Help with graphics card?

Finnus

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Recommendation for graphics card?
So I'm thinking of upgrading my ageing NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 graphics card to something a bit better. The problem is I'm terrible with getting my head around these things.

I'll only be wanting to play Wildstar, and just looking for a boost to consistent fps of about 60 or so.

Here are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
H87-HD3 Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
8GB RAM

I was recommended to get the MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card.

But I'd like to hear the opinion of others as well. I have around £200 to spend, with a stretch of £250 is needs be.

Additional info: What's the difference between PNY, Palit, EVGA, MSI etc?
Is is possible to buy say, a gtx 770, and have it running along side my 450?

Solution
For Wildstar, a GTX 760 should work just fine. The game is pretty poorly optimized at the moment, but it will probably be better at release. Make sure you have a powerful enough PSU to run whatever card you choose.

For the difference between manufacturers, its hard to go wrong with any one. The GPU itself is made by the same company so the only differences are the boards and the coolers. I prefer to buy EVGA cards because they are known for overclocking very well.

And yes, it is possible to run your GTS 450 along side your new card, although it won't have much use. Granted your PSU is powerful enough to run both at full load, your GTS 450 could become a PhysX GPU, so all PhysX operations would be performed on it instead of your...

Haloaddict44

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
For Wildstar, a GTX 760 should work just fine. The game is pretty poorly optimized at the moment, but it will probably be better at release. Make sure you have a powerful enough PSU to run whatever card you choose.

For the difference between manufacturers, its hard to go wrong with any one. The GPU itself is made by the same company so the only differences are the boards and the coolers. I prefer to buy EVGA cards because they are known for overclocking very well.

And yes, it is possible to run your GTS 450 along side your new card, although it won't have much use. Granted your PSU is powerful enough to run both at full load, your GTS 450 could become a PhysX GPU, so all PhysX operations would be performed on it instead of your primary GPU. Not many games use PhysX in this way though, so unless you plan on running Assassin's Creed IV or Batman: Arkham Origins, its not really worth it.

Solution
there are different brands with the gtx760 implementation. reference design gpu of any brand wont may any difference. check this dual fan evga, factory overclocked!would make a good pair with your i5.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1a7Wj
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1a7Wj/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1a7Wj/benchmarks/

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£191.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £191.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 23:37 BST+0100)

at 1080p 2gb would be more than enough. for such gpu though you would need a at least a 30A on the 12v rail capable psu with 2x 6pin pcie power cables.! your mobo is a very good one but only crossfire capable!
there isnt a point running the 450 along side as a dedicated physx processor. it wont make any difference. gtx gpu are very capable on doing that.!it would also be a waste of power.!