Help with new build I7-9700K vs Ryzen 7 2700X

Dec 9, 2018
Hello,

i need some help i am about to get a new gaming system but i have no clue about the CPU/Board options.

System:

GPU: ASUS RTX 2070 ROG STRIX OC GAMING
M2: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB
Case: Define R6 Black TG,
Power: Corsair HX1000i
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X OR I7-9700K
MB: TUF X470-PLUS GAMING OR MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
AIO: Kraken X62 AM4
RAM: Corsair DIMM 16GB DDR4-3000 Kit

I want a system that i can upgrade with a new gpu or cpu in 2 years when i feel the need without changing the hole system again. I want to play at 4k with 50-60fps.

Solution
Today, the i7-9700K with 8 cores is as good as it gets for gaming.
It will clock to 5.0 vs. 4.2 for ryzen and few games make good use of more than 4 threads.
Ryzen 2700X with 16 threads is good for multithreaded batch apps.

As to upgrades, the i9-9900K is now available with 16 threads.
But, the per core performance is the same as the 9700K so the only reason for the i9-9900K is if you can actually use many threads.

Any z390 based motherboard will do, they all seem to be good.

Samsung 970 evo is very good. I might suggest you buy the 1tb version and omit the secondary sata 1tb drive.
It is easy to add another drive of some sort if you need more capacity.

You might find that bulk storage is better handled with a hard drive on a...
Are you certain of changing CPU down the road a bit? If so, your choice is AMD. The Z390 series is likely the end of the socket generation for Intel, though rumors of a 14nm 10-Core are circulating. More than likely Intel's 10nm will be new socket. AM4 for AMD is sticking around at least another 2 years, with Zen 2 not that far off.

Either setup will play 4k 60fps with the right card and settings. The 2070 would have to turn things down a bit to get there this generation though. I currently have a 2700X based build as well as system in sig. I can vouch for either path being great choices these days, so I'm sure 9700k is great too, just no likely CPU upgrade path on the platform.

Today, the i7-9700K with 8 cores is as good as it gets for gaming.
It will clock to 5.0 vs. 4.2 for ryzen and few games make good use of more than 4 threads.
Ryzen 2700X with 16 threads is good for multithreaded batch apps.

As to upgrades, the i9-9900K is now available with 16 threads.
But, the per core performance is the same as the 9700K so the only reason for the i9-9900K is if you can actually use many threads.

Any z390 based motherboard will do, they all seem to be good.

Samsung 970 evo is very good. I might suggest you buy the 1tb version and omit the secondary sata 1tb drive.
It is easy to add another drive of some sort if you need more capacity.

You might find that bulk storage is better handled with a hard drive on a cost per gb basis.
If the motherboard supports optane devices, (I think most z390 will) a $40 optane m.2 device will act as a cache for improving hard drive performance

HX1000 is a fine psu, but way overkill. Even a RTX2080ti needs only 600w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
If you are planning for sli, I would not.
I might suggest one of the Seasonic focus 750w units.

sli shows well in synthetic fps benchmarks, but your gameplay is better with a single good card.
dual gpu is prone to stuttering and screen tearing.
An increasing number of games do not support dual gpu.

Love the case.
It comes with two front filtered 140mm fans which will supply all the fresh air intake you need.
There is plenty of room for a dual tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s or be quiet dark rock pro 4.
Cooling will b just as good as any aio cooler.
Air will cost you less, be quieter, more reliable, need no maintenance
Air keep your parts cleaner by not messing up the positive pressure airflow your case was designed for.
And.... air will not leak.

Solution