[SOLVED] Help with low fps after cleaning

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
So my question is what should I do in this situation:
I have a low-mid end PC. My cpu and ram are good to go, but my gpu is pretty old
I cleaned the motherboard and slots with compressed air and isopropyl alcohol, removed gpu and rams and cleaned everything

Don't know if its the problem or if its a huge coincidence, but since then, the main games I play:
NBA 2k 50ish fps -> 25ish
Rainbow Six Siege 40ish fps -> 15ish
Cyberpunk 2077 15~20 fps -> 1fps/Completely unplayable, wont even load
Didn't see a huge difference in games that didn't take too much of a toll on my pc, like lol, overwatch and rocket league. But I did notice low fps difference between high and low quality graphics

Already reverted nvidia drivers to previous ones, reinstalled them, stress tested it, reseted the whole ssd up with new windows and drivers and stuff. Nothing yet
I know my PC aint that good, but the problem is I was SURE these games were playable at decent fps. Is there any way to revert whatever I did when cleaning or anything else?

My Specs:
Core I5-9400K
Asus TUF Gaming B360m-plus 2280
2x8 HyperX RAM
NVidia GTX 750 1GB ( Yeap, its bad, but I still used it for games without problems until now )
Adata SSD 512GB
Toshiba HD 1TB
Corsair 650W White

Solution
See this thread and post #16 by the OP

Your lanes never dropped but link speed could have been the result of poor contact that reseating so many times may have settled it. Who knows really. Considering software side of things was above board, could only imagine it being physical.

Glad it's sorted.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You have a K suffix overclockable processor on a board that doesn't allow you to overclock. You're essentially limited by some components in your specs. I'd change the board out to a Z390 chipset.

Model for your Corsair PSU? How old is the unit? Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Did you use DDU to uninstall your prior GPU drivers and then reinstall said drivers with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site and installing them manually in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Sorry for the late answer. And thanks!

I never overclocked any PC I ever had. Any change on my spec right now is not affordable. I don't want it to perform any better than what it was, I just want it to run like before I cleaned it. I could perfectly play these games I mentioned with this setup. Not anymore by some reason.

My PCU is a "Corsair VS650 650W, 80 Plus". It is the same age as the PC, so a little above a year. I didn't uninstall using ddu, got a problem with my ssd and ended up formatting the whole disk and starting from 0, so I don't think reisntalling would solve things, BUT will do just to make sure. I'm not sure about my BIOS version. Never checked that. Gonna look how to check this and come back with the right stuff

Thanks again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. Cpu is fine, turboing normally so there doesn't appear to be any throttling.

On to the graphics card, run gpuz and see what it reports for link speed for bus interface.

Im suspecting whilst cleaning, dust or cleaning solution made it's way into the pcie slot or teeth causing the gpu to run improperly.

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
2EcpotB.png

Wasn't sure what to print, so I printed everything :)
If it is what you're thinking, if something went to the pci slot, is it easy to fix, can it be fixed at all, or just F?

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I didn't notice anything different from the test. Everything seems the same
Gonna try doing that. Also am about to reinstall the driver I removed with DDU.
Its late in my country so I'll do the reseat tomorrow. Thank you again!

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
So.
I did this a couple of times already, but I tried reseating the GPU today, to no success. There was nothing inside the pci that I was able to see, and I blew on it a bunch of times to be safe. Nothing.

Would there be anything wrong on the GPU itself? Maybe some dust going in some wrong place or something. I don't know...

For the record, I tried playing SWBF2 today. It never really run greatly, but today it's another game on the list that became unplayable, going to the 5~10 fps mark down from low 30s...

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Well, that sucks...
I'm gonna try to find a friend with similar specs to change gpus.
But it really does suck... The difference is so big even though apparently nothing changed....
Will come back when I test the GPU on my friends' PC

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I already tried those. Both the slot change, which seems the exact same, no change in the situation at all, and the clean windows, to no avail. At this point I don't think it's a software fault, but rather a hardware one, but Idk...

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
I already tried those. Both the slot change, which seems the exact same, no change in the situation at all, and the clean windows, to no avail. At this point I don't think it's a software fault, but rather a hardware one, but Idk...
So you did the windows reinstall off a usb?

Okay try this:
Nvidia control panel
PhysX
Make sure that you have it selected, to automatically choose.
Based off your benchmark, it looks software related to me.

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Yes, windows was installed via USB. I formatted the whole disk, to gpt and stuff, created partitions and such. So this is as from the start as it can get.

Gonna try this when I get home (again, at work, 6 hours or so to try it)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Another thought. Probably isn't this but are you sure gpu isn't an OC 750Ti model equipped with 6pin PCIe ya might've forgot to plug? Be it at gpu or psu end if modular? Doubt it but grasping at straws.

For UB not to register the card is weird. Gpuz clocks appear normal though that i can see.

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
LOL Nah man, as it says on the gpu-z print, 750 for sure. There is no slot for any psu plugs whatsoever, never had. It really is strange, because my pc wont even run without a gpu, and every single other program recognizes it. Nvidia drivers, gpuz, every game shows its name when any option for it is available... but for some reason userbenchmark runs that plane test thing, apparently stops it midway and just shows an error (a really generic one, like "can't proceed with test" or something, doesn't say why) on the log and continues the benchmark normally...

0xthalesx0

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
SO.
Im literally shaking and crying rn.
I tried my spec wit a friend's RX 570 to test it. The GPU worked perfectly fine.
Because of video output type problems, I wasn't able to test my GPU on his PC.
Uninstalled NVidia Drivers with DDU and installed Adrenalin.
Played for 30 minutes and everything was perfect.
Uninstalled Adrenalin and Switched back to my GPU
Installed NVidia Drivers
And then
FOR SOME F*CKING REASON
THE GPU STARTED TO WORK LIKE BEFORE
I DON'T KNOW WHY
AFTER A WEEK TRAMPELING WITH IT, IT WENT BACK TO NORMAL.

This is unbelievable, I did absolutely nothing I hadn't try before. I uninstalled the drivers, took of the GPU, formatted the whole damn thing. And just now it just magically came back to life

My ONLY guess of WHY (not HOW, because I have absolutely no clue how) it worked had to do with the "Bus Interface" yall mentioned before. Last print I sent it was "@1x", while now it was "@4x". The test I made that gave 10fps was giving about 40~50.
Rainbow six and NBA came back to the 30~45 margin
Everything is playable again...
Can anyone try to tell me why it worked and how do I fix this kind of thing when it happen?

TRENDING THREADS