[SOLVED] Help with RTX2080ti. Memory clock and gpu clock are unstable.

Dec 15, 2021
The memory clock of my RTX2080ti is jumping from 810 to 14000 back to 810 and then back up again, and same for gpu clock. Going from 300 to 1905 and back down and repeat. And the gpu idles at 40. My computer was unused for 2 months and before that it wasn't like that, the temp was at min(20), and the clocks were stable, I came back and then it's been all over the place. I'm using only 1 screen and this is not even while playing games, the heaviest software running is MAYA. I'm in a part of europe where its super cold so ambient temp is low as well, and I already tried the latest drivers.

Last edited:
Solution
Remember that after two months of inactivity the computer may be trying to download and install various updates. Or maybe do backups....

Still, the computer was subject to heating up and cooling down as room temperatures changed. The temperature changes likely caused expansion and contraction that loosened connections, cards, RAM, etc.. All still need to checked and verified to be fully and firmly in place.

That said - going back a step:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any recent (after you returned) error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur when the memory clock is jumping about.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information?

Where was the computer stored for those two months? Heat, cold, humidity, vibrations?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Install a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.

Dec 15, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information?

Where was the computer stored for those two months? Heat, cold, humidity, vibrations?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Install a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.
It wasn't packed away. It sat at it's usual place. And the specs are Nvidia 2080ti, cpu is an AMD ryzen 9 3950X. For air, there are 2 fans at the front for in and 1 rear.

Ralston18

Titan
Remember that after two months of inactivity the computer may be trying to download and install various updates. Or maybe do backups....

Still, the computer was subject to heating up and cooling down as room temperatures changed. The temperature changes likely caused expansion and contraction that loosened connections, cards, RAM, etc.. All still need to checked and verified to be fully and firmly in place.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any recent (after you returned) error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur when the memory clock is jumping about.

Solution
Dec 15, 2021

Took it apart this morning and cleaned it, and checked the event report as well. Found some problem with onedrive and disabled it. It's gone down significantly, like from up-down continuously to having much longer rest periods in the middle. But not back to normal.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to discover if anything else is going on.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Watch for some pattern involving up-downs and rest periods.

Some app or utility trying to run in the background, an update perhaps, some sort of backup occurring.

Dec 15, 2021
Take a look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to discover if anything else is going on.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Watch for some pattern involving up-downs and rest periods.

Some app or utility trying to run in the background, an update perhaps, some sort of backup occurring.
Looked again at the event viewer and found problems with one drive and a reoccurring error 'Widows.Remediation.Error'. So looked up how to disable one drive and how to deal with this error. Found out that I had to run chkdsk to see any problems with the disk and if not then I would have to reinstall the OS, and if that doesn't work as well then it's my hard drive that's got issues. Luckily for me, it was just the reinstallation of the OS that did it. It's all back to normal now and clocks are stable. A massive thanks to you, with helping me on this. Cheers