Question Help with overheating (+100° celsius)

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
So, i have an old hd 6790, which at around 99% usage goes up to 100° or more, which you know, is kinda hot, i have cleaned it, changed the thermal paste, airflow is alright, but i think it could be something but im not sure, should the cooler ( like the copper part of it) touch the gpu (the chip)?, because i dont think it is exactly touching it, i have investigated and this card at 100% usage should be at 70° maximum, and if its not this i dont know what else could be, i will try to upload a photo but i dont know if you can see it,

you can see its not touching it, so i think it might be a reason for such an overheat, btw, thanks
NZCADc7.jpg

Forgot a detail, it goes to 100° with its fan at 100%

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021
So, i have an old hd 6790, which at around 99% usage goes up to 100° or more, which you know, is kinda hot, i have cleaned it, changed the thermal paste, airflow is alright, but i think it could be something but im not sure, should the cooler ( like the copper part of it) touch the gpu (the chip)?, because i dont think it is exactly touching it, i have investigated and this card at 100% usage should be at 70° maximum, and if its not this i dont know what else could be, i will try to upload a photo but i dont know if you can see it,

you can see its not touching it, so i think it might be a reason for such an overheat, btw, thanks
NZCADc7.jpg

Forgot a detail, it goes to 100° with its fan at 100%
If the heatsink doesn’t touch the chip that is definitely your problem try tightening the screws some more? Maybe the heat sink is connected through the fan and something isn’t screwed in all the way.

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
If the heatsink doesn’t touch the chip that is definitely your problem try tightening the screws some more? Maybe the heat sink is connected through the fan and something isn’t screwed in all the way.
yep, the problem is that i tried tightening the screws but they were not moving, and i was scared of breaking it, but im going to try harder, thx