Question Help with my upgrade please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 25, 2019
so i am planning to upgrade my pc this november , my current specss are :
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300 29 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2) 43 °C
Graphics
22EN33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 43 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA ) 31 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24D5MT ATA Device
Audio
Συσκευή ήχου USB
and one of the changes will be this new cpu that i will buy : https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11139198/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-Box.html , ofc i will change my motherboard and my ram to am4 but i wanted to ask you about the cpu i linked above which is the one i will buy ,the goal of this whole thing is to avoid my fps drops and generally have around 80 stable fps on fortnite, will that cpu be able to acheive that or make pretty much a difference on my pc or am i wasting my money?pls keep your answers simple and as much possible as short since i am a newbie on the hardware field

Aug 25, 2019
I never heard of that PSU brand, but that doesn't mean is a bad one.

I tried to find info on amp rattings and, having found nothing, Im almost sure thats probably because is a generic PSU with a nominal (real) ratting of around 280~350 watts max.

In short, if your PSU is in good conditions, and youre only changing Motherboard+CPU+RAM it should be fine.

But be aware and carefull if you try to change your graphic card in the future, that PSU wont be able to handle big power hungry GPUs.

Cheers
the psu i think is kinda old since i got the pc from my cousin but i think its a good one cause i never had any power problems and when like the electricity went down on my area ( few times per year) i never had anything damaged but i am worried that with me getting a new mb ram and a ryzen 5 1600 it will like burn everything u know
edit : i found this pic that kinda shows its specs : https://www.google.com/search?q=nitrox+sl-550+v+2.2&sxsrf=ACYBGNSpWJCizp5quNLejxV9KGPVFkaK6A:1569048897714&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=2hTFpOvWQQC0ZM%3A%2CnPfhWA4ua9MZUM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kThqDAAdcwej3-YM_zKj-HMgXEklw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZvLvRquHkAhWFKVAKHZ-rDjoQ9QEwBHoECAYQDA#imgrc=2hTFpOvWQQC0ZM: the only difference i could spot is that in the pic it says frequency 60hz while i have 50 , i dont know if there is anything else different since i cant open my case and see clearly the specs of the psu , but i can see the model name which is nitrox sl-550 v2.2 so i guess they are similar , so um should i change it or i am good until like christmas ?

Last edited:
As I mention it, even if its a generic PSU, which form the pic it does seems like one, if you never have any problems with an AMD FX 4300, I don't believe you are going to have issues with a Ryzen 5 1600.

If you wana be on the safe side, then you should go with at least 80+ White (or bronze, gold, etc) from SEASONIC EVGA, CORSAIR, etc. Any of the known brands

PSU is a lottery, like any electric/electronic device, yours could work with the new Ryzen 5 1600 for 5 more years, or 5 hours.
Also just because a PSU is new and from an known brand it doesn't mean is unbreakable. Anything can happend, but going with a known brand and been certifierd 80+ (choose color) and if it have overcurrent protections and all the important stuff (check the specs of mine PSU: https://seasonic.com/m12ii-evo#specification) will give you some more safety when operating new hardware, and it will have warranty.

Then again the choise is yours.

Cheers

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That nitrox is an old group regulated design, it lumps the 3.3v and 5v together. It's claiming a dual rail with 25A each rail but a max output of only 500w (41.6A). The model number is 550, which for most psus would mean it's output in wattage, yet makes total claims of 700w. By comparison, the Seasonic S12-II 520 has a 40A rail and output of 480w. So the nitrox is quite misleading, I could see it as a possible 550w psu, but seriously doubt it has anywhere near either the solid reputation of the Seasonic GB platform or Seasonics quality of build.

Assumption of lack of power issues is relative. Even a halfway competent 550w psu should not have any issues whatsoever with loads of 50% or less. It's when ppl upgrade, especially the gpu, and demands go from 30-50% to 50-70% that ppl start having sometimes serious power complications.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Power usage on your old pc was averaging @ 200-250w although might have peaked closer to 275-300w under extreme stress tests.

Yes, the Seasonic S12-II/M12-II series is still in manufacture and new sales. Do Not mistake it for the S12-III, which is 2 steps backwards and not a real Seasonic.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
okay can you guys suggest me like a bronze psu from skroutz.com , max 60 euros that will be safely enough ? cause i dont wanna spent like 200 euros and then have my system fried lol

Aug 25, 2019