Help with RGB setup on MSI Z390M motherboard

Kingsmash

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
I am building a new computer and have just bought a MSI Z390M Gaming Edge AC motherboard. My objective is to sync motherboard rgb, memory rgb, graphics card rgb (not sure if possible), and rgb fans (up to 5 of them) in the cleanest way possible. I may very well choose Corsair rgb fans and I am completely new to rgb.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390m-gaming-edge-ac

1. Can I do the same sorts of things with MSI Mystic Light as with a separate rgb fan controller? (I am currently deciding between the NZXT h400 and h400i and would prefer the h400)

2. [strike]Do I understand correctly that the JCORSAIR header is just Corsair's proprietary header, and it doesn't actually offer anything extra except Corsair compatibility? The micro ATX version of the motherboard (which I have) does not have a JCORSAIR header whereas the ATX version does. It seems like it may be a pretty sizable cost benefit to have the ATX version.[/strike] I got through to MSI support and they were at least able to clarify that the JCORSAIR header has been tested specifically to work with Corsair. They could not advise how JCORSAIR differed from a normal header or if Corsair rgb would work without a JCORSAIR header.

3. Does this mean I can't use Corsair rgb without a JCORSAIR header or a Corsair Lighting Node Pro?

4. Is it correct to presume that Corsair rgb can be synced with Mystic Light?

I am totally lost here. Can anyone suggest a setup? Many thanks for any help!

Solution
Actually, you can connect a Corsair RGB LED Fan Hub to your MSI JRAINBOW header with the proper adapter (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-to-Corsair-RGB-Adapter/372548214612). You'll need to use LL, HD or ML RGB fans (SP RGB won't work with JRAINBOW though it will work if you had a JCORSAIR header). If you get the multipack, you'll have the RGB Fan Hub for the fans. The ML and LL will also come with a Lighting Node Pro and a Fan Hub cable. The HD RGB multipack doesn't come with a Fan Hub cable (or a Lighting Node Pro) as it has a push-button controller so if you go with HD-RGB, you'd need that cable too.

And MSI Mystic Light is OK ... but you can do a whole lot more with iCUE and a Lighting Node Pro.

Kingsmash

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Having spent considerable time on the phone with various manufacturers, I can answer my own questions:

1. I was told that I would need a controller no matter what.

2. I was told that the JCORSAIR header is exactly the same as any other except that it allows Corsair rgb to be controlled with Mystic Light.

3. It is possible but will have to use both Corsair iCUE and MSI Mystic Light. This is a bit unfortunate because they could have just included a JCORSAIR header on the micro ATX as well.

4. Only with a JCORSAIR header.

Now I'm not really sure what to do. I could either ignore trying to sync ram and mobo with fans, or change to the ATX motherboard. But then I would also need to choose a new case.

EDIT: I was planning to choose this as the answer but it turns out that I can't.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Actually, you can connect a Corsair RGB LED Fan Hub to your MSI JRAINBOW header with the proper adapter (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-to-Corsair-RGB-Adapter/372548214612). You'll need to use LL, HD or ML RGB fans (SP RGB won't work with JRAINBOW though it will work if you had a JCORSAIR header). If you get the multipack, you'll have the RGB Fan Hub for the fans. The ML and LL will also come with a Lighting Node Pro and a Fan Hub cable. The HD RGB multipack doesn't come with a Fan Hub cable (or a Lighting Node Pro) as it has a push-button controller so if you go with HD-RGB, you'd need that cable too.

And MSI Mystic Light is OK ... but you can do a whole lot more with iCUE and a Lighting Node Pro.

Solution

Kingsmash

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014

Thanks, that is great to hear! I have previously avoided RGB because it just complicates things but I am spending quite a bit on this build so I would like to add a dash of zazz. I think your comment has helped me decide that I should just use iCUE with Mystic Light separately for the ram/motherboard, so I don't need to worry about compatibility so much. Plus, I plan to go with an air cooler for the cpu and that may ruin aesthetics anyway.