Help with overclocking AMD FX4130 CPU with stock cooler

Mar 9, 2018
System specs

CPU: AMD fx 4130 @3.8ghz (With stock cooler)
Core Voltage: 1.368V
GPU: RX 560 2GB
RAM: DDR3 Kingston 8gb 1600mhz + 4gb = 12gb ram
MOBO: 760GM-P23(FX)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V17.17
Temperature in Arma 3 [Ultra, 1080p]: 35/40°C

I would like to overclock the CPU safely with AMD OverDrive software. I never overclocked before, so that's why I need help from the community. Screenshots kindly welcomed. Looking for about 4.3ghz + if it's possible without any risks.

Regards.

^+1 like he said. your heat sink is not enough. your motherboard has no heat sinks on the VRM.

You will most likely overheat the processor until it throttles back to lower than stock speeds or burn the VRM module up.
If you do not care about the components and don't mind destroying them. I can post a few guides.
If this is justa " I want to learn system", and it does not matter if it dies.
But you must take responsibility if "you kill your system" by overclocking.
I have been overclocking since 1996, so I know the risks and your hardware just will not support a viable overclock.

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
I would hazard a guess that your Motherboard and CPU can probably only handle 95W at max. This means a 1.425V VCore maximum.

Turn off Core Performance Boost, APM, CStates, HPC, C1E. Enable CPU unlock
Set VCore to 1.425V
BCLK at 200 MHz
Start with multi at 20.0x run Cinebench to test stability. Check HWmonitor, do not let CPU reach 71 degrees C or higher. Fan is likely to run very loud.
I would say your CPU may end up at the 4.1 to 4.3 GHz range.

Good luck!

Mar 9, 2018
Thank you for every response, in BIOS I changed the multiplier of 200mhz to 20x I believe to achieve a 4.0Ghz. For now I'll stick with this simple OC which went from 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz with only 5 degrees difference. Thanks guys

I'm like you are...just try it. But I also realize there were pretty sketch boards in the AM2 and AM3 days that didn't feature robust protection for the VRM. Everything was OK until power hungry Bulldozer/FX 6 and 8 core processors came around and the lack of protection meant the FET's would roast until they melted down or, worse case, catch fire. Asus and Gigabyte boards were pretty safe as they had VRM protection that would induce CPU throttling or shut down but MSI got a bad reputation in those days. So be careful.

The lack of a decent CPU cooler is probably a saving grace since the CPU will overheat quickly and start throttling, saving everything. So leave it.

Now you are hooked and there is no cure. :pt1cable:
Take it easy on voltage. There is a sweet spot for all processors. Your chip is already a hot chip. 125 watt to begin with before overclocking.
If you know how to reset the bios, you can try a little under-volting.
In the silicone lottery you never know when you will get a "Golden Sample" I've had a few over the years.

And I also fried a couple MSI boards running stock with 100% CPU load 24/7. VRMs burned on both.
Good luck with your learning experience and new addiction. :evil:

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
Whoa now. The 4300 series CPU does not produce as much heat as I'm reading here. Have you guys owned or even overclocked that CPU before? I'll agree that it really isn't worth OC that CPU as the performance gains will be minimal. But you CAN OC using stock cooler, but don't expect to hit over 4.5 Ghz. AMD chips can hit 70 Degrees Celsius without issues. Heck, some of em can hit 80 Degrees Celcius and still function. Just dont go over 1.55 Volts or you'll really be pushing the CPU.

Having owned a 4350 FX chip, on stock HSFI was able to hit 4.5 Ghz and stay under temp limits. Keep in mind that the amount you can OC ANY chip depends on how good that chip is (CPU lottery). I've taken that chip to 5.0 Ghz stable, but this required a closed loop liquid cooler. And yes, even though the chip was running at 5.0 Ghz, it was still lagging behind an i3 at the time. I OC'd the chip as I am an AMD enthusiast and love OC AMD Chips.

If you really want to boost overall performance, you will need to do a combo of CPU/FSB/RAM/GPU overclocking. When I had that system, I had my FSB at 270/RAM OC to 2100Mhz/GPU OC. This definitely improved overall performance, but took a lot of time (hit/miss) due to testing, benchmarking, stress testing, and starting again. For FSB though, you'll need a better board with better VRM cooling, or you might start to throttle. And whatever you do, OC from the BIOS level. Don't use software to OC as they tend to boost too much voltage to the CPU, and adjusts the VRM settings to be on high, which WILL overheat the CPU.

I know this thread is old but I can't stand when someone is not given either the correct info or the entire info. I hope this helps!

It is not that his chip will not overclock.
His board is rated for a 95 watt CPU.
His CPU is already an 125 watt CPU before overclocking.
He is already at the limits of his board VRMs now.
Any real overclocking will fry the motherboard .