Question Help with multi router setup.

Jul 12, 2019
Hi, can you please help me setup up my routers. My house is currently being built right now and I'm planning on putting smart home devices on it mostly connected through wifi.

I have my old TP-Link AC-1200 router, the 3 Eero wifi mesh system, and a Huawei modem/router combo the ISP will surely provide.

I just want both TP-Link and Eero to have their own SSIDs and remove the wireless function of the Huawei modem/router. I'll connect my smart home devices to the Eero then all personal devices like phones and laptops will be connected to the TP-Link router via wifi and my PC using an ethernet cable.

Any ideas or guides on how should I set this up?

Thanks!

Simthaniel

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
You should be able to type in the gateway address in your browser of the router that you are connected to and then type in the username and password provided on the router (unless you changed them they are usually- admin and- password) then you should be able to change the ssid of the router and for the modem/router if you do this there might be an option in there to turn off the WiFi. Just make sure that you are connected to the WiFi network or wired through Ethernet to the router that you want to change the settings on.

Simthaniel

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
Oh, to find the gateway address you can...

-iOS go to WiFi settings, make sure you are connected to the right WiFi then click the info button after connecting and it should be the series of numbers next to the word “Router”

-Android (depends on which phone manufacturer) go to WiFi settings after connecting to the correct router’s WiFi then click the settings or more info (three dots) and look for the number after “Gateway”

You can also access the settings of a particular router by going to a certain website like for netgear routers I believe it is routerlogin.net or .com

Jul 12, 2019
You should be able to type in the gateway address in your browser of the router that you are connected to and then type in the username and password provided on the router (unless you changed them they are usually- admin and- password) then you should be able to change the ssid of the router and for the modem/router if you do this there might be an option in there to turn off the WiFi. Just make sure that you are connected to the WiFi network or wired through Ethernet to the router that you want to change the settings on.

I don't have to change the IP addresses of the routers or change any settings on them? Should I connect the ethernet cable from both the TP-link and Eero internet port to the Huawei's Lan ports?

With a new house you want ethernet installed in as many rooms as you can get even if you currently have no plans.

Not sure why you want to not use the huawei but it should be a simple case of turning off the radios exactly how you need to read the manual.

Your other 2 "routers" you want to run as AP. How you connect them depends if they have a function called AP.
Mostly it is just connect to the wan port rather than a LAN port. You will need to change the IP address so they don't conflict with your main router. Say your main router uses 192.168.1.1 just assign the other 2 routers 192.168.1.250 and 192.168.1.251. You also need to disable the DHCP server in both these devices.....most if they have the AP function will do that automatically .

Reactions: krail3721
Jul 12, 2019
With a new house you want ethernet installed in as many rooms as you can get even if you currently have no plans.
I was thinking of that but the only ones that would use the ethernet in the other rooms will be the TVs.

Not sure why you want to not use the huawei but it should be a simple case of turning off the radios exactly how you need to read the manual.
I didn't want to use the huawei because I had problems with it. There are times when the wifi just gets cut off and had to reset the router for the wifi to come back.

Your other 2 "routers" you want to run as AP. How you connect them depends if they have a function called AP.
Mostly it is just connect to the wan port rather than a LAN port. You will need to change the IP address so they don't conflict with your main router. Say your main router uses 192.168.1.1 just assign the other 2 routers 192.168.1.250 and 192.168.1.251. You also need to disable the DHCP server in both these devices.....most if they have the AP function will do that automatically .
I will try this on my routers. Thanks for the help!

If you have the option I would run ethernet even if you have no current use. It costs almost nothing to do when the walls are open. Some rooms can cost a fortune after all the walls are finished and painted.

Even if you do not need it the guy you sell the house to might like it.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, can you please help me setup up my routers. My house is currently being built right now and I'm planning on putting smart home devices on it mostly connected through wifi.

I have my old TP-Link AC-1200 router, the 3 Eero wifi mesh system, and a Huawei modem/router combo the ISP will surely provide.

I just want both TP-Link and Eero to have their own SSIDs and remove the wireless function of the Huawei modem/router. I'll connect my smart home devices to the Eero then all personal devices like phones and laptops will be connected to the TP-Link router via wifi and my PC using an ethernet cable.

Thanks!
As @bill001g said, if it is new construction, then install network cabling. Don't forget about outdoors. Cameras in the eves? Ethernet cable. WIFI coverage for patio or pool? Ethernet cable and outdoor WIFI access point. IMO, get proper WIFI hardware. Get dedicated "smoke detector" style WIFI APs. Stick with one manufacturer. You will have the least amount of problems. You can't have too many WIFI sources. I have 2000 sq ft single story and have three WIFI sources in the house.
If you can, get your ISP to provide you just a modem or to configure your modem/router in bridge mode. Then you can use ANY router.

Reactions: krail3721
Jul 12, 2019
@bill001g, @kanewolf, as you've both suggested, I've decided to run ethernet cables inside and outside the house. I just don't know how to set the network up. I've watched some videos about how to set up home networks but I don't know where to plug all the cables. I'm planning to buy a switch and a patch panel but I don't if what I'm gonna do is right, please tell me if I'm wrong or what I should do.

-I'll connect the switch and the TP-LInk router to the ISP provided modem/router.
-All ethernet cables running around the house will be connected to the patch panel.
-All TVs, Eero wifi or any devices that has ethernet sockets will be connected to the patch panel.
-All used ethernet lines on the patch panel will be connected to the switch.

Also, I'm not sure if I really need to have a patch panel or not. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

It is as simple as that. The patch panel just makes a cleaner install. You can have rj45 ends put on all the cables in the central location and plug them directly into the switch. It will save money in the short run. It is much more confusing to trouble shoot years later if the cables are not very clearly marked.

Jul 12, 2019
It is as simple as that. The patch panel just makes a cleaner install. You can have rj45 ends put on all the cables in the central location and plug them directly into the switch. It will save money in the short run. It is much more confusing to trouble shoot years later if the cables are not very clearly marked.

Thank you so much for your ideas. Just planning now where to place all ethernet cables around the house. I'll also place 2 wireless sources for different purposes. Again, thank you @bill001g and @kanewolf for your suggestions.

Mar 3, 2020

Thanks!
We just built our home and moved in last summer. I've read other people's responses, but I wanted to chime in on suggestions as you're preparing to set up your home. You do NOT need ethernet ports in as many rooms as you can like I saw suggested. (IMO). We only have one in our daughter's room for her PC, but we ran it from the router/modem that is in the Living room, the middle of the house. Our home 1950 sqft on the first floor and 1100 sq ft of finished basement. Our home is smart. All light switches (caseta/lutron), thermostat, garage doors, oven, 2 door locks, doorbell, washer/dryer, 4 surveillance cameras, 3 laptops, 2 PCs, 4 smartphones, 6 smart TVs that all stream Hulu/Netflix, Prime/youtube TV....with 6 echo dots to use for Alexa to make it "smart". We own the Arris Surfboard Modem/Router Dual Band 1750. You can do have 2 network names and passwords. I never had speed problems, until for some reason, he last couple weeks. We've had some issues with reception in our basement that's the furthest from the router. Hence why I'm here as I'm having issues adding an extender. That all being said, make sure you have a big enough router/modem that spreads far enough AND can handle a lot of smart things. With dual band, we have everything off of the 2G except our kids phones and all the tvs. That is ran off of the 5G. We can have parental controls through Arris on what they are streaming with 5G and how long they are on it and I can turn their network on, but keep the adults on. (They are 13 and 15). Good luck with the rest of your build!