayz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
Hello Forum, I am looking for a desktop PC that I can use for my home mini studio of sorts. I mainly will be web surfing, live streaming, and music editing/ DJ Serato Pro. I am no professional musician or professional DJ but I would like to run professional studio programs/ equipment if possible . I have a DJ S11 Pioneer mixer that I will be using with the PC. Other than that I do not game. Movie editing capabilities would be nice.

I have a price range up to $1500 max . I've seen Costco and Best Buy but the reviews on here steered me away. I would like upgrade capabilities for later, and some of those don't allow for that from what I've read. What do I need to look for to ensure I can upgrade the hardware later on (GPU, soundcard , inputs/outputs ?
And to ensure it can it run the programs and activities I plan on using it for. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
I would suggest building your own system, that way you are sure that can be upgraded in the near future.
If you are not up to it, then you could go with iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC but they might cut corners to get the most of your money.
Maingear is good....but a good DJ desktop might start at $1600.

You might be able to get a good built system with BLD by NZXT...that can be upgraded.
Their Starter Pro PC might be enough for your tasks at $1300. I would ask them to bump the RAM to 32GB, since audio and video editing needs some RAM.

Even though you might not play games, a GPU could cut video rendering times by more than half.
I would suggest building your own system, that way you are sure that can be upgraded in the near future.
If you are not up to it, then you could go with iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC but they might cut corners to get the most of your money.

You might be able to get a good built system with BLD by NZXT...that can be upgraded.
Their Starter Pro PC might be enough for your tasks at $1300. I would ask them to bump the RAM to 32GB, since audio and video editing needs some RAM.

Even though you might not play games, a GPU could cut video rendering times by more than half.

Solution

DemonDayz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022

Thanks for the reply. I will look into doing my own system but I will have to have some one build it.
I have seen these around on twitch and heard good things, any thoughts on the specs etc. https://www.gggoat.com/collections/frontpage/products/alpha-gggoat-stream-pc?variant=36786054660261
Thanks

Hey guys anybody have any experience with these or any thoughts on the specs etc? I have seen these around on twitch and heard good things, any thoughts on the specs etc. https://www.gggoat.com/collections/frontpage/products/alpha-gggoat-stream-pc?variant=36786054660261
That system does not divulge two very important components: Motherboard and PSU...which could be an issue if you want to upgrade the system.
Because of the size of the motherboard (Mini-ITX), you might not be able to add expansion cards such as sound or capture devices.
Upgrading a Mini-ITX system could be challenging and more expensive that a Micro-ATX or ATX system.
Besides that, even though the CPU is good, it is a couple generations old...so I assume the motherboard might be too.

Reactions: Corwin65

DemonDayz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
That system does not divulge two very important components: Motherboard and PSU...which could be an issue if you want to upgrade the system.
Because of the size of the motherboard (Mini-ITX), you might not be able to add expansion cards such as sound or capture devices.
Upgrading a Mini-ITX system could be challenging and more expensive that a Micro-ATX or ATX system.
Besides that, even though the CPU is good, it is a couple generations old...so I assume the motherboard might be too.

OK I see. I didn't even think of that. I emailed them GGGOAT and they were pretty vague. Basically told me they can build and put anything I want in the PC. That was it.

DemonDayz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
Hey Forum is there any reliable place's you can recommend that builds CPU's that you can direct me to? I'm learning a lot here and I think the custom route might be best. Also where would I start if I was to begin buying the parts for the PC . Best places to buy the hardware and like list of what parts I may need etc. Any help or direction would be great. Thanks Again !!!

USAFRet

Titan
Hey Forum is there any reliable place's you can recommend that builds CPU's that you can direct me to? I'm learning a lot here and I think the custom route might be best. Also where would I start if I was to begin buying the parts for the PC . Best places to buy the hardware and like list of what parts I may need etc. Any help or direction would be great. Thanks Again !!!
Where on the planet are you?

Contrary to the above comments, building your own is NOT always better.
Especially for a money generating system.

Something like this maybe...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor | $374.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler | $64.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | $179.95 @ Amazon
Memory | Team T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $119.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X Video Card | $179.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $66.00 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2021) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $59.99 @ Newegg
Sound Card | Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9 32-bit 384 kHz Sound Card | $332.49 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1533.37
| Mail-in rebates | -$45.00
| Total | $1488.37
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-10 02:34 EDT-0400 |

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you want something prebuild is this probably a good choice looking at the specs,
https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0003-1G253?Item=9SIB0GJGZ89478
adjusting parts in the future might be an issue like cpu cooler, but with 32gb of ram and that amount of storage is it not a bad choice, the only thing maybe letting it down is the cpu which is the I5 11500, not that bad though. It just comes short 2 cores/4threads of the cpu in the system linked by yourself, but then again adds alot in storage and ram.
Only thing a problem might be temps within the case, but photo show fans through the front so if all is well should it have a mesh front which should help.

Bloatware might be an annoyance too, but you could just go through that the first time and when having linked the OS to your Microsoft account reinstall windows. If the box or something else has the windows key on it could you just start with doing a fresh install.

Looked abit and found this review about a similar Lenovo pc with different specs,
https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/lenovo-legion-tower-5-review
too bad no temperature testing though.

It's nothing like the system above, but if you really want prebuild is it an option to consider, at least imo.

Last edited:
I run a DJ setup, and Music Production Home Studio with my off the shelf MicroCenter PC. I did add some RAM from 16 to 32. It's a Ryzen 7 system and not one hiccup with it for DJ'ing or editing and producing.
It is nice to have Micro Center nearby, but many do no have that choice.
Also, some might not be incline to build their own PC.

Depending on user budget, I found that Maingear and Puget Systems deliver good systems

TRENDING THREADS