Help with first time server Build

Bman44

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hi there,
So I will try to keep this short, I haven’t worked on server since I finished my studies 5 years ago and with my current job I have been tasked to implement a server.

This server is to mainly be used to give employees roaming profiles and for security reasons, the amount of data that will be backed up on it is minimal as most will be locally backed up on the PC. There will not be any web hosting or even need to run software on the server (other than the basics) as all programs used by staff is web based.
The Company has already supplied me with Server 2012 R2 Std edition with cals.

So I really only want to confirm if the server hardware I have access to would be adequate for this. I have listed them below.

(They do not want a Dell, HP or any prebuilt servers before I get hounded for that)

MB: Asus Z10PE-D16 WS Dual Socket LGA2011-V3 EEB Server Motherboard

RAM: Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz 288-Pin ECC Registered Desktop Memory

CPU: Intel BX80660E52630V4S Xeon E5-2630 v4 Deca-core

HDD: 2X Western-Digital WD1003FZEX Black 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive

PSU: Corsair HX750i CP-9020072 750w 80 Plus Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply

Thanks for the help
B

That board is serious overkill unless you're dealing with a ton of employees. Same for the CPU.

I'd usually go with an E3 for something like this. Paired with a decent C232 or C236 motherboard, it should do the job nicely.

I would certainly not recommend that motherboard for use with a single CPU. Get an x99 board from a reputable server vendor if you only need one CPU.

The HDD and PSU are both consumer parts. Consider getting a server chassis that includes a PSU. It minimizes the amount of verification that you'll need to do. Supermicro offers solid options.

For the HDDs, get server grade parts. That includes the Red Pro, Gold, and RE series. In a pinch, the Red series will do.

Bman44

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Thank you for the reply.

We are at 80 Employees at the moment (which would be about 25-30 connections to the server as they work shifts), looking to hit 120 by the end of the year and 200 by end 2018, with this in mind I thought it better to go a bit over the top for growth, however I thought it would be possible to run the board on one CPU to leave room for this.

I can replace the board with: MB-AZ10PAU8 Asus Z10PA-U8 C612

HDD’s with: Western-Digital WD1004FBYZ Re 1TB

It’s really hard finding server chassis with PSU’s where I live, I can ship them however I am worried about warranty time frames in that situation.