HELP with PSU

ADrunkBunny

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Hi everyone I'm having a problem trying to find 2 8 pin connector psu with at least 750 watts.
The graphics card I bought and is being delivered SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon™ R9 390X 8G
and I can't find a psu with 2 8 pins your help would be appreciated. Also I prefer if the psu wasn't SUPERR expensive. Thanks

Solution
hhhhmmmm ok give us some time to skim some dimensions. that's not a spec i tend to keep in my mind and actually have to look that one up!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

gondo

Distinguished

Yes. It'll have a 6 pin and 2 pin dangling out. This is so you can use it with 6 pin or 8 pin GPU connectors. It's universal.

I don't think I ever saw an 8 pin connector for GPU, it's usually 6+2 to be ultra compatible.

That EVGA is a good power supply at a great price. EVGA has great value, just get the best you can afford. And 750W would be plenty for you. The jump to 850W seem to be quite high so 750W and less are better value.

Random_Tobstar

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

gondo

Distinguished
jonnyguru.com for all your PSU reviews. EVGA seems to be tops now with good values and 10 year warranties to boot. EVGA and seasonic use superflower as the OEM and make great PSUs. Corsair, Antec, Enermax, etc... also make some nice units but you can't go wrong with an EVGA now. The G2 series is a great value and the P2 is a step up in quality. I got my P2 on sale for the same price a s a G2.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the best psu i saw for the money is the evga b2 i posted above. if there was a better cheaper psu that fit your needs, i would have shared that one instead :)

bang for the buck is the evga for your needs. save yourself the headaches and go for that one and not the low quality corsair cx unit.

note the psu master badge i and sr-71 have by our names. means we know what we talking about ;)

ADrunkBunny

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
OMG thanks guy for all these fast replies and which would you prefer out of these 3. Like the best one for my gpu
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SN7CGAO?keywords=evga%20850%20watt&psc=1&qid=1456360822&ref_=sr_1_17&sr=8-17-spons
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456360909&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+750+watt
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CX750-Supply-Bronze-Certified/dp/B008RJZQSW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456360966&sr=8-3&keywords=corsair+750+watt

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at most those psu's save you $5 over the much higher quality one i posted. none of those are even close to as good as the one i suggested. i am not sure why you are looking for an alternative that only saves a few bucks? but those are not even in the same league as the one i posted.

gondo

Distinguished
Yeah the B2 is quite the value and better than the B1. There the G1 that looks half decent since it offers a 10 year warranty as opposed to 5, and is full modular over the B2, but it doesn't perform any better. The B2 is actually a better performer and less expensive. Not folly modular though if that bothers you.

The G2 is the one you would want if you want the 10 year warranty and full modular but it's more expensive than the B2. The modular aspect is nice if you want to custom make and sleeve your own cables and get them to exact lengths without having excess loops of cable in your machine.

ADrunkBunny

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Hey man So I recently bought the evga b2 psu but it was too big and had to return it.

My current psu dimensions are 12.5 x 14 x 8.5 in centimeters or 125 x 140 x 85 mm and I'm wondering can you give me a psu similar to this size I can't seem to find one. This power supply can be a little bigger for example the evga was 85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 180mm (L) and everything was find but the length, it was to big If you can recommend me something with those same dimensions with a smaller length around 150 would be great.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how good are you!! :D

the antec true power classic 750w is exactly what i was about to post from newegg. it fits, is high quality and plenty of power at a decent price. it's not modular so there will be some extra cables to tuck away but for the money it is a good buy.

that's the one i would go for or i can look a bit further for a modular design if you wish though it will cost more.

ADrunkBunny

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

No, it's fine I decided to get this one since its a gold rated plus a $20 mir which makes it $55 which is awesome considering its small, gold, and 750 watts with multiple 6+2 pins for my gpu

gondo

Distinguished
Ouch. Yeah there are different form factors of power supplies. SFX, ATX, etc...

And within the common ATX most computers use, they can be different lengths. You have to look at your case specs and it will specify the maximum PSU length. That's the number you have to watch for as you found out.

The Antec is nice. I have a true power 650w in the wife's computer. Back in the day (20 years ago or so), I was 100% Antec. It was the only power supply I sold and I only stocked Antec cases for sale. Today there is much competition from silverstone, evga, corsair, seasonic, etc... I have yet to see one of those original Antec's fail.

15 years ago it was common to buy generic cases from companies like Acer that came with an el cheapo power supply. Most stores assembled computers using these. I always used a generic Antec case along with an Antec or Enermax power supply of choice. I never had 1 return over the years. But I saw many competitors computers with dead power supplies that I had to replace.

Antec still holds a place in my heart and I wish they would get more competitive with the competition. There are loosing much ground to NZXT, Corsiar, and Fractal Designs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i still have an old antec 900 case i built a system in a long time ago and it is now on it's third set of parts but the case is still going strong. it is built like a tank. i do miss the days when the antec psu's were the go to as well but times have changed as it appears their priorities have as well. at least they still make a few decent psu models like the HCG and Truepower classics

gondo

Distinguished
I remember the lanboy aluminum. It was the first nice aluminum case that didn't make you bankrupt like the LianLi. Aluminum cases never really caught on. Who needs aluminum when you have ITX I guess.

My main system is still an original Antec Twelve Hundred full tower that must be 8 years old now. No SSD spots or USB 3.0 on the front panel, but it holds everything together just fine. And Velcro works great to stick an SSD just about anywhere's. Buy a nice full tower and it can last you 20 years.