[SOLVED] Help with setting up AIMesh ?

Feb 18, 2022
I have been trying for some time to set up AI mesh with an RT-Ac66u b1 as a node but my main WAP/airmesh router cannot find the node. My set-up is follows:
The primary Router connected to the modem is an Asus RT-Ac87U located in basement – this is connected by ethernet to my RT-Ac88U on the ground floor.
The ground floor RT-AC88U is set up as an Access point/ Airmesh Router
The ground floor RT-AC66U B1 is currently working as a repeater connected to the 88U but will not connect using AIMesh
The AC88U and AC66U both have the latest firmware
The AC66U has been reset to factory settings
All devices are running in open status (no WiFi security)
Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong>

Solution
DISCONNECT THE ETHERNET, I had the same issue when setting up my AiMesh a few years ago.

1. Move your node temporarily next to your main router.
  2. Do not connect them together with ethernet.
  3. Power them both up and set up AiMesh using WIFI first.
  4. The main router will flash the node with software. Once fully set up, then change it to ethernet backhaul and move the node to wherever you want.
Mesh stuff is extremely proprietary. You would think though it would work between the same vendors devices. Asus tends to run just 1 firmware image for most their devices so you would think it would be compatible. Then again maybe they have some models that are not using the same form of mesh, you see this issue on tplink.

What is the problem if you can get it to connect in repeater mode. What feature do you think mesh provides that the repeater does not. Mesh really is just a fancy marketing name for repeater.

Note you do not want to run without wifi security. Some mesh systems actually will not even connect if you do not have the encryption enabled.

DISCONNECT THE ETHERNET, I had the same issue when setting up my AiMesh a few years ago.

1. Move your node temporarily next to your main router.
  2. Do not connect them together with ethernet.
  3. Power them both up and set up AiMesh using WIFI first.
  4. The main router will flash the node with software. Once fully set up, then change it to ethernet backhaul and move the node to wherever you want.

Solution