Question Help with my motherboard with fried ports

Jul 4, 2019
So i have a dell vostro 270 motherboard and all my usbs in the back of the motherboard are not working so as the front panel ones and my drive doesnt have windows installed in it so i cant proceed into windows in order to try and figure out the problem from there.
Will buying a pcie to usb card work?
Thanks in advance
Pc Specs:
Cpu: i5 2500k
Motherboard:dell prebuild
Ram:2x4gb
Psu: 650w seasonic
Drive:ssd 240gb formated no OS

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include OS and full system hardware specs including PSU.

And clarify: "my drive doesnt have windows installed in it so i cant proceed into windows".

Is your intent to boot from a USB recovery drive? More information needed.

Jul 4, 2019
Update your post to include OS and full system hardware specs including PSU.

And clarify: "my drive doesnt have windows installed in it so i cant proceed into windows".

Is your intent to boot from a USB recovery drive? More information needed.
Done
(my intent is to make my keyboard work so i can get into bios i can find my way through there

Ralston18

Titan
If the drive does not have Windows (or any other OS for that matter) installed then the computer will not "proceed" into windows.

Windows will need to be installed.

As for entering BIOS on a Dell computer you should start tapping the "F2" key as soon as the power on button is pressed.

But that is not working because the none of the USB ports are functional and thus no keyboard.

May be worth trying a pcie to USB card to establish functional USB ports in order to restore basic keyboard functions. Plug the keyboard into the PCIe card and boot the system. Then "F2" into BIOS.

You will still need to go through some installation process to install Windows. Do you have Windows media?

Jul 4, 2019
If the drive does not have Windows (or any other OS for that matter) installed then the computer will not "proceed" into windows.

Windows will need to be installed.

As for entering BIOS on a Dell computer you should start tapping the "F2" key as soon as the power on button is pressed.

But that is not working because the none of the USB ports are functional and thus no keyboard.

May be worth trying a pcie to USB card to establish functional USB ports in order to restore basic keyboard functions. Plug the keyboard into the PCIe card and boot the system. Then "F2" into BIOS.

You will still need to go through some installation process to install Windows. Do you have Windows media?
Ι have a windows media and i know how to install windows and stuff but as all my usb ports arent working will the pcie to usb card work? thats all i want to know

Ralston18

Titan
The difficulty is in knowing why the USB ports are not working: i.e., the motherboard or PSU may be the reason.

Perhaps some component on the motherboard failed and only the USB ports are no longer functional. PCIe slots and other components being functional.

The hope then, provided there are functional PCIe slots, is that a USB card therein may provide the needed USB functionality.

However, it could be that the entire motherboard (including PCIe slot) is no longer functional. In which case, the USB card would not function either.

About all you can do is try the PCIe USB adapter card and it may or may not work. One caveat: If the motherboard is defective then the PCIe USB card may be damaged.

Do some additional troubleshooting based on the motherboard's Owner's Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/vostro-270s/docs

Key is identifying or finding the problem, fixing the problem, and then proceeding with the installation of Windows.