[SOLVED] Help with Ryzen best cores vs windows affinity

_HyperX_

Reputable
Feb 21, 2017
Hello so i have a ryzen 9 5950x and inside ryzen master it shows that core 2 and core 9 are the fastest and core 8 and core 15 are the second fastest so I was thinking i could go into task manager and set my game to use core 2,9,8,15 and then maybe 2 more random ones to see if it would help my performance at all (I know it probably wouldnt do a lot) BUT unfortunately windows affinity shows all 32 threads so how am i supposed to assign my favoured cores when it only shows threads? Or can i just simply not? At first i thought maybe double it so use thread 4, thread 18, thread 16 and thread 30 but then i thought this doesnt make sense as these are seperate threads and not cores , it has 16 cores + 32 threads so im confused

Solution
Make sure a setting called CPPC is enabled in your BIOS, and as well another one called CPPC Preferred Cores, and that you're running the latest chipset drivers you get from AMD's support web site. CPPC settings are generally enabled by default in the latest BIOS'.

Once that's done, Windows will do exactly as you say: preferentially using the CPU's best cores when it can. But much better, it also unloads those cores when necessary so they aren't heating up too much. Ryzen's very thermal sensitive: if a core heats up too high it stops boosting to it's highest clocks so load leveling is equally important. What you propose can't allow for that so it's not going to work very well.
Make sure a setting called CPPC is enabled in your BIOS, and as well another one called CPPC Preferred Cores, and that you're running the latest chipset drivers you get from AMD's support web site. CPPC settings are generally enabled by default in the latest BIOS'.

Once that's done, Windows will do exactly as you say: preferentially using the CPU's best cores when it can. But much better, it also unloads those cores when necessary so they aren't heating up too much. Ryzen's very thermal sensitive: if a core heats up too high it stops boosting to it's highest clocks so load leveling is equally important. What you propose can't allow for that so it's not going to work very well.

Reactions: _HyperX_
Solution