[SOLVED] Help With my MemTest86 Results

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hi -

I just got a (4x8) pack of G.Skill Trident Royal Ram thats 4000mhz 17-17-17-37 @1.35v running on XMP II. Initially I had issues until I moved around the sticks into a different order in the dimms and it seemed to be stable with my real world usage.

Ran MemTest overnight for 5-6 hours. It looks like it only had 1 error on the 6th test

Since this is XMP II on a QVL motherboard - do i need to RMA it or is 1 error ok? I read some people saying only run Mem for 1-2 hours on tests 1-4. If thats the case this would of passed - just not sure if that is sound advice

Please see images of my Memtest results

Thanks

fwoy9oV.jpg

GkhvAkn.jpg

3gSbwSk.jpg

Solution
Lmk your thoughts thanks!
The DRAM voltage is a little low that is being reported at 1.343v. Increase voltage to 1.36 so it's actually over 1.35v and see if that fixes the errors.

I'm not really sure why it's defaulting the tRFC to 700, which would indicate a high tRC setting. I would have expected probably closer to either tRC 54 / tRFC 432 or tRC 59/ tRFC 472 for less aggressive, but still normal tRFC . I was going to suggest changing the timings manually, but I don't even see where you would enter in tRC. Maybe you could boot into Windows using XMP 4000 CL17 and screenshot CPU-Z Memory and SPD tabs.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
If it was that finicky to begin with, 1 error might be fine as it's more of an installation issue than an actual memory issue.
Thanks for your reply - what do you mean by install issue? G.Skill tech says to RMA anything with an error in Prime or Memtest - however I'm on my 2nd park of this 4 stick kit and getting fed up that these XMP profiles dont work for a QVL motherboard

Thanks for your reply - what do you mean by install issue? G.Skill tech says to RMA anything with an error in Prime or Memtest - however I'm on my 2nd park of this 4 stick kit and getting fed up that these XMP profiles dont work for a QVL motherboard
XMP doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to change a few settings for stability. Manually loosening a few timings just a bit is hardly going to affect your speed to any noticeable degree.

Post your motherboard and CPU.

Hope that is the case would hate to keep RMAing

my cpu is i9-10900k, binned and OCd by Silicon Lottery

motherboard is ASUS strix z490 gaming-g (WiFi)
Can you post pictures of the bios with the full primary and tertiary timings when using XMP 4000 CL17 and then I can suggest some timing changes.

You might be able to fix those 2 errors by increasing your tRFC or by slightly increasing voltage from 1.35 to 1.4v in .01 increments. You can pick the individual test that failed from the main memtest86 menu and run that for 4 passes.

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Appreciate it - you can find the screenshots here

View: https://imgur.com/a/xZSB82q

The first image you can see is the OC settings for the CPU that Silicon Lottery validated (albeit not for 4 dimms at 4000 (they never tested it and said it could work), but i still ran into memtest errors after turning off their OC and using optimized defaults for CPU).

If helpful, i was able to run this kit stable at 3200 14-14-14-34 @1.35v for the full 6 hour MemTest (no errors) and for 2hrs on Karhu RAM Test (3300% coverage before i stopped the test, no errors).

My hunch is something doesn't like 4000mhz - i just updated my mobo bios to 0707 and have seen some people complain about those Asus bios and RAM.

The DRAM voltage is a little low that is being reported at 1.343v. Increase voltage to 1.36 so it's actually over 1.35v and see if that fixes the errors.

I'm not really sure why it's defaulting the tRFC to 700, which would indicate a high tRC setting. I would have expected probably closer to either tRC 54 / tRFC 432 or tRC 59/ tRFC 472 for less aggressive, but still normal tRFC . I was going to suggest changing the timings manually, but I don't even see where you would enter in tRC. Maybe you could boot into Windows using XMP 4000 CL17 and screenshot CPU-Z Memory and SPD tabs.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Solution

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
So at first the voltage seemed to work but the errors kept coming back when at 4000mhz on Memtest.

I ended up finding a stable setting at 3200 14-14-14-34 @ 1.35v and 3200 12-13-13-32 @ 1.50v. Both passed Memtest 6hour tests (twice for XMP 2 and 1).

Feel like i wouldn't be able to do better at 4000 to get the same 7.5 nanoseconds that a 3200 CL12 delivers

I'll mark you as best thought appreciate the help