Question help with lowering clock speed

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
hi. my gtx 960 2gb gpu is getting too hot because of the high clock speed. when i play a game temps will reach 85c at 1290mhz. i want to lower the clock speed. will underclocking the gpu core clock cause any problem? will it cause my pc to crash? i want to lower the clock speed to reduce the gpu temps.

hi. my gtx 960 2gb gpu is getting too hot because of the high clock speed. when i play a game temps will reach 85c at 1290mhz. i want to lower the clock speed. will underclocking the gpu core clock cause any problem? will it cause my pc to crash? i want to lower the clock speed to reduce the gpu temps.
You only may loose some performance, that's all. You can also try with some undervolt first.

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
hi. i lowered my gpu clock speed. and my gpu temps got hotter. i went from 85c to 90c. why is that? and the most i could lower it is 90mhz, sliding it all the way to the left on evga precision. is there a way to lower the clock speed more?

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
hi, i was using msi afterburner and was using nividia debug mode in nvidia control panel to lower clock speed, and i dont know what happen but my computer got hotter and started overheating.