[SOLVED] Help with graphics card selection, for video editing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sgoss66

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hi all!

Please indulge one more newb, with graphics card questions!

I am not well versed at all with computer builds/components. However, I am starting a small business, and I need to do some HD video editing/publishing, mainly for youtube, to promote my products. I have done virtually zero video editing before, but recently I've tried to publish a few short videos on youtube and found that it take RIDICULOUS amounts of time to edit/create/process the video files, due to the low-end laptop I was using.

SO, I decided that I was going to need to upgrade to a reasonable machine, and so I set out to find the best, cheapest desktop PC that I could, that would do the job.

Along those lines, I just bought a used Dell OptiPlex 7010 MT (Mini-Tower), with these specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Internal Hard Drives:
1. 250 GB SATA (will run the OS)
2. 120 GB Crucial BX500 SSD (where I will store the video files while being edited/produced/uploaded, to utilize the speed of the SSD)
External storage: 2TB
Graphics: integrated Intel HD Graphics 2500

So, I THINK this system will do a reasonably good/fast job with my video editing/publishing projects given these specs/components (correct?), with the possible exception of the "graphics controller" side of the house.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to GPUs, and really don't even know how important the GPU is for the level of video editing I will be doing (nothing really high-end). I would assume, though, that I should add a GPU that would be at least some upgrade over the integrated/onboard graphics, but here are the limitations:

1. I don't want to change out the stock 275W power supply
2. I don't want to spend much more on this machine. I am willing to go with a very inexpensive/older/used card from ebay or whatever, as long as it will be a reasonable-enough upgrade to my current graphics capabilities to allow me to do what I want to do
3. I would like it to be powered solely by the pci-e slot, i.e. not having to connect it to a power cable.

There is a PCIe slot available for a GPU intall, with these specs (which are Greek to me)

PCIex16 (voltage supported 3.3V/12V)
Height 4.376" / 11.115cm
Length 6.6" / 16.765cm
Maximum wattage 75W

I should note that the Technical Guide for this machine specifically states that the Mini-Tower model of this machine, which I have, "supports full height (FH) cards."

So, I'd really appreciate it if I could get some suggestions/advice on a graphics card that is inexpensive (even if older/used), will meet my requirements, and will do a good job for what I'm trying to do with video editing?

THANKS for entertaining the cluelessness of a newb!

Steve

Solution
If you want to use GPU hardware accelerated video encoding, there are a number of things required, the most important being:
Your editing software must support that specific card's encoder
The GPU must support the format you are trying to accelerate encoding of.

For example, your Ivy Bridge IGP actually can accelerate encoding quite well using Intel Quick Sync Video, but it only does MPEG-2 or H.264.

AMD's Vega has Video Coding Engine 4.0 which can accelerate H.265 encoding as well but not VP9/VP8 for Youtube

nVidia's Pascal has NVENC which does the same as AMD (also no VP8/9) except for the GT1030 which cannot accelerate encoding at all. It can decode fine for playback, but not encode.

So the moral is...

sgoss66

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
jojesa --

Thanks for the info. You bring up an interesting point -- which is something I've been wondering (as I don't have the machine in-hand yet, to open up and look at) -- how many "bays" will I have available to install all this stuff? I know I'll have a PCIe slot for the GPU, but right now the only drive installed on the unit is the 250 GB HDD. I have to install the SSD, and if I buy the other HDD, will have to install it also. Am I going to have enough "bays" to have 3 drives installed (2 HDD, one SSD)? Will I have to disconnect the DVD-RW in order to have the 3 drives installed?

I see that you had to get "creative" with the installations of the drives, but without getting "creative," will I have the bays on the HDD cage to install 2 HDD and one SSD (with the GPU in the PCIe slot?) I purchased a Dell R494D caddy, which I THINK will allow me to "stack" a 3.5" drive AND the 2.5" SSD into one bay (if I got my part numbers right, and have my understanding correct), and so I think that should help?

THANKS for the info!

Steve

You have 2 optical bays (1 occupied) and two HDD bays (1 occupied).
Since the SSD doesn't have any moving parts you could stick it pretty much any where you want.
I have placed SSDs on the side panel on small form factor cases.

You won't need to disconnect the optical disk to have 2 HDD and one SSD.
The motherboard has 4 SATA ports.

The GPU in the PCIe slot won't interfere with any of the disks.

sgoss66

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
jojesa,

Good news, thank you! So, I could use the un-used optical bay for the SSD, and then the unused HDD bay for the new HDD? I'll just need to buy another SATA cable, and a power cable, OR, will one or both of those cables already available, unused, in the machine?

P.S. I was able to buy a used 1TB WD Black from ebay for $30...but will still need to know which way to set these up...

I'm guessing...

120 GB Crucial SSD -- for Windows 10 OS, and editing software
1 TB WD HDD -- for the "active" video files I'm in the process of editing/encoding
250 MB HDD -- a "scratch" disk, where I will "write" the video files to as they are finishing/encoding, and then store the completed video files? (To be transferred later, to either the 1 TB WD drive, or the NAS, as necessary, once the 250 MB drive begins to get "full?"

Is this a good/"correct" setup?

Steve

Looks good to me, faster HDD holds the working files.

Dell OptiPlex 7010 MT comes with two 3.5" HDD bays and power leads for exactly four SATA devices. As jojesa said, you can attach a 2.5" drive under the 5.25" optical bays so if not already there, I would move the SSD there or into the unused optical bay (double-backed or velcro tape is sufficient for light SSDs or you could use a single screw). It probably does not have extra SATA data cables unless the previous owner added them, so you may need another one of those.

NAS over gigabit uses much less CPU than USB (how much depends on the NIC, either Intel or Broadcom for the 7010) and adds less than 1ms of latency. Speed is limited to ~110MB/s after overhead but this is almost certainly faster than your 250GB disk anyway.

Apr 26, 2018
Will all of you just stop? Have you tried editing videos with your system without adding a GPU, you probably don't need it. Especially since you are a beginner, in a few years when you get more skills maybe you can utilize more hardware.

If you are able to, get a SSD with more capacity than 120GB for Windows OS and the editing software.
A 120GB (actual size 112GB ) will fill up mighty fast and it will run out space very soon.
A clean Windows OS install takes 14GB and after updates, drivers, paging file and hibernate files, it grows to almost half of that disk capacity.

sgoss66

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
BFG-9000,

Super. Again, I thank you! I think I now have enough info to stop asking questions (and that will please l.r.gardner, too -- sorry man, I'm a scientist and this is how my brain works!)

jojesa,

I will get another SSD down the road, if this one proves to be too small. I'm hoping with JUST the OS and editing software on there, and all other data, etc. limited to one of the other drives, that I'll be OK for awhile. If not, I can certainly buy a larger one...but for now, my budget is about tapped out! ;)

l.r.gardner,

After the nightmare I had trying to edit/encode/upload a simple 5-minute video to youtube, that I shot on my iPhone, and having it take over an hour, I don't ever want to have that problem again! I am trying to get the system set up, and my understanding far enough along, that I have a fighting chance of making some decent videos, and getting them encoded an uploaded in a reasonably short amount of time. I feel I can at least do that reasonably well now, so I'll call it good and go from here! ;)

Thank you, everyone, VERY much appreciated. I think I can put things together from here, and get started. I am 1000x farther along in my knowledge than when I started this thread, thanks to the super-informative answers you all offered. I appreciate your time and patience!

Thanks all!

Steve