Question Help with Internet Latency?

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place or if I'm just a novice with all this. I recently moved houses and setup my internet plan. Somewhere around 1gb down and around 40mbps up. The speeds via my provider I am getting more or less as intended. The issue however is the latency going on. The idle latency is not great, nor is the download latency, but the upload latency is downright terrible. I'll attach any pictures as needed and provide whatever as needed but I really would like to get this fixed as it just makes gaming unplayable for fps games. I hooked up the output to correspond with the room I wanted the router to work in, so seeing as I have internet, I don't think I wired anything wrong coax cable-wise.

The "Anteronix" brand is something I am not familiar with and the cables with the splitter attached were all done previously by whoever lived here before me. I have a splitter of my own that I can try out using but as I've mentioned I'm a novice when it comes to the wiring of these cables and trying to maximize the best signal strength possible for the best speeds. Do I need better components like splitters to work with? Did I wire anything incorrectly? Any advice is appreciated. Also the speed test stats aren't that bad at the moment but in-game, the latency spikes up anywhere from 0.2ms delay to 390ms delay every couple of seconds or so, if that matters at all, hence why the games feel unplayable.

Link to Images:

View: https://imgur.com/a/iCRlcI0

USAFRet

Titan
Also the speed test stats aren't that bad at the moment but in-game, the latency spikes up anywhere from 0.2ms delay to 390ms delay every couple of seconds or so, if that matters at all, hence why the games feel unplayable.
If the speedtest is OK, and games are weird....there is almost certainly nothing you can do about that.

'ping' is the round trip time between your system and the game server.
Everything outboard of your house has an impact. And all of that is outside your control.

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
If the speedtest is OK, and games are weird....there is almost certainly nothing you can do about that.

'ping' is the round trip time between your system and the game server.
Everything outboard of your house has an impact. And all of that is outside your control.
Well the speeds for the speed test are alright. But just doing a speed test 1 minute later after taking the one posted, the latency for download goes to 40 and the latency for the upload goes to 150. So the latency is super inconsistent. Also I moved 5 minutes away from my old home and never once was having this issue at that place. It’s basically 5 minutes of a location difference, the same internet speed plan, same provider, same equipment minus what’s in the coax cable box outside. Is there really nothing that can be done however? In my previous places I lived I always had a tech come out and they installed the ISP’s proprietary splitters and other equipment and whatnot. Since they didn’t do that here could that potentially have some impact or virtually not at all do you think?

None of that equipment matters really. The speed the data travels in copper or fiber is some fixed percentage of the speed of light. So latency is mostly a measure of distance.

Problems with say signal levels etc will cause data loss and not delays.

The only other things that affects the latency is if data is being held in buffers, mostly because some connection is over utilized. Now if the overload issue is in your house then you can do something about it but with a internet connection as large as you have it is not likely you are overloading the connection. Now speedtest is intentionally loading your connection to the max so it might show higher ping times while it is doing the test. Not sure I have not looked into what those latency numbers really mean but if you were to run a ping command in a background window and then run speedtest you will see the ping times increase while the program is running and then drop to normal as soon as it stops.

I will assume you are using a ethernet cable, latency spikes are extremely common because unlike almost any other form of network wifi retransmits damaged data rather than just dropping it.

You can check the signal levels in your cable modem but again you will see data loss not latency issues when the levels are wrong. It might also reduce the speedtest rates if the loss is high enough but it will not affect the latency.

As a added thought check your machine to be sure you do not have any form of QoS or so called "gaming" network stuff. This many times comes bundled with the bloatware in motherboards and video cards. This can cause data to be delayed and increase the ping times.

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
None of that equipment matters really. The speed the data travels in copper or fiber is some fixed percentage of the speed of light. So latency is mostly a measure of distance.

Problems with say signal levels etc will cause data loss and not delays.

The only other things that affects the latency is if data is being held in buffers, mostly because some connection is over utilized. Now if the overload issue is in your house then you can do something about it but with a internet connection as large as you have it is not likely you are overloading the connection. Now speedtest is intentionally loading your connection to the max so it might show higher ping times while it is doing the test. Not sure I have not looked into what those latency numbers really mean but if you were to run a ping command in a background window and then run speedtest you will see the ping times increase while the program is running and then drop to normal as soon as it stops.

I will assume you are using a ethernet cable, latency spikes are extremely common because unlike almost any other form of network wifi retransmits damaged data rather than just dropping it.

You can check the signal levels in your cable modem but again you will see data loss not latency issues when the levels are wrong. It might also reduce the speedtest rates if the loss is high enough but it will not affect the latency.
So is there really nothing that can be done? Like I would be fine if In game the latency spiked either ever few seconds instead of constantly or even just not to the extent of 300ms delay. But is there nothing that can be done via a component part level? And yeah I’m wired but that’s just unfortunate. The speeds are good but man gaming with this just makes it unplayable.

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
As a added thought check your machine to be sure you do not have any form of QoS or so called "gaming" network stuff. This many times comes bundled with the bloatware in motherboards and video cards. This can cause data to be delayed and increase the ping times.
And how would I check that do you happen to know?

One of the very common programs is called CFOSspeed. I forget the other names but asus calls it gamersfirst.

You need to do your testing with a actual ping command. I would leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 constantly and see if you see corresponding increases when the game says you have issues. Games tell lies about network all the time. If the game were to get delayed processing video data it will then blame the network for the delay even though the data was sitting in a buffer waiting for the game to read it. With a actual ping command the game is not involved but it can still be impacted if you were to spike all the cpu to 100%

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
One of the very common programs is called CFOSspeed. I forget the other names but asus calls it gamersfirst.

You need to do your testing with a actual ping command. I would leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 constantly and see if you see corresponding increases when the game says you have issues. Games tell lies about network all the time. If the game were to get delayed processing video data it will then blame the network for the delay even though the data was sitting in a buffer waiting for the game to read it. With a actual ping command the game is not involved but it can still be impacted if you were to spike all the cpu to 100%
In game its called Network RTT Jitter, and when I run the ping command it doesn't reflect the issues I am having in-game even though I physically see and experience them at that same time.

If you can not see the problem with a normal ping command it means the connection between your house and the ISP and all the way to google dns (8.8.8.8) is good.

It either means there is some issue in the path between your ISP and the game company ISP or more likely the game is telling lies. Even though it does not really make sense I have seen people fix these network issues by changing video settings. The only reason this can work is that the process in the game that is measuring the network delays is not isolated from process that is doing say rendering. Your ping command is running in a completely separate window/process so the windows OS is allocating the CPU time.

Not sure this is one of the hardest things to fix. You could try to run a tracert to the game server. The game server itself likely will not respond to ping but you should find a router in the path closer to the server that will. Problem is even if you find a device that will show the problem with a ping command you can't really do much about it. It is likely in a ISP network you are not a direct customer. The only reason to do it is more to confirm it is not a real network problem and it is more some setting in the game or maybe in windows.