Question Help with New 4080 16GB PSU Power Cable

viperwasp

Honorable
May 29, 2016
I need help. I am buying a 4080 16GB GPU very soon. The GPU will be installed in regular configuration. Not vertically. I'm upgrading from a 3070 TI. I don't know what model but I'm leaning towards Gigabyte. My PSU is a "EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P3, 80 Plus Platinum 1000W, Fully Modular" I know my PSU does not have the new power output on it. So I need some form of adapter. I can use whatever comes with my card. Or I could order perhaps a better one? A 3rd party one? Do I have to order from EVGA to match my PSU? I'm not that skilled when it comes to PSUs and power cables. What cable should I purchase right now? To prepare for my 4080? Do I need to wait? Thank You?

Also I've followed videos about this subject. And the known issues. It seems 3rd party cables may void warrent but they may have less issues. And I know to make sure the cable is not loosely connected. And to only bend it up or down not sideways. And the bend can't be to severe. My case clearance may require a 90 degree angle connection and I think on one youtube channel I saw a single cable that went from 4 of the former connections to the new connector and also could be used with a 90 degree connector I think it was actually adjustable. The same cord changed from standard to 90 degree. But I forget the brand and I don't know if that is for a specific PSU or just the 4090s. Or if it works for any PSU and even 4080s too? I don't want to buy a cable that won't work with my PSU or a 4080? Any pointers or direct suggestions? Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's just no concrete info available right now. Nvidia's gone quiet and should come forward once their investigation is finished. Exactly when? No one knows.
You seem to know about everything else already...

I wouldn't touch a 40 series with a 10ft pole until Nvidia says or does something(besides the warranty thing), but that's me.

Reactions: viperwasp
4080 will be using the same connector as the 4090.

IMO, I'd go with the adapter from Cablemod. I've purchased quite a few of their cabling products over the years and they have always been high quality. On the other hand, your card SHOULD come with an adapter, and it should be a Gigabyte supplied one if you go with a Gigabyte card in which case if something does go wrong they have nobody to blame but themselves. However, technically, legally, the Magnusson Moss warranty act does not allow them to disallow the use of third party adapters or parts, if a person wanted to avoid using the known problematic Nvidia and board partner supplied adapter and force the issue in the event they claimed void warranty.

Personally I'd avoid the whole thing until there is more clarity.

viperwasp

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Thank you
Phaaze88 and Darkbreeze

Well I don't want to wait to long. But your advice has been very helpful. And I don't exactly disagree. But I may just go for it. Even more so because it seems like the percentage of problems even with the 4090s is very low. And I would only assume but could be wrong that with less wattage the 4080s should in theory have less issues. However who knows a bad launch they could have more problems. So I get it. If I do decide to get one very soon. I will look into cablemod. And decide between maybe one of their cables or using the default for more guaranteed warranty. But if any of these major card companies try to void warranty I could easily see it popping up online as a PR Nightmare. However I don't want to be in the group of people who have to stir up a PR storm to try to get warranty covered. But with how many people are failing to reproduce this issue even on an overclocked 4090. Hopefully it's a very rare problem on the 4080s. And I won't be overclocking either.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, best of luck to you.

it seems like the percentage of problems even with the 4090s is very low.
But with how many people are failing to reproduce this issue even on an overclocked 4090.
How many people unplug their gpu cables specifically to check the inside of them? 'Cause the thing is, the damage all occurs on the inside, where the terminals are and can go completely unnoticed, until it doesn't.

FYI: these things overclock themselves. Been that way since 10 series.
Also, depending on the product tier, a certain degree of factory overclock is applied on top.