[SOLVED] Help with homebuilt PC

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Hello!

I want to make a homebuild, but with this being my first, I'm not sure if everything will actually fit - either on the mobo, or in the case.

So far, the component list is

Cabinet in mind: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB TG miditower

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX z490-F GAMING

CPU Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake CPU

Corsair RM850x psu

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Super Dual EVO OC v2 8GB

Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4-3200 - 2x8GB

Samsung m2 evo 970 pro 250gb for OS and essentials

Kingston A400 ssd 1tb for everything else
____

Now for what I'm not sure about is, what do I need to finish the build?

For thermal paste I'm thinking Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Grease

CPU Cooler: Thermalright MAcho Rev.B

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC88 DUal-band AC3100 (This needs to fit in)

The bigger question here is, does all of this fit in the case- and on the mobo?
Do I need to buy mounting screws or do they come with the cabinet? parts? etc?
Are there better cabinets for the same price or cheaper?
My budget is flexible as to make things actually fit, and get something that will last into the future as well.

If there's anything I haven't considered please point it out.

Solution
You probably don't need the extra cores of an i9-10900K (or a Ryzen 3900X or 3950X, for that matter), as games won't likely be really benefiting from them for a number of years, and an 8-core, 16-thread processor like an i7-10700K (or a Ryzen 3700X if you went the AMD route) would likely be plenty, and free up more of the budget to put toward graphics hardware. A 10700K should get virtually identical performance to a 10900K in today's games, and that is not likely to change any time soon. And if you are not overclocking, a 10700 (non-K) should perform pretty close to its unlocked counterpart.

True. My point about AMD vs Intel is that AMD has more room for upgrades and will accommodate next generation systems. The only (at...

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Have you consider?
The CFM of the fan. enough to cool the system.
how many fans?
consider AIO in future.
https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?model=101038&devicetype=7&mfr=ASU&line=ROG

Yes All will fit but what if later you want add HDD?
Hello?!
Your Cooler may not fit or will hit the side panel!
And don't drill hole to accomodate it!
I've No idea what the CFM og the fan is, this is why I need help.
1tb SSD is more than enough for my needs, i dont see a need for another HDD.

How do I figure out what cooler can fit? And which would be the best?
Perhaps AIO would be good, but what about maintenance? I know nothing of watercooling, which is why I wanna stay with air.

g-unit1111

Titan
Do not buy the i9-10900K, because it will require a massive cooling solution, preferably a custom one, and a motherboard with really strong VRMs. The headaches are just not worth the investment. The Ryzen 9 3950X will be a much better investment, for not that much more money. And more money would also be spent on a better GPU, preferably something like a 2080 Super. What is your overall budget?

As above, its a solid System BUT there could be better choices for the money.

Also the macho doesn't fit in that case, according g to the case specs at least.

Post your budget and location and proposed uses and you will get good unbiased advice.

Future proofing? Good idea but only upto a point, 12c/24t cpu's arent really going to be beneficial apart from for professional productivity no matter how many years you look down the line.

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
I'm very much a Intel fan when it comes to cpu's, so naturally I'm scared of amd not living up to my expectations.

My GPU is very new, so I'm holding on to that for some time to come.

My budget is floating, depending on if I should wait until end october/november and harvest Black Friday deals, or build next month.
But it's around 2200 US dollar (1800 euro) give or take.
Location is Denmark.

I don't have the monitor yet, but I'm aiming for 144hz, 27", 1440p(or higher).
The monitor is NOT in the 2200usd budget - 2200 is put away purely for the computer.

My use is primarily heavy graphics games, i like ultra settings.

Last edited:
I'm very much a Intel fan when it comes to cpu's, so naturally I'm scared of amd not living up to my expectations.

My budget is floating, depending on if I should wait until end october/november and harvest Black Friday deals, or build next month.
Location is Denmark.

The monitor is NOT in the 2200usd budget - 2200 is put away purely for the computer.

Don't be scared of amd, gen 2 ryzen has pretty much had all its original pitfalls ironed out.

The fact is you'll get more for your money, a 3700x will leave you a massive amount of spare cash from your budget.

That's spare cash you'll be needing when you realise that the 2060 super is going to be the weak part with a 1440p 100htz+ screen. It absolutely will not manage ultra settings at that res or refresh.

g-unit1111

Titan

I can see that, but AMD has actually exceeded Intel's offerings from the last couple of generations. You can't go wrong with either, but the Intel 10 series has no current or planned upgrade paths, whereas AMD's X570 and B550 boards will allow you to upgrade to 4th generation Ryzen CPUs when available. However, do heed what I previously said about the i9-10900K, it's not worth the headaches or the cost of the system that you require.

I've built 4 Ryzen rigs in the last year or so, plus I just bought a Ryzen-based laptop, and I can safely say that all the rigs I've built have been very solid performers.

OK that's fine. But if you're planning on ultra settings, a 2060 will not cut it. You need at least a 2070 Super or a 2080 KO for that. Most games rely on having a powerful GPU and don't rely as much on the CPU. Having a good CPU is important, but not as important as the GPU.

Location is Denmark.

Don't rely on Black Friday. The high end items you want are almost never discounted. It's usually cheap, high volume, low yield junk that gets discounted. Those deals are mainly designed to get you in the door and that's about it. If you want premium components, you're going to pay a premium for them no matter what time of year it is.

If you're going on that as your display, you need a strong GPU. A 2060 just won't cut it. You need a really strong GPU for that.

No holds barred really here for an amd based rig.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (2959.00kr @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (753.00kr @ Alternate)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (1324.00kr @ Alternate)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (679.00kr @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (988.00kr @ Alternate)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (1968.00kr @ CDON DK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case (996.00kr @ CDON DK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (999.00kr @ CDON DK)
Total: 10666.00kr
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-14 18:44 CEST+0200

Could cut that down fairly easily money wise and still do something that will pair with a way better gpu than a 2060 super for 1440p.

You probably don't need the extra cores of an i9-10900K (or a Ryzen 3900X or 3950X, for that matter), as games won't likely be really benefiting from them for a number of years, and an 8-core, 16-thread processor like an i7-10700K (or a Ryzen 3700X if you went the AMD route) would likely be plenty, and free up more of the budget to put toward graphics hardware. A 10700K should get virtually identical performance to a 10900K in today's games, and that is not likely to change any time soon. And if you are not overclocking, a 10700 (non-K) should perform pretty close to its unlocked counterpart.

At 1440p, 144Hz with ultra settings, you will ideally want as much graphics performance as you can get, and while a 2060 SUPER is arguably decent enough for 1440p in current titles, with a ~$2200 budget you should be able to do better. At that resolution and settings, the graphics hardware is bound to be the limiting factor to your performance in most demanding games, so shifting some of your budget from the CPU to the GPU is probably worth doing.

Don't rely on Black Friday. The high end items you want are almost never discounted. It's usually cheap, high volume, low yield junk that gets discounted. Those deals are mainly designed to get you in the door and that's about it. If you want premium components, you're going to pay a premium for them no matter what time of year it is.
Rather than focusing of Black Friday, the main thing to note here is that Nvidia is expected to be announcing a new generation of high-end graphics cards within the next few weeks, and the highest-end models might go on sale next month. A new generation of high-end AMD cards should be coming soon as well. So chances are good that you will be able to get a card that offers a decent amount more performance for the money if you wait a couple months or so. Plus, there's a good chance that raytraced lighting effects will become the norm for the next generation of "ultra" graphics settings, and the new cards may handle that significantly better than the current 20-series models, which often struggle to even hit 60fps at native 1080p rendering with raytracing enabled.

g-unit1111

Titan

True. My point about AMD vs Intel is that AMD has more room for upgrades and will accommodate next generation systems. The only (at least for now) known upgrade path from the 10700K is the 10900K which, any Google search will tell you about the heat problems and extreme power consumption associated with that particular CPU. It's basically the 2020 equivalent of the FX-9590, which is still considered one of the worst CPUs ever made.

At 1440p, 144Hz with ultra settings, you will ideally want as much graphics performance as you can get, and while a 2060 SUPER is arguably decent enough for 1440p in current titles, with a ~$2200 budget you should be able to do better. At that resolution and settings, the graphics hardware is bound to be the limiting factor to your performance in most demanding games, so shifting some of your budget from the CPU to the GPU is probably worth doing.

Yeah it's decent, but it will struggle with Ultra settings at a high refresh rate. I do agree that it is warranted there.

Rather than focusing of Black Friday, the main thing to note here is that Nvidia is expected to be announcing a new generation of high-end graphics cards within the next few weeks, and the highest-end models might go on sale next month.

Usually we get a lot of "wait for Black Friday" posts around here usually starting in July. But my point still stands that it's not what people think it is, and if they're expecting to buy a $2200 system for $1800 that ain't happening. It would be like trying to buy a $45,000 Lexus for the price of a $35,000 Subaru. You can manipulate the numbers all you want but in the end if you want high end components, you will pay high end prices every time. If you want cheap, brand X, no name components then by all means go for a Black Friday rig. To use my car analogy, the dealer will happily give you discounts on the Versa, which they have 200 of, but not on the fully loaded Murano, which they might only have one or two of.

A new generation of high-end AMD cards should be coming soon as well. So chances are good that you will be able to get a card that offers a decent amount more performance for the money if you wait a couple months or so. Plus, there's a good chance that raytraced lighting effects will become the norm for the next generation of "ultra" graphics settings, and the new cards may handle that significantly better than the current 20-series models, which often struggle to even hit 60fps at native 1080p rendering with raytracing enabled.

That is true, and that is where having the 2060 could come in handy because that will provide some insurance when the next generation of cards arrives. But usually the next generation of cards comes with next generation price premiums, and if you want to avoid that, it's usually better to buy after the holiday season.

Solution

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
No holds barred really here for an amd based rig.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (2959.00kr @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (753.00kr @ Alternate)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (1324.00kr @ Alternate)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (679.00kr @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (988.00kr @ Alternate)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (1968.00kr @ CDON DK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case (996.00kr @ CDON DK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (999.00kr @ CDON DK)
Total: 10666.00kr
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-14 18:44 CEST+0200

Could cut that down fairly easily money wise and still do something that will pair with a way better gpu than a 2060 super for 1440p.

I might actually be convinced to try out amd processors.
Last time I did, there was a thing with amd cpu's working Better with amd cpu's - is this still a thing or do they Work just as well with nvidia?
Also - I do notice that ryzens run at lower clockspeed than Intels. Is this directly comparable?

Would this build, with the 2060 super, be worth it if I want to upgrade in the future?
Also I do want to keep the 2060 super, and I can cut Prices from using some og my current hardware, like the nvme ssd, SSD.
What about the Ram? Kingston hyperx, Will they Work in this build?
I'm asking because I have these parts already.

I'm considering a build that easily can be upgraded once the 30 series of nvidia, gpus or amd gpus are out.

I might actually be convinced to try out amd processors.

You should. For the last 15 years until around 2 weeks ago, I only had Intel rigs, because they were always the fastest. My last AMD was the Athlon 64 4200 X2 in 2005.

The 3700x is an amazing chip, runs BF5 ultra smooth at high frames, ultra settings and 1440p, while running a VM and a load of startup rubbish in the background and gets to 60 Celcius while doing all that.

Intel is not the gamer's choice anymore, because it was always about building the fastest rigs for the best price. That's changed, Ryzen has tipped all that upside down.

Plus that leaves more cash over for a bit of bling..

qxSLpL0.jpg

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello!

I want to make a homebuild, but with this being my first, I'm not sure if everything will actually fit - either on the mobo, or in the case.

So far, the component list is

Cabinet in mind: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB TG miditower

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX z490-F GAMING

CPU Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake CPU

Corsair RM850x psu

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Super Dual EVO OC v2 8GB

Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4-3200 - 2x8GB

Samsung m2 evo 970 pro 250gb for OS and essentials

Kingston A400 ssd 1tb for everything else
____

Now for what I'm not sure about is, what do I need to finish the build?

For thermal paste I'm thinking Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Grease

CPU Cooler: Thermalright MAcho Rev.B

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC88 DUal-band AC3100 (This needs to fit in)

The bigger question here is, does all of this fit in the case- and on the mobo?
Do I need to buy mounting screws or do they come with the cabinet? parts? etc?
Are there better cabinets for the same price or cheaper?
My budget is flexible as to make things actually fit, and get something that will last into the future as well.

If there's anything I haven't considered please point it out.
The cooler don't fit in the case and it comes with paste.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Location is Denmark.

1440p monitor then get a 10600K or 10700K their no reason to get a 10900K for gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | 2132.00kr
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | 753.00kr @ Alternate
Motherboard | MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | 1500.00kr
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | 512.00kr @ Alternate
Storage | Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | 790.00kr @ Alternate
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | 1089.00kr @ CDON DK
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card | 4419.00kr @ Alternate
Case | Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | 1055.00kr @ CDON DK
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | 1015.00kr @ CDON DK
Case Fan | Corsair LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fan | 309.00kr @ Alternate
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | 13574.00kr
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 00:32 CEST+0200 |

https://www.happii.dk/Bundkort/MSI-...erunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

https://www.bj-trading.dk/bjshop/de...unner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricerunner

https://www.alternate.dk/html/product/1612064

Last edited:

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Alright thanks for all the help with the actual build, i can see that I'll have to really read up on ryzen to make a proper decision.

Now back to one of the initial questions: do I need special tools for assembly, and do I need mounting screws etc - or do they come with the case?

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
Alright thanks for all the help with the actual build, i can see that I'll have to really read up on ryzen to make a proper decision.

Now back to one of the initial questions: do I need special tools for assembly, and do I need mounting screws etc - or do they come with the case?
I am also using an AMD processor since I been on the intel platform. My Last change was also AMD A8
Now it is Ryzen 7.

That last rig lasted 7 years.

You should also remember that a computer will attract dust, so make sure you clean it up. If there is compress air use it. If not use the vacuum cleaner and a brush

You get everything you need when you buy a new case and motherboard.

You need a philips (crosshead) screwdriver and some common sense / patience.

The icue case you picked is nice but it has a 160mm restriction on cpu cooler height.

The macho rev b won't fit in that case, infact not many 140mm tower coolers will do.
If you're set on the case them the only one I know of under 160mm is the silentiumpc fortis 3 he1425 (which is a great cooler that I personally use).

The case I put in that build will take just about any 140mm tower cooler out there.

Yes your current ram is fine for ryzen

If you do decide on ryzen a b550 board is good enough and will save you more money (I just couldnt find any available on pc partpicker)

Davidpihl

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | 3192.00kr @ CDON DK
CPU Cooler | NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler |-
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard |-
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | 860.00kr @ CDON DK
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | 634.00kr @ CDON DK
Storage | Kingston A400 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | 894.00kr @ CDON DK
Video Card | Asus GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC V2 Video Card |-
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case | 996.00kr @ CDON DK
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | 1015.00kr @ CDON DK
Wireless Network Adapter | Asus PCE-AC88 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter | 811.00kr @ Alternate
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | 8402.00kr
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 09:32 CEST+0200 |

I Think this could be the build I would go for.
Final question, does the AIO cooler fit in the top og the case?

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_...68096,182815,203612,51984,185912,213345,66673

Looking at those there's plenty of room for an aio top exhaust.

Failing that the case has a front mounting point for a radiator behind the included front rgb fans, meaning you don't have to disturb them at all.

Your build is solid, I wouldnt normally recommend the 3800x over the 3700x but the price is so close betweem the 2 as to not matter