Help with Gigabyte's New F8 BIOS version for DQ6 Mobo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I'll be going over a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Rev 1.0), with BIOS F8 installed in about 4 hours.

Clearing the BIOS (remove battery for 60 seconds while unplugged from mains power) is an important step. - Try this instead of shorting the CMOS CLEAR jumper.

I'll be raising the FSB to 333, from 266, and using a CPU voltage of 1.375
- To overclock a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 from 2.40 GHz to 3.00 GHz - This is the same chip everyone else is mentioning problems with here.

You're all raising the CPU Voltage to 1.375 or higher right ?
Maybe try VDIMM and other voltage tweaks too, but only slight ones (unless your RAM needs 2.x Volts to work that is :p).

The F8 BIOS adds a Voltage 'Detection Probe' to the boot up sequence, which improves DRAM compatibility on the board (high end modules need more volts, as above).

Have you checked all BIOS settings using Ctrl+F1 at the main BIOS menu?

PCI Express Frequency I plan to lock at between 97 and 101.

Here are my stable settings with any other BIOS version less than the F8 verison.
I'm back @ 3.40Ghz with the ver. F7.

A wise man once said to me:
"User the Force" & remember the DISCLAIMER!!!

DISCLAIMER: If someone reading this wishes to OC & test their system using these parameters below please do so at your own risk. The parameters are for my specific hardware. I'm not sure if it would work equally for a different system.
I took a chance with the help from the guys hanging out here & I'm still here writing about it on my OC'ed system. I'm only posting my findings to make it easy/easier for noobies like me on OCing. Your welcome.

The changes in my BIOS are in BOLD Blue & Red below:

[Gigabyte BIOS (M.I.T.) Menu Options word-for-word with the F7 BIOS update]

Robust Graphics Booster: [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio: (9x)
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): [378]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
C.I.A.2: [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier: [2.00]

Memory Frequency (Mhz) {this option is shaded out}: [726]

======================================

{Pressing Ctrl + F1 key Combo At Main BIOS Screen Enables DRAM Timings Below}

DRAM Timing Selectable: [AUTO]
CAS Latency Time: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# Precharge: [grayed out]
Precharge Delay: [grayed out]
ACT to ACT Delay: [Auto]
Rank Write To READ Delay: [Auto]
Write To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Refresh To ACT Delay: [0]
Read To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Memory Performance Enhance: [Normal]

{blinking} ***** System Voltage NOT Optimized!! ***** {blinking}

System Voltage Control: [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: [+0.025V]

PCI-E OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
{option appears after pressing Ctrl + F1 key combo}

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control: [+0.15V]
CPU OverVoltage Control: [1.42500V]

--------------------------------------------------

Like I said. All has been good with these settings until the new F8 came & it was all down hill from there...

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I picked up my GA-965P-DQ6 (Rev 1.0) about 10 days ago here in Australia. Came with F8 already installed. Other than the occasional issue where about 1 x every 2 days rebooting XP seems to send the motherboard into an endless loop of booting for 5 seconds then turning off. I Have to unplug the power for a few minutes then it's ok. I'm having few problems overclocking (maybe not to the extent of some :) ). I think I may have stopped the booting too - I hope so anyway :?: It seems to have stopped since I removed a self-powered USB hub I had connected.

Anyway I've got:
E6600 running @ 3.2G (7 x 457)
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler
Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 (1:1 @ 914 / 4-4-4-12)
GF 8800 GTS
4 x 250GB WD SATA1 ( 2 x 500GB raid 0) (from old setup)
2 x 300GB WD SATA1 in IDE mode on Gigabyte contoller (from old setup)
2 x BENQ 1640's on the IDE controller as well (from old setup)
Got a Thermaltake 750W power supply. Wasn't sure what to do at first as far as 4x4 connection (which this PSU has) & extra molex connection on MB - The manual was just plane confusing, so I ended up just connecting everything and hoping for the best.

Settings:
All CPU stuff like Eist, C1E, no execute, & virtualization I have disabled - left thermal monitor on to be safe.

Multiplier to 7. FSB to 457. Mem @ 1:1 (or 2 as MB says). PCIE @ auto
Mem Voltage + .325 (+.3 is stock for the RAM)
MCH + .25
FSB + .30
CPU 1.3375

Set Mem to 4-4-4-12 & left all other mem settings at auto other than setting one thing to 'fast'.

In health I have all the wakeup from whatever stuff disabled as well as HPET (whatever that is) and fan controls disabled.

Anyway, here's some screen shots to show what's going on

If the reboot thing keeps happening I'll give the F7 a go and see how it is.

Mick

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi all,
Well, the reboot issue came about again with F8. What I found is that with the self powered USB hub in place it takes many attempts to get it started again e.g., turning off power and waiting a few minutes & veen after emoving battery for a few minutes; without the hub it starts after one time doing this. From what I can gather the HUB seems to keep supplying the MB with power when it's powered off and PSU plug removed - I noticed the LED on my webcam would stay on even with system off and PSU unplugged when I was having the problem, but other times when booting fine the LED would be off when powered down. So the HUB seems to be stopping the MB completely powering off at times - well that's my uneducated diagnosis anyway :D

I've flashed back to F7 (first time for me using this). Strange thing is everyone raves about this bios - I can't get past booting @ 440FSB with this bios though with F8 I could boot at 460FSB (most of the time :) ).

First attempt booting with F7 = same problem (5 seconds on / off in continuous cycles). So I removed power and battery and then booted fine. Then a few times it kicked me to backup BIOS F8 on boot. So dropped FSB back to 440 on F7 and not a prob booting since. But hey, at least kicking me to the backup BIOS is an improvement - something F8 never did (BTW - MB delivered with backup F3)

The frustrating thing about this MB is that (with either BIOS) I can run 2 x prime9 no problems; prime2004 no problem; microsoft memory diagnostic extended tests no problems; memtest86 no problems. With F8 I've done each test for over 24 hrs straight. I've only had F7 in place for 12 hours & did windows mem diag for 7 hours while I slept & now have had prime2004 running for 4 hrs without any probs.

With F8 I've even deliberately left air con off and window open on hot days (Summer here in Aus :D ). This left an ambient room temp of over 34C (temp probe in case 48C) to rule out temp as an issue - I ran prime2004 for 8 hours with CPU reaching 79C still no errors; then next day same with windows mem diagnostic & no problems.

It definitely seems to be an issue with booting & how motherboard applies or interprets voltages at this time. Seems the only thing that makes sense as once past the boot stage you go torture the %^$^% :twisted: out of the system without a problem.

BTW I briefly flirted with F9 before going back to F7. My advice - leave tis BIOS the %^$# alone, it's horribly unstable & resulted in my first blue screens since owning this MB, even with very mild overclocks.

The only certain things I can say are:
removing the USB self-powered HUB has helped me
Once past booting everything is fine.

Here's hoping they can finally get a BIOS together that addresses booting issues properly

See Ya

Mick :?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
BTW I briefly flirted with F9 before going back to F7.

F9? What motherboard are you talking about? We're talking about Gigabyte's GA-965P-DQ6. The last BIOS they published for it was F8. Where did you get F9

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Haven't got time to look now about to go out. But I'm sure I found the link to it @ these forums. If not search around. Not sure if it's beta or leaked but it's real :D

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Hi all,
Well, the reboot issue came about again with F8. What I found is that with the self powered USB hub in place it takes many attempts to get it started again e.g., turning off power and waiting a few minutes & veen after emoving battery for a few minutes; without the hub it starts after one time doing this. From what I can gather the HUB seems to keep supplying the MB with power when it's powered off and PSU plug removed - I noticed the LED on my webcam would stay on even with system off and PSU unplugged when I was having the problem, but other times when booting fine the LED would be off when powered down. So the HUB seems to be stopping the MB completely powering off at times - well that's my uneducated diagnosis anyway :D

blah-blah-blah...

See Ya

even the USB portion of your statement deserves it's own post in the hardware section, I think anyway, cuz it's getting away from the topic at hand, here we go...

I dunno what's going on, but just to tell ya that I have a self powering Targus USB 2.0 hub. No problems with it here with this mobo or any of the BIOS versions I've used. I also have a Logitech WebCam Orb & it stays on standby mode with the little red light on (no image or video capturing is done unless I activate some application that will use it), along with the USB hub even though my system is powered off. The Cam & the USB hub have always stayed on even with my previous systems & I've had them for a little over a year now. I think this is normal for my stuff since the mobo is still sending some sort of power so that I can turn my system on from the keyboard's space bar & since the hub is connected to the USB ports & so is my wireless keyboard's & hub.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Well guys my DQ6 is having the same issue, only i have a E6300, it will just go into continuos reboots. I had to manually cut power to make it stop. And then i had to remove the battery and short pins to reset the bios. I will have to go back to F7 since i want to OC but last time i try it was ok, but my 3D mark scores went down and so did my game performance. I will try F7 and keep on tinkering with it till i can get my 6300 stable at 3.0

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
even the USB portion of your statement deserves it's own post in the hardware section, I think anyway, cuz it's getting away from the topic at hand, here we go...

I dunno what's going on, but just to tell ya that I have a self powering Targus USB 2.0 hub. No problems with it here with this mobo or any of the BIOS versions I've used. I also have a Logitech WebCam Orb & it stays on standby mode with the little red light on (no image or video capturing is done unless I activate some application that will use it), along with the USB hub even though my system is powered off. The Cam & the USB hub have always stayed on even with my previous systems & I've had them for a little over a year now. I think this is normal for my stuff since the mobo is still sending some sort of power so that I can turn my system on from the keyboard's space bar & since the hub is connected to the USB ports & so is my wireless keyboard's & hub.

Agreed a bit off topic. Last I'll say about it in this thread. 100% now USB hub = boot problems for me with both F7 & F8. No USB hub = F7 no boot issues at all & F8 still a few boot issues but less so. The led on my cam only stays on with the hub attached and powered (only sometimes though) & also noticed keyboard leds & game pad also remain powered sometimes as well. None of these devices show any obvious signs of life wothout it attached. I take your point that some power needs to be maintained for wakeup stuff. Maybe I have a faulty device :?:

Anyway back to the proper topic - solid as a rock on F7 E6600 @ 3.15G (7x450) Mem PC6400 4-4-4-12

So basically I'm a little slower 3.15 v 3.2 but boot stabilty much better with F7 compared to F8. Past boot they were both fine.

See Ya

Mick

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Well guys my DQ6 is having the same issue, only i have a E6300, it will just go into continuos reboots. I had to manually cut power to make it stop. And then i had to remove the battery and short pins to reset the bios. I will have to go back to F7 since i want to OC but last time i try it was ok, but my 3D mark scores went down and so did my game performance. I will try F7 and keep on tinkering with it till i can get my 6300 stable at 3.0

I'd love to know what's causing these issues :?: . If it's simply the MB not kicking in the increased voltage settings or something until a second too late and therefore overclocked CPU & RAM not getting enough voltage to boot properly. I've noticed a few times in the BIOS under 'health' I will see the RAM Voltage as failed. I've got a good 750W PSU so I think that should be adequate.

Anyway here's hoping that the people at Gigabyte can work this out & doubly hoping that they haven't already done so & worked out that it's harware related & the only solution was v2.0 of the MB.

See Ya

Mick

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i have this mobo and bios version n after reading this i tryed it , i to 2 350fsb with no probs (ram limit its, 533ddr2) ram overclocks like hell it ands its only micron cheap stuff

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i have this mobo and bios version n after reading this i tryed it , i to 2 350fsb with no probs (ram limit its, 533ddr2) ram overclocks like hell it ands its only micron cheap stuff

You, my friend, must either work for Gigabyte or are on their "free sampler's list".

PS: please clarify your statement with mobo version & any other pertinent information. Thanks.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
mikeytjames said:
Well guys my DQ6 is having the same issue, only i have a E6300, it will just go into continuos reboots. I had to manually power... blah-blah-blah... last time i try it was ok, ... blah-blah-blah

Anyway here's hoping that the people at Gigabyte can work this out & doubly hoping that they haven't already done so & worked out that it's harware related & the only solution was v2.0 of the MB.

See Ya

Mick

I hope that this really isn't the case. I say this because if their only resolution to Gigglebyte's yet unannounced problem was to come out with a v2.0 mobo to correct whatever it is/was we'd have to figure out how to get around their statement listed in BOLD RED at the very beginning of this entire post regarding "no guaranatee to ova-crocking" (as they spelled it) with our version 1.0 mobo's.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I hope so. They may not know it or don't care, but I get mobo's an related equipment in quantities of 25+ for my office. I tinker at home & then implement my positive rsults in the office. They keep this up and it's NVIDIA, ABIT or MSI, etc. try out time.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
there been a bios update pritty much once a month since release for this mo-bo. MSI are good boards i had 478 (or wotever sockit it was for old p4s) and it got a 2.4 to 3.2 no worrys

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I have a solution:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1447949#1447949

So where does this mystery BETA version exist? I can't find it on Gigglebite's site. They hid it well.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I guess I can wait. It the Euro version is floating about, then, the US version hopefully is not too far off. I'll just start biting my nails for now. I have 18 left.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I guess I can wait. It the Euro version is floating about, then, the US version hopefully is not too far off. I'll just start biting my nails for now. I have 18 left.

Oh, you need to try this - I have the FSB at 429 and its still stable.

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

I gues you're referring to F9. My experience with it is :twisted: *&*(%*( :twisted: horrible. Yes the boot issue is fixed but the system is so unstable it's a joke.

So Far for me with E6600 & Corsair DDR2 C6400C4 4-4-4-12. All CPU stuff like Eist, C1E, no execute, & virtualization I have disabled - left thermal monitor on to be safe.
Mem @ 1:1 (or 2 as MB says).
PCIE @ auto
Mem Voltage + .325 (+.3 is stock for the RAM)
MCH +.30
FSB + .30
CPU 1.3375
tried more varioations with F9 (nothing worked):
2 x Prime 95 stable 8 hours; prime 2004 stable 8 hours; microsoft memory diagnositc all night no problems; memtest86+ 8 hours no problems. prime95 & prime2004 done while using comp as normal(e.g runnning virus scans, browsing net, using word & outlook, downloading with bitcomet). No errors any test had to stop due to time constraints.

System solid as a rock when running. :D
Cold boot problems = need to unplug power 30 secs then ok
Reboot from OS no problems

Can solve boot problems by setting voltages to Auto in BIOS. But CPU reads 1.55 - 1.65v in diagnostic utilities & runs too hot. Same utilities read 1.33 - 1.34 normally

F8
7x458 FSB = 3.2G CPU & 916 Mem @ 4-4-4-12
2 x Prime 95 stable; prime 2004; microsoft memory diagnositc; & memtest86+ all stable for abt 24 hrs. Once again using comp like normal while running prime tests.

System solid as a rock when running. :D

Even tried prime2004 for 6 hours with window open on hot day no aircon to see if heat an issue - ambient temp abt 34C & CPU sat between 68 and peaking at 79C at times & no probs at all
Cold boot problems = need to unplug power 30 then ok. sometimes have to do this many times with F8
Reboot from OS= sometimes powers right down & get cold boot problem. Usually takes clearing CMOS to get back running or at least many times with unplugging PSU

Once again, can solve boot problems by setting voltages to Auto in BIOS. But CPU reads 1.5 - 1.6v again

F9
7 x 458 FSB = 3.2G CPU & 916 Mem @ 4-4-4-12
2 x Prime 95 stable instant crash & Blue screen; prime 2004 blue screen within 1 ninute; microsoft memory diagnositc errors constantly ; memtest86+ 24 locks system

Sandra CPU & Mem Tests = crash & blue screen
virus scan = crash & blue screen
Rarely system up more than 5-10 minutes before blue screen

Cold boot = No Problem
Reboot from OS = No Problem

7x450 FSB = 3.15G CPU & 900 Mem @ 4-4-4-12
2 x Prime 95 stable instant crash & Blue screen; prime 2004 blue screen within 1 ninute; microsoft memory diagnositc errors constantly ; memtest86+ 24 constant errors

Sandra benchmarks = carsh & blue screen sometimes
virus scan = crash & blue screen within 10-15 minutes

System ok for light tasks

Cold boot = No Problem

7x442 FSB = 3.1G CPU & 884 Mem @ 4-4-4-12
2 x Prime 95 errors within 20 minutes sometimes blue screen; prime 2004 lasts about 15 minutes sometimes blue screen; microsoft memory diagnositc errors constantly ; memtest86+ 24 constant errors

Sandra memory test = ok soemtimes; somtimes locksup sandra
virus scan = blue screen within 40-50 minutes

System ok for light tasks

Cold boot = No Problem

7x428 FSB = 3.0G CPU & 856 Mem @ 4-4-4-12
2 x Prime 95 errors within 60 minutes; prime 2004 lasts about 30 minutes; microsoft memory diagnositc errors lots of errors on some tests ; memtest86+ 24 some tests produce streams of errors

Sandra memory test = ok
virus scan = sometimes crash & blue screen

Ok for most tasks with some crashes

Cold boot = No Problem

Auto voltages = same results. Upping voltages = same results.

God knows what they've done with F9 there is a new setting which has values 1 or 2 for people running 1000+ RAM. Maybe this needs a disabled setting as well.

I really think the boot issue is related to how the motherboard supplies power or detects power levels when booting. With F7 & F8, even with successful boots, it seems to power on softly for 3-5 seconds and then kick in the power. I think the power levels are too low to RAM and/or CPU or are being detected as too low during this period. Maybe this is why auto setings seem to solve the problem.

With F9 - if I'm not imagining things by now :? - this low power period seems much shorter; full power to fans etc seems to kick in much quicker.

So F9 solves my boot issues and creates more problems :evil:

Back to F7 with F8 as backup.

See Ya

Mick

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006

Send me the link so I can download it & I'll give it a whirl...