Question Help with making my PC better :(

Feb 24, 2023
Hello!

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU, but I have only 8 GB RAM DIMM, I want to have more memory, is it ok if I get a DDR3 or DDR4? Or do I need 2 of the same type when I change them?

I am not sure wich one I need to buy, could anyone help me out with some details please?
Thank you! : D

Hello!

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU, but I have only 8 GB RAM DIMM, I want to have more memory, is it ok if I get a DDR3 or DDR4? Or do I need 2 of the same type when I change them?

I am not sure wich one I need to buy, could anyone help me out with some details please?
Thank you! : D
You need ddr4 2666mhz. It's always better to buy as a kit, so 2x8gb 2666mhz. You could try to get a 2nd stick that's the same as the first and it'll probably work, but not guaranteed.

What's the model number of the RAM you currently have?

Reactions: where stack
Feb 24, 2023
You need ddr4 2666mhz. It's always better to buy as a kit, so 2x8gb 2666mhz. You could try to get a 2nd stick that's the same as the first and it'll probably work, but not guaranteed.

What's the model number of the RAM you currently have?
Hello! I am not sure where to find it, I opened my PC and on the RAM I found this: DIMM-CT:RHCXQBTFBM2CR. Should I search another code? : (

Feb 24, 2023
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
CPU-Z will tell you.
CPU-Z will also identify your current ram specs.
You will need DDR4 ram.
Without this info, recommendations will be worthless.
Hello! I have this app, for Motherboard it says Manufacturer HP, Model: 843B 00. I hope is the right information. I want to mentionat that I did buy this PC already made.

Maybe this will help,
https://prnt.sc/cQySeawhHxob, do I need to get one with 2666mhz or 1333mhz?
The 8gb you have will be running at 1333. the 2666 speed happens when you have a second 8gb installed and running in dual channel mode.

The crucial app will identify a compatible 8gb upgrade.
It will have specs similar, if not identical to what you now have.
Ram needs to be matched to run properly.
In theory you would replace with a matched 2 x 8gb kit.
But, intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram so a 8gb stick recommended by crucial will be supported by them.

Reactions: where stack
Feb 24, 2023
The 8gb you have will be running at 1333. the 2666 speed happens when you have a second 8gb installed and running in dual channel mode.

The crucial app will identify a compatible 8gb upgrade.
It will have specs similar, if not identical to what you now have.
Ram needs to be matched to run properly.
In theory you would replace with a matched 2 x 8gb kit.
But, intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram so a 8gb stick recommended by crucial will be supported by them.
Hello! Thank you for the information but I am horrible at this, is this the good site? https://www.crucial.com/upgrades, do I search here memory rams? : (
Edit: I tried the site and I hope I clicked on the correct thing, I got this: https://prnt.sc/kpImjd3EuX_6 .

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023
Did you click on the crucial scanner or did you manually try to enter the data?
Hello! I clicked on the scanner, it asked me to download something then it made a new tab where it said "Started scanning" then I got the picture I sent above. : ( I am not sure if I can buy 2 of 16gb 2666mhz for my PC or just limit to 2 of 8gb 2666mhz each to be safe that the processor can take them.