[SOLVED] Help with PC upgrades!

Fennwulf

Prominent
Dec 13, 2019
Hey guys, before I start just a heads up, my pc knowledge is very limited so I apologies in advanced. I ask for assistance with help upgrading/rebuilding my current setup as it's very out dated. I've got a limited budget of around £200 a month I can put in, so if people don't mind who decide to help I'll let you know as I go, if you wish to PM me please feel free, I appreciate any time you guys take with me.

Heres what I've got going on in my current setup.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD FX-6300
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-UD3P (CPU 1)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
153GB Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 ATA Device (SATA )
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 ATA Device (SATA )
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SATA-2 (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00M4B0 (SATA )
Cooler Master Hyper H412R 92 mm CPU Cooler
And a very poor case which I've had to self modify to be able to fit my cooler master CPU fan in.

This was based off JackFrags battlefield 4 pc build with a couple of upgrades being the GPU and CPU, however lately I've been running into problems with slow loading, can't handle multiple programs at the same time, I've got a 4k curve monitor that I cannot use on this build and it's struggling with new video games.

Ideally I'd like to replace almost everything in there, but I'd like to upgrade little by little whilst still being able to use the system as I won't be able to buy everything in one go so for example, if someone recommends a motherboard, I'll buy that and then focus on the cheaper parts first before upgrading my CPU, it's a bit awkward but this time of year is horrible!

I'm in dire need of a new case as I've had to rip a bigger hole in the back of it for the CPU fan backet to fit, it's pretty ugly right now, it's a mid tower by some random make I forgot.

As I said I would appreciate anybody who could take their time to lend me a hand! Thanks :)

Solution
Start from scratch. There is no upgrade for that pc. Admittedly you need a new case, new platform (motherboard, cpu, ram), a gtx1050ti is woefully underpowered for anything 4k (can run 1080p resolution on 4k monitor).

So your only hope is to buy the pc, piecemeal. A new pc. Get it all built, then transfer storage to new pc, sell off any parts you can from the old. With a £200 per month budget, it's going to take 6-8months to get something decent that'll push 4k, maybe longer, so you have plenty of time to shop around for deals, read up on exactly what it takes to get 4k playable equipment, bring yourself up to speed on what's going to be better for you personally, which case design you prefer, decide just how/if/why you want RGB...
Why do you have a 4K monitor.... even with capable hardware it’s pointless for gaming.

also with £200 a month you’ll need to save up, you’ll need a new CPU board and ram with a b450+R5 2600 and 16GB of ram costing around 300-350 then a better GPU will run you around 200-300 for 1080p, 300-400 for 1440p and 600+ for 4K.

Fennwulf

Prominent
Dec 13, 2019
Why do you have a 4K monitor.... even with capable hardware it’s pointless for gaming.

also with £200 a month you’ll need to save up, you’ll need a new CPU board and ram with a b450+R5 2600 and 16GB of ram costing around 300-350 then a better GPU will run you around 200-300 for 1080p, 300-400 for 1440p and 600+ for 4K.

Good question, my brother didn't want it so he gave it to me. Been sitting in its sealed box for a couple of weeks now haha.

Given about £200/month, I'd probably start with the new case and a larger SSD. Then I'd save for a couple of months and go with a core system upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM). Anything beyond that is up to you.

-Wolf sends

Sounds like a good idea, was hoping to get a new case rather soonish. Much appreciated!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start from scratch. There is no upgrade for that pc. Admittedly you need a new case, new platform (motherboard, cpu, ram), a gtx1050ti is woefully underpowered for anything 4k (can run 1080p resolution on 4k monitor).

So your only hope is to buy the pc, piecemeal. A new pc. Get it all built, then transfer storage to new pc, sell off any parts you can from the old. With a £200 per month budget, it's going to take 6-8months to get something decent that'll push 4k, maybe longer, so you have plenty of time to shop around for deals, read up on exactly what it takes to get 4k playable equipment, bring yourself up to speed on what's going to be better for you personally, which case design you prefer, decide just how/if/why you want RGB lighting, decide if that tiny 92mm cooler is going to be enough for a bigger cpu (it's really not) etc.

You have time. This isn't a 'now' purchase, so use the time wisely. Start saving, the gpu is going to cost a lot, 3-4 months on that alone, 2 months for platform, 1 month for case, fans, cooler, extras....

Solution

Fennwulf

Prominent
Dec 13, 2019

So your only hope is to buy the pc, piecemeal. A new pc. Get it all built, then transfer storage to new pc, sell off any parts you can from the old. With a £200 per month budget, it's going to take 6-8months to get something decent that'll push 4k, maybe longer, so you have plenty of time to shop around for deals, read up on exactly what it takes to get 4k playable equipment, bring yourself up to speed on what's going to be better for you personally, which case design you prefer, decide just how/if/why you want RGB lighting, decide if that tiny 92mm cooler is going to be enough for a bigger cpu (it's really not) etc.

You have time. This isn't a 'now' purchase, so use the time wisely. Start saving, the gpu is going to cost a lot, 3-4 months on that alone, 2 months for platform, 1 month for case, fans, cooler, extras....
Save up and buy a Ryzen 4000 next year. Probably 10 to 15% more performance than the 3000 models so AMD may overtake Intel in 1080p gaming finally.

Appreciate the help guys, I'll take that all into note and save up for a new setup rather than upgrading what I have. For now, stuff like SSDs and the case can all be used towards the new build. Best move is to just save up roughly over a grand or so and go from there.

Reactions: Flayed