[SOLVED] Help with installing a new graphics card ?

amarchie74

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Hi
I am trying to help my son put in a new graphics card. He has a prebuilt pc but I can’t seem to work out how to connect it. We have it in place and have viewed tutorials on how to connect but we can’t get to the bit we need to as the screws are fixed in place and can’t be removed. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Solution
On a basic pc, the monitor is usually plugged into the rear of the motherboard and the processor chip will have an integrated graphics adapter. This only requires a minimal power supply. A pre built pc will come only with a sufficiently strong psu to power the ininitially installed parts.
All of the cables available will be already attached to the psu.
Only if you find a 6 pin or better pcie cable can you run your new graphics card.
One installs a separate discrete graphics card to get better fast action gaming.

What to do??
Either buy and install a stronger power supply, or, you could return the graphics card in favor of a weaker one that does not need aux power.
GTX1650 or GTX1050ti will usually not need aux power.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi
I am trying to help my son put in a new graphics card. He has a prebuilt pc but I can’t seem to work out how to connect it. We have it in place and have viewed tutorials on how to connect but we can’t get to the bit we need to as the screws are fixed in place and can’t be removed. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Going to need a more information or very clear pictures.

What exact prebuilt and what exact video card.

Graphics cards fit into a pcie slot.
That is how they are connected.
You may have already done that.
If the card in question has some ports for aux power, those leads come from the power supply.
Pre built pc's will only have a psu sufficient for the original components installed.
If your new graphics card is very strong, and the leads are not present, you may need to upgrade the psu.

That is why more details are needed on this.

amarchie74

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Graphics cards fit into a pcie slot.
That is how they are connected.
You may have already done that.
If the card in question has some ports for aux power, those leads come from the power supply.
Pre built pc's will only have a psu sufficient for the original components installed.
If your new graphics card is very strong, and the leads are not present, you may need to upgrade the psu.

That is why more details are needed on this.
Thank you for your help. We can't find the 6/8 pin to plug the graphic card into the pc? I’ll try and post the bit we can’t get into. Thanks again.

What is the make/model of your new graphics card ?
If it has a place on top for a 6 or 8 pin connector, that has to come from the psu.
If the psu has no such connector, which is likely, then it does not have sufficient power for the new gpu.
That is the nature of pre-built pc's.

Your graphics card needs a 6 pin psu connector to run.
If you do not have either a 6 pin or a 6+2 pin power lead on your psu, you will need to buy a new psu.
Do not attempt to use some sort of molex to 6 pin adapters.
You run the risk of overloading the psu and frying all that it is connected to.

And... do not go cheap on buying a psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.
Do not buy one.

A quality psu is a long term investment.
Buy one sufficiently strong to handle future graphics upgrades.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The easy way to figure quality is to look at the warranty.
You want a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a seasonic focus GX550 with a 10 year warranty:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
If you find something stronger, that is ok too.
Often the next step up does not cost much more.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

amarchie74

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Your graphics card needs a 6 pin psu connector to run.
If you do not have either a 6 pin or a 6+2 pin power lead on your psu, you will need to buy a new psu.
Do not attempt to use some sort of molex to 6 pin adapters.
You run the risk of overloading the psu and frying all that it is connected to.

And... do not go cheap on buying a psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.
Do not buy one.

A quality psu is a long term investment.
Buy one sufficiently strong to handle future graphics upgrades.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The easy way to figure quality is to look at the warranty.
You want a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a seasonic focus GX550 with a 10 year warranty:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
If you find something stronger, that is ok too.
Often the next step up does not cost much more.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Thank you so much for such in depth information! I really do appreciate it. I had assumed that the cable would be in the machine ready to plug in. Could it be behind one of the those fixed panels? Sorry, I really don’t know anything about pcs and I’m trying so hard to help my son. I do understand what you have written though. I am hoping we don’t have to buy a new psu to be honest. For his current set up, there doesn’t appear to be a graphics card there? Can these be internal? He definitely has one. Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you so much for such in depth information! I really do appreciate it. I had assumed that the cable would be in the machine ready to plug in. Could it be behind one of the those fixed panels? Sorry, I really don’t know anything about pcs and I’m trying so hard to help my son. I do understand what you have written though. I am hoping we don’t have to buy a new psu to be honest. For his current set up, there doesn’t appear to be a graphics card there? Can these be internal? He definitely has one. Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
I don't have a clue what the 2 picture is.
Take the other side of the case off you should see the power supply then and might have the lug for the video card.

On a basic pc, the monitor is usually plugged into the rear of the motherboard and the processor chip will have an integrated graphics adapter. This only requires a minimal power supply. A pre built pc will come only with a sufficiently strong psu to power the ininitially installed parts.
All of the cables available will be already attached to the psu.
Only if you find a 6 pin or better pcie cable can you run your new graphics card.
One installs a separate discrete graphics card to get better fast action gaming.

What to do??
Either buy and install a stronger power supply, or, you could return the graphics card in favor of a weaker one that does not need aux power.
GTX1650 or GTX1050ti will usually not need aux power.

Solution