[SOLVED] Help with PSU configuration - 4 GPUs, MOBO, and CPU on the same PSU ?

May 5, 2021
Hi,

That's my first post in forums, but I appreciate the work you do as a community, as I have encountered the answers to my questions through your experience.

This time, I am finding it hard to have a definitive answer and I would like your expertise.

My mining rig:
  • MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming H470 Wifi
  • CPU: Celeron G5905 (with stock cooler)
  • DRAM: 8GB DDR4
  • Storage: Nvme Patriot 256gb
  • Extra: 3 x Artict Cases Fan (~10W combined)
PSU: Corsair HX1200i

1 x 3060ti at 120W (TDP: 200W)
1 x 3090 at 290W (TDP: 420W)
1 x RX5700XT at 90W (TDP: 180W)
3 x PCIe risers

Current cable setup:
PSU 8pin #1: CPU
PSU 8pin #2: 3090 (via single connector cable)
PSU 8pin #3: 3090 (via double connector cable)
PSU 8pin #4: 3060ti (via single connector cable)
PSU 8pin #5: RX5700XT (via double connector cable)
PSU 8pin #6: 3 risers (via double connector cable with splitters)

Currently taking 630W from the wall (~94% efficiency)

Now, the issue: I am getting a second 3060ti and either I will re-config the cabling or I will need to buy a new power supply (please note my PSU has only 6 8pin outlets).
If I re-config the cabling, I was wondering if I could:

PSU 8pin #1: CPU
PSU 8pin #2: 3090 and 1 x riser (via double connector cable)
PSU 8pin #3: 3090 (via double connector cable)
PSU 8pin #4: 3060ti (via single connector cable)
PSU 8pin #5: RX5700XT (via double connector cable)
PSU 8pin #6: 3060ti (via single connector cable)
6pin #1: 1 x Riser
6pin #2: 1 x Riser
6pin #3: 1 x Riser

If not, how could I put this puzzle together? MY PSU has 6 8pin outlets, 6 perf outlets. I have 4 double connectors (6+2)pin cables, 2 single (6+2)pin cables, 3 Molex 4pin cables, 4 splitters 6pin to 2 x 6pin.

Side question: are 4pin Molex safe to power 1x Risers?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best,
Gabriel

Solution
Thumb rule is that you need to make sure that all GPU's have a native connection to the PSU. If your PSU lacks the necessary connectors, you either have too many GPU's or the wrong components or the wrong PSU for the job. For your scenario, extensions and splitters are more risk than reward. Get a PSU that has all the connectors you need. Yes there are PSU's meant for mining as well.

Parse a link to said riser.

Lutfij

Titan
Thumb rule is that you need to make sure that all GPU's have a native connection to the PSU. If your PSU lacks the necessary connectors, you either have too many GPU's or the wrong components or the wrong PSU for the job. For your scenario, extensions and splitters are more risk than reward. Get a PSU that has all the connectors you need. Yes there are PSU's meant for mining as well.

Solution
May 5, 2021

Thank you! These are the risers: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B08XWY691R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1