[SOLVED] Help with onboard graphics, no access to bios.

Oct 2, 2022
It is looking like my motherboard PCI-E slot is damaged. I have an MSI B450 gaming plus max and when powering up I get the error of over power to one of your USB devices, powering down to protect your m'board. Switching everything out the only thing causing this is the graphics card. I have tried an older card and the same happens. Tested the old graphics card on another pc and that is fine. So it is looking like the m'board. I am now trying to use the onboard graphics until I can replace the m'board. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work. So. Far, I have removed the battery to hopefully reset the bios to default, and also flashed the bios to the latest. Still no luck. I would have hoped that the bios would as default use the onboard rather than graphics card. Any suggestions of how to at least get my pc working? I would like to upgrade the m'board to a newer one and not just replace like for like, but need to identify my CPU before for compatibility of any upgrades.

CPU: Unknown
Motherboard: MSI B450 gaming plus max
Ram: 2 x 16G Vengeance LPX DDR4
HHD: 1 TB Seagate
GPU: Radeon RX 5700 Gaming X (Currently not in use due to MB issue)
Monitor AOC 23"

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if you're not working with an APU, you won't get a display output from the motherboard, you're going to need a discrete GPU to get display out.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if you're not working with an APU, you won't get a display output from the motherboard, you're going to need a discrete GPU to get display out.

Reactions: Asynnr
Solution
Oct 2, 2022
I have edited post to include available specs. Are you saying that there is no onboard graphics? The GPU is what is causing the problem so no point in trying it as I get the "over current have been detected on your USB device, system will shutdown after 15 seconds to protect your mother board" warning, I do not even get to post. On my motherboard there is a DVI-D and and HDMI port, would have thought at least having the DVI would indicate onboard.

Oct 2, 2022
I have managed to find my CPU, found some old documentation. looking at the specs online, the processor requires a dedicated graphics card and is not capable of integrated graphics. MB yes, CPU no.

The GPU is what is causing the problem so no point in trying it as I get the "over current have been detected on your USB device, system will shutdown after 15 seconds to protect your mother board" warning,
GPU is not an USB device.
You have a malfunctioning device connected to one of your USB ports - broken mouse, keyboard, card reader, flash drive, external drive or broken front panel USB port causing short.

Oct 2, 2022
I have nothing attached to MB apart from PSU, 1 ram chip, monitor, single hdd and graphics. Nothing else. PC does not power down when no graphics, MB indicates missing GPU. When GPU is inserted, actually I have now tried with 3 different ones, it gives the warning and powers down.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you have a Ryzen cpu and have not updated the bios.

Amd did have some USB issues, such as you describe, and those were fixed with bios microcode updates.

Amd Ryzens do Not have integrated graphics. Only the G series APU's do. The B450 has graphics outputs on the chance that you do use an APU, but if you use a Ryzen, the outputs are voided, useless.
There hasn't been motherboard graphics capability in 10 years±, both nvidia and amd stopped that when Intel and amd moved to cpu graphics igpu.

At this point, if the pcie slot is damaged/unusable, you'd need to replace the motherboard, because it's essential for graphics output to use a discrete gpu, since the cpu has no igpu.

I have nothing attached to MB apart from PSU, 1 ram chip, monitor, single hdd and graphics. Nothing else.
Front panel USB ports? Are those connected? Disconnect them from motherboard.
Mouse? Keyboard? USB Flash drive? External disk drive? USB card reader device? USB wifi dongle?
PC does not power down when no graphics, MB indicates missing GPU.
Well - obviously. If cpu has no integrated graphics and you have no discrete graphics card installed, then there is no GPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then a decision. If you are absolutely positive the pcie slot is broken, you'll need to rma/purchase a new, motherboard. If not certain on the pcie slot, it's possible it's the gpu.

Unless you are willing and able to do the diagnosis and repairs yourself, you should consider more professional help, at a shop.