Question help with graphics card upgrade

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi All
hope all is well. I haven't gamed much lately due to work etc now I want to get back into pc gaming. my rig has a gtx 970 when I play horizon zero dawn I find the image sometime it stutters .
I am thinking is it cause the graphics card is old ? if I was to upgrade what would be the best to go for bearing mind my pc is a mini itx.

my rig,
i5 6600k
gigabyte z170n gaming 5
8gig corsair ddr4
Asus strix gtx 970
silverstone rvz02 case
silverstone sfx-l 500w
roccat tkl
Logitech 502
samsung ssd 250gig
samsung 2tb hdd

Last edited:

rjohnson98126

Honorable
Jan 2, 2019
IF you're not ready to buy an entirely new computer, THEN you can certainly get a better graphics card with what you have and I would recommend the RTX 2060 which sells for about $220.

a your i5 is comparable to my Ryzen 5 1600, your 8G ram is on this side of sufficient, and your 500W PSU is likewise able to handle a 2060. the 2060 isn't sexy, it isn't remotely new, but it is reliable and will blow your GTX 970 out of the water.

(also -- IMO -- don't buy secondhand, def don't buy on ebay, and dont bother with another GTX when you can get an RTX that benchmarks slightly higher.)

Reactions: Triple955i

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
IF you're not ready to buy an entirely new computer, THEN you can certainly get a better graphics card with what you have and I would recommend the RTX 2060 which sells for about $220.

a your i5 is comparable to my Ryzen 5 1600, your 8G ram is on this side of sufficient, and your 500W PSU is likewise able to handle a 2060. the 2060 isn't sexy, it isn't remotely new, but it is reliable and will blow your GTX 970 out of the water.

(also -- IMO -- don't buy secondhand, def don't buy on ebay, and dont bother with another GTX when you can get an RTX that benchmarks slightly higher.)
O wow looks like there is life in the old dog lol brilliant i will look for a rtx 2060 !

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Any particular brand you recommend?

there is life in the old dog
that really depends on what type of performance you are expecting, with what range of in-game settings, and in what games in particular.

this 6600K isn't going to be able to process much data for newer games with any decent settings in place.
and without the data provided by the CPU the newer model GPU won't be rendering many frames per second.
Any particular brand
i'd be more concerned about the size of any card and it's cooling system than really any particular brand.

as far as i remember those Silverstone Z02 cases are sort of odd shaped so may have issue fitting certain models.

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
that really depends on what type of performance you are expecting, with what range of in-game settings, and in what games in particular.

this 6600K isn't going to be able to process much data for newer games with any decent settings in place.
and without the data provided by the CPU the newer model GPU won't be rendering many frames per second.

i'd be more concerned about the size of any card and it's cooling system than really any particular brand.

as far as i remember those Silverstone Z02 cases are sort of odd shaped so may have issue fitting certain models.
The case has separate part for the graphics card ! It takes a full size card.

I would be happy to game at 1080p
this doesn't really answer the questions.

games from 10+ years ago, even on their highest settings, could perform significantly better than anything from the last 5 or so years even at their lowest settings.

and the concept of good performance can vary from user to user.
i'd say @1080p anything getting less than 100fps, even on the newest most demanding games out there, with anything less than medium settings in place is considered low/bad performance.

As far as eBay, if you were to buy a used card that’s probably the safest way to buy. If I’m not mistaken they have buyer protection so at least you get i think 30 days to file a claim, so if the card didn’t work as described you should be able to file a claim. I’ve bought many cards there, most recently my rtx 3080. Biggest things are read the description and look at the sellers feedback.

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Hi
Not sure you will read this but recently bought a rtx2060 super. The game play is slightly stuttering and on wolfenstein the bew closuss i keep getting the samw warming as is did with my gtx970,

View: https://imgur.com/a/nU9rvLI