[SOLVED] Help with sata connections on Dell T7500

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have 2 drives connected via the blue cable were there when I bought it and I added another drive to the left of the blue and it has been fine for months.

It shows on the image.

Now I want to add another drive and I tried that red cable on the right side of the bank to the blue mobo connector and the drive also did not show.

I have also tried to connect the new drive to a bank of connectors on the left side of that power connector, but it does not work there either.
The drive itself is new does work on other boxes.

What am I doing wrong and do I need to change anything the bios?

A bit of a Dell newby to make things worse :)

mobo-sata%20connectors-s.jpg

I see the connectors here but do I need to change anything in the Bios to make them work?
DEll T7500 mobo for sata.JPG

Last edited:
Strange. These are usually just plug and play.

Here's what I would do to diagnose. Remove the working red cable from that drive and attach it to the new one. If the new drive shows up then the drive is okay.

Next, remove that red cable from the port it is in and plug it into the port that you want to use. If the drive shows up there, then you were trying to use a 'bad' cable (which may not actually be bad per se, but just doesn't like that drive/port combination).

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Funny that !

I thought if you didn't see them like rgd1101 didn't, you might be psychic or have these boards imprinted in your brain :D

I will give your suggestions go when I get a chance to get off the box.

I'll post the results.

Thanks again

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Well!

Plugged the new drive into the working red cable and it also worked via sas plugs on inside of power plug.

Took that working cable to the corner 3 sata plugs and it didn't work with the original drive or the new drive .

Used 2 different red cables.

So it seems that those 3 sata plugs on the corner either do not work because there is something wrong with them or they are not turned on in bios.

I am lost in the Dell bios so would need help enabling them in there if that is what is needed.

So.... h..e..l..p.. !!

Last edited: