[SOLVED] Help with optimal sound connections from PC and TV to AV Receiver ?

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Current Setup :-

Yamaha RX-V377 AV Receiver
Panasonic TX-P55VT65B (1080p) Plasma
Samsung BD F7500 Blu-ray and Smart player (1080p).
PC with GTX 750 ti Graphics Card

New Setup :-

Thinking of upgrading the AV receiver to a Denon AVR-S660H
LG C1 OLED 4k.
Will be Building a new PC with NVidia RTX 3070 ti Graphics Card

01. Currently connect the PC to the AV Receiver via an Optical Digital cable. (I use the TV as my monitor to get the picture). Is there a better way to do this? Somehow get the sound through the HDMI cable using the ARC?

02. Currently use the ARC to connect the bluray smart player and TV to AV Receiver to get the sound through the HDMI with MKV files played through a USB pen. But in order to now watch 4K content will have to put the USB in the side of the new TV. So am I still stuck to using an optical digital connection from the TV to the AV Receiver to get the sound or can it be done through the ARC?

03. Is it worth upgrading the AV Receiver? I believe the new one has HDMI 2.1 ports and supports 4k at 120hz which is one of the reasons I chose that TV. Or will this be a waste and not be used if using just the digital audio connection from the PC to the AV receiver?

Before buying the new TV I usually watch films and TV Series in 1080p (MKV files) played through a USB stick through the Smart Blu-Ray player and use the ARC outputs to get the sound and video . Now since I have the new TV I am planning on watching 4K Content so I would have to put the USB stick in the side of the TV. My question is will I be stuck with having to connect an Optical Digital lead from the TV to the AV Player or can this be somehow done through the HDMI cable using the ARC?

Last edited:
Solution
If you went with new Tv and Avr, your setup is quite simple in a couple of ways. Simplest way to explain eArc is if you use the Tv's Hdmi ports (Bluray, pc, console etc, LG C1 has 3 Hdmi ports), full surround sound is passed to Avr via Hdmi connected to monitor out or eArc port on Avr. eArc is the next generation, successor to Arc, of audio return allowing higher bandwidth, able to pass full uncompressed surround sound to Avr from devices connected to Tv. Both LG C1 and Denon have eArc. Arc is limited to the same capabilities as optical, 2.1 audio.

Regarding refresh rate, both Tv and Avr support 4k 120Hz. So having flexible setup options, either connect all devices directly to Avr or a combination between it and Tv. eArc conveniently...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you went with new Tv and Avr, your setup is quite simple in a couple of ways. Simplest way to explain eArc is if you use the Tv's Hdmi ports (Bluray, pc, console etc, LG C1 has 3 Hdmi ports), full surround sound is passed to Avr via Hdmi connected to monitor out or eArc port on Avr. eArc is the next generation, successor to Arc, of audio return allowing higher bandwidth, able to pass full uncompressed surround sound to Avr from devices connected to Tv. Both LG C1 and Denon have eArc. Arc is limited to the same capabilities as optical, 2.1 audio.

Regarding refresh rate, both Tv and Avr support 4k 120Hz. So having flexible setup options, either connect all devices directly to Avr or a combination between it and Tv. eArc conveniently expands Hdmi ports without limitation.

Use ultra high speed cables (Hdmi 2.1 spec) for 4k 120Hz. That would be from your computer and between Tv and Avr. Any 4k device not supporting high refresh rate then the normal high speed cable is fine.

I use this 2.1 cable for 4k 120Hz. 4096*2160.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/52694/cruxtec-hdmi-2-1-8k-with-ethernet-pvc-2m

Set resolution in Windows under PC section of resolutions further down the list to get 120Hz.

Optical is mostly redundant but you may find use for it.

Solution

Regarding refresh rate, both Tv and Avr support 4k 120Hz. So having flexible setup options, either connect all devices directly to Avr or a combination between it and Tv. eArc conveniently expands Hdmi ports without limitation.

Use ultra high speed cables (Hdmi 2.1 spec) for 4k 120Hz. That would be from your computer and between Tv and Avr. Any 4k device not supporting high refresh rate then the normal high speed cable is fine.

I use this 2.1 cable for 4k 120Hz. 4096*2160.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/52694/cruxtec-hdmi-2-1-8k-with-ethernet-pvc-2m

Set resolution in Windows under PC section of resolutions further down the list to get 120Hz.

Optical is mostly redundant but you may find use for it.
Technically you would not need a 2.1 cable between the TV and AVR. That will only be carrying audio.

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I have just tried to get the sound through the HDMI from the PC. I took the HDMI cable out from the TV and put it in HDMI slot 4 on the AVR. So now the HDMI connection is from the PC directly to the AVR. I then connected a HDMI cable from the ARC output of the ACR to the E-ARC input on the TV and also removed the optical digital cable.

I found that I could get the picture from the PC this way but no sound. I then removed the HDMI cable from the ARC output of the AVR and immediately the sound came through but then the picture went so very confused. I even made sure that the TV Settings where set to E-ARC out.

But I have managed to get the sound and picture when connecting the USB stick into the side of the TV when the HDMI is connected from the E-ARC on the TV to the ARC output on the AVR.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When using Arc from Avr to Tv check Tv's speakers is set to external. I think by having Arc set that way you either have Avr speakers or Tv speakers which you'll adjust which to use in Windows playback devices. Avr's Arc connection might be passing audio only to Tv's speakers so hopefully setting Tv audio to external fixes that. Another test if Avr is bypassing audio to Tv is set Tv as default audio source in Windows playback and see if audio is heard then if nothing comes out of speakers connected to Avr.

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
When using Arc from Avr to Tv check Tv's speakers is set to external. I think by having Arc set that way you either have Avr speakers or Tv speakers which you'll adjust which to use in Windows playback devices. Avr's Arc connection might be passing audio only to Tv's speakers so hopefully setting Tv audio to external fixes that. Another test if Avr is bypassing audio to Tv is set Tv as default audio source in Windows playback and see if audio is heard then if nothing comes out of speakers connected to Avr.

Yeah that was it. Was watching something last night then suddently clicked. So kept the HDMI cable from the PC to the TV as it was with the HDMI from the TVs E-ARC to the AVR's ARC then went into the Sound Settings on the PC and changed the default from Digital Audio (S/PDIF) to LG TV and worked.

I can immediately see a massive difference in the sound quality. I was also geting the sound through the HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player but was using its own ARC rather than the AVRs ARC and this way even that sounds better.

So my question now is do you think its worth upgrading the AVR? Im thinking more the Yamaha RX-V4A. Im guessing the only real advantage is that would use E-ARC instead of just the standard ARC? So the picture would not make any difference set up this way i.e I would still get the 120hz when connecting the appropriate HDMI 2.1 cables?

Im not interested in more than a 5.1 setup. I can also see that all five speakers use the round connections. On my current one the centre speaker has those clips and its hard to get the thick speaker wire into it.

Thanks again

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
120Hz is definitely worth having with the LG C1. I have this Tv and it is awesome. Though you'll connect Pc directly to it for 120Hz. See how you go first with only the Tv upgrade.

Yeah I have the new TV now. But with the HDMI cable going straight to the TV from the PC and theUSB Stick in side of the PC with the other HDMI cable going from the E-ARC on the TV to the ARC on the AVR, does this not mean I will be getting 120hz already but just stuck with compressed ARC for the sound?

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
You'll have 120Hz directly to Tv. The older Arc by design is already limited so yeah the Avr will only see 2.1 channel from Tv but your Avr should have virtualisation to mimic surround so that might be good enough.

Ah so playing my MKV films via a USB pen in the side of the TV will only output the sound as 2.1 regardless if it is connected to any AV Receiver via the E-ARC from the TV to AVR?

Is there another app that I can play through the TV that would allow 5.1?

If not im guessing the only way to get it when playing the MKV files from a USB pen is to buy an updated smart Blu-Ray player and use the Smart Software on that with the USB pen connected to that rather than the TV?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If your movies are 5.1 then Avr needs to have eArc as well if want to have surround sent from Tv. Arc just doesn't have the bandwidth regardless if eArc is the source, Arc at the end won't decode the complete signal.

Yes you can play usb on any device, console, Bluray that supports surround directly to Avr.

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
If your movies are 5.1 then Avr needs to have eArc as well if want to have surround sent from Tv. Arc just doesn't have the bandwidth regardless if eArc is the source, Arc at the end won't decode the complete signal.

Yes you can play usb on any device, console, Bluray that supports surround directly to Avr.

Yeah I think I will upgrade the AVR then. Do you know much about the following three.

Im in the UK :-

Yamaha RX-V4A £450 but seems to be out of stock everywhere
Denon AVR-S660H £500 in stock
Denon AVR-X2700H £679 or £614 (Almost New) or £600 B-Stock

Also read about the HDMI 2.1 bug. Do you know if any of these are affected by it?

Thanks again. Your replies have been so helpful

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Didn't know about such a bug but do now thanks. Ill do some more reading on it albeit should be fine if unit is new since May last yr.

https://www.whathifi.com/au/news/de...s-built-since-may-are-free-of-the-hdmi-21-bug

Regarding specific units i couldn't say. See reviews i think and what i was told long ago the heavier the unit is the better build and component quality.

Thankyou. I think I will go for the Denon AVR-S660H since it is brand new and therefore less likely to suffer from the bug. And looks like can't buy the Yamaha without waiting.

Also if I go into the Audio Settings for Digital Sound Output I have the following options :- PCM, Pass Through or Auto. What is the difference and which should I use with my current setup?

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
I ended up buying the Denon AVR and is really good. I now have everything connected to the ACR inputs with HDMI 2.1 4k Cable and another going from E-ARC on the ACR to the E-ARC on the TV.

However since the TV does not support DTS and won't play the MKV at all I decided to try the Nvidia TV Shield Pro but had some problems with it so have now tried three difference bluray players.

Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
LG UBK90

I have found that with all of the above players, if you are watching a film from an MKV file and you change to another film or turn the unit it off that when you play it again it starts from the beginning. My old Samsung always remembered where you left off. Very annoying.

Anyway I returned the Panasonic for the above reason and also the fact that it would not play TrueHD audio tracks within an MKV file. However I did not dive too deeply into the audio settings so not sure now if there was a way to play it.

I now have the other two players to test. With the sony no matter what audio settings I tried it would not play the TRueHD track at all.

However with the LG if I changed from Auto to PCM Multi Ch then the TrueHD plays and sound much louder and fuller. If using Auto or DTS Re-Encode then it won't play it at all.

Can you explain to me what PCM Multi is and why it can play the TrueHD but other setting can't. I am guessing that it is passing the raw digital data to the AVR to process which can handle the TrueHD? Or am I completely wrong.

Is it generally better just to keep the setting on Auto if not watching a lossless format like TrueHD?

I have noticed though that if you have PCM Multi Ch set to on and play the TrueHD track and if you fast forward through the film then press play it crashes. This does not happen with PCM Multi Ch on if you select the other AC-3 track. I turned everything off and retested but always happens.

I also found the picture is brighter and more vibrant on the Sony so thinking of keeping that one and returning the LG. Would be nice to play TrueHD tracks with the LG but if its going to crash when I fast forward then might aswell stick to the Sony.

One last question I tried an MKV with Dolby Vision and tested on both. In either case the TV displayed it as HDR. Does this mean that Dolby Vision isn't working or does the TV generally just say HDR for when DV is being displayed?

Thanks again