Question Help With My Kingston 480 GB SSD

Jul 4, 2024
I just purchased a Kingston 480 GB SSD to use on an older PC. Dell 3020 SFF.

The PC runs fine with a regular hard drive. I have Windows 7 64 bit running on the regular drive. It's fine, I thought I would just speed up the boot speed. I installed the Win 7 64 bit onto the SSD and it is ridiculously slow. The Win 7 animated startup screen loads frame by frame so incredibly slow. Like 1 frame every 3 seconds.

The Kingston was purchased off Kingston's official site and it is confirmed it is a real 480 GB.

This is not my first SSD. I installed one in my Wife's PC and one in my main PC and had no issue at all. I installed a fresh OS and the PCs were up and running and booted fast.

I suspect this might be that Win 7 does not yet have the driver installed for the SSD? If that is the case can someone point me to the drivers needed. Or it might be a BIOS setting? If so can someone point me to the BIOS setting I need to check?

I do not want to use anything above Win 7 on this PC. I am using it for running paid software I got on disk and converted to iso files. This software does stuff that is not available or not the same as the Windows 10/11 version. This stuff you cannot get on the Microsoft Store or if you can the quality is just not the same or it is not robust enough.

My Main PC runs Win 10 and that's fine for what I use that PC for, but not for this PC.

Thank you!

Jul 4, 2024
When you installed the OS on the SSD, was it the only drive connected?

If not, redo the install with just the Kingston connected.

Out of curiosity, what software are you using that won't work in Win 10?
Yes. I waited through and after a very long animated boot up screen, it wasn't that bad. I updated all the drivers because I already had them on a flash drive from when I installed Win 7 on the regular HDD.

After I updated to the most recent Win 7 updates, everything ran fine and even restart and boot are now fast. My old regular HDD shows up now as a secondary drive.

I am a musician and artist and have purchased many studio software for recording and mixing, but I have purchased so many art software that is so much better than today's stuff.

The stuff found in the Microsoft Store seems like a kid's toy. Cheaply made and all seems like it was written for a phone or tablet instead of a PC.

Also I have a paid version of GlassWire and I know exactly which apps report back to their companies of "what I'm up to.". With Win 7 I have way less of this crap. I do not use the cloud and my creative work is nobody else's business.

I have a perfectly good, own forever, copy of Adobe Photoshop and I refuse to pay a monthly fee for it, which is how they do it now.

I paid a lot for my software over the years and some were gifts for Christmas and birthdays. To come out with an OS that makes them all obsolete and to provide the worst alternatives, is bad business.

For example Paint Shop Pro X3. I have the disk and the .iso file of the disk. Find any PSP version that runs on Windows 10 and compare the two. It's a joke. The Win 10 version is a useless toy.

I still use Office 2021 and I do not use the cloud for docs, audio or images of any kind. I have NordVPN and GlassWire lock everything down.

This is exactly why on my workhorse computers, I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and not Win 10 PC. The only Windows 11 PC I use is my work PC and it connects work via a VPN.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
For example Paint Shop Pro X3. I have the disk and the .iso file of the disk. Find any PSP version that runs on Windows 10 and compare the two. It's a joke. The Win 10 version is a useless toy.
Uses and people vary.

I've used most versions of PSP, since before they were Corel.
Currently, PSP 2021. Running in WIn 10 and 11.

I don't find it to be 'a useless toy'.

Now....stuff from the MS Store may well be junk. Don't know...I've never bought anything from there.

Jul 4, 2024
I learned a lot from this SSD install. I found out my Windows 7 Pro disk is not even a SP1 disk. As soon as I installed the SP1 roll-up, things got a little better. It would not still auto-update. I manually installed the SP2 roll-up and then it would auto-update. It found 177 updates as a matter of fact. At this time, it reboot several times and the SSD was now booting instantly. All updates are fully installed and this is great running system.

I should have also added that I do not ever intend to connect this PC to the Internet, so I am not worried about Windows 7 being vulnerable.

This PC is just for drawing, photo editing, video editing and audio mixing/editing.

I have a Main PC I use that has internet access and another with Linux Mint that has internet access. I enjoy having a Windows 7 PC that is dedicated to a single task and can't be spied on by big tech,

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS