Question Help with M.2 Slot Detection

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Hi, I've been digging the internet for quite a while now and haven't been able to find a fix for my problem. My M.2 Nvme SSD will not be detected no matter what I do. My motherboard is the Aorus x570 Elite WIFI and NVME SSD is 1 tb Kingston a2000. I tried tampering with the BIOS settings and disabling certain things such as CSM but still no luck. I tried removing the M.2 Slot (which is installed on the top slot) and installing it on the bottom m.2 slot, still no luck. This PC is a brand new build, which doesn't have any installed OS on it, although I've got a Windows 10 Pro Key, which I plan to install using the media tool. I first ran the win 10 media tool in order to install Windows 10, that's when I realised it wasn't detected when I had to select a partition to install Windows on. I have a 2.5 sata ssd installed aswell and it was detected but not the Kingston a2000. It seems that the m.2 slot is faulty or maybe it's incompatible? Please help me I have been trying to fix it for days on end.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
"This PC is a brand new build "

Are you running the proper BIOS for the CPU?
and if it's not the latest BIOS...I might consider upgrading to the latest BIOS.
"This PC is a brand new build "

Are you running the proper BIOS for the CPU?
and if it's not the latest BIOS...I might consider upgrading to the latest BIOS.
No it's not the latest bios, I've tried upgrading to the latest but it says this... View: http://imgur.com/gallery/K2JfYEu

Even though it's directly from their website...https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl

My cpu is 5 3600

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Well....being that CPU should run on F1 and you are on F30.....I tend to think it's not the BIOS.

I would power down and pull the CMOS battery out for a few minutes....put it back in and try it.
I've already tried that method no luck. My motherboard has a CMOS jumper, 2 pins I need to touch with a screwdriver or something metal for 2 seconds. Motherboard reset but it was still not working.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Has this drive been detected by anything ever?
Maybe it's the M2 drive.
I might try another M2 drive...but I realize you probably don't have one laying around....or you would have tried it. ;)
No I don't have a spare m.2 drive lying around sadly. I've never got the m.2 to work so I'm not sure. As I said above I have another ssd which is in the 2.5 sata from factor but that works. I'm really unsure.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Has this drive been detected by anything ever?
Maybe it's the M2 drive.
I might try another M2 drive...but I realize you probably don't have one laying around....or you would have tried it. ;)
I don't see you doing anything wrong unless I am missing something....which is possible...which is why it's come to this.
Do you think I should just return it and get my money back? I made the right call by buying it from Amazon. If I do return I will invest in a sata 2.5 ssd and will never touch an m.2 ssd.

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
Hi, I've been digging the internet for quite a while now and haven't been able to find a fix for my problem. My M.2 Nvme SSD will not be detected no matter what I do. My motherboard is the Aorus x570 Elite WIFI and NVME SSD is 1 tb Kingston a2000. I tried tampering with the BIOS settings and disabling certain things such as CSM but still no luck. I tried removing the M.2 Slot (which is installed on the top slot) and installing it on the bottom m.2 slot, still no luck. This PC is a brand new build, which doesn't have any installed OS on it, although I've got a Windows 10 Pro Key, which I plan to install using the media tool. I first ran the win 10 media tool in order to install Windows 10, that's when I realised it wasn't detected when I had to select a partition to install Windows on. I have a 2.5 sata ssd installed aswell and it was detected but not the Kingston a2000. It seems that the m.2 slot is faulty or maybe it's incompatible? Please help me I have been trying to fix it for days on end.
The only thing I'll be able to recommend is try to install the next lowest BIOS update. If that doesn't work, than I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Best of luck fixing it!

Do you think I should just return it and get my money back? I made the right call by buying it from Amazon. If I do return I will invest in a sata 2.5 ssd and will never touch an m.2 ssd.
"and will never touch an m.2 ssd."

hahaha I wouldn't go that far....but I understand your frustration.

I think if you don't have easy access to another M2 to try to definitely determine whether it's your M2 drive or not....and you don't have anything left to try (I can't think of anything but maybe someone else can)....I would return the M2.

As far as ...would I get another M2 drive? I probably would because>>>>

You have a working SSD so at least I'd get the OS on that and run.

Then I would try the new M2 drive.....and you can always clone the OS drive over to THAT M2 if it works.

...and also...getting a second M2 drive will help sort out if you had a bad drive....or if it's something else.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
"and will never touch an m.2 ssd."

hahaha I wouldn't go that far....but I understand your frustration.

I think if you don't have easy access to another M2 to try to definitely determine whether it's your M2 drive or not....and you don't have anything left to try (I can't think of anything but maybe someone else can)....I would return the M2.

As far as ...would I get another M2 drive? I probably would because>>>>

You have a working SSD so at least I'd get the OS on that and run.

Then I would try the new M2 drive.....and you can always clone the OS drive over to THAT M2 if it works.

...and also...getting a second M2 drive will help sort out if you had a bad drive....or if it's something else.
I've already installed Windows 10 on the sata ssd but it doesn't detect the m.2 ssd. I have an old laptop lying around, I can try opening it up and installing the ssd but I don't think it has an m.2 slot...It's worth a shot anyway.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
I tend to doubt an old laptop is going to have an M2 slot.

Did you try the M2 drive in both M2 slots with JUST the M2 drive installed and no SATA SSD?

Something to try if you didn't.
Nah as you guessed it didn't have an m.2 slot. I'll try hooking it up to the other slot to see if it works. I've already tried the m.2 ssd without the sata ssd connected on the top slot but I haven't for the bottom slot. I'll try that.

davidRof

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
I went through the MB manual and I don't see that we are missing anything.
I installed it in the bottom slot without the sata ssd but still not working. I have a feeling that this m.2 ssd is incompatible with my motherboard. I too have went through the manual countless times but I don't see anything that I've done incorrectly...