Question Help with system restore

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I'm trying to do a system restore on my laptop which has windows 10. The reason is I deleted cookies which has prevented me accessing my second email account as the password was saved to the pc and I've forgotten password. System restore was initialising for 3 hours last night so even though I have a lot of files I think that's too long
I had to do a forced shutdown. I was only offered the one date so not sure what to do. Can anyone help. Thanks.

I've used System Restore probably 100 times since it first arrived 10 or 15 years ago? I've never had it take more than a few minutes to complete.

It is not always successful...perhaps 10 percent of the time it will not run to completion, but I have always been notified of the failure within a few minutes of starting.

Most common result it it runs to completion and solves the problem.

I assume you've told Windows to show you all available Restore Points...usually there are several.

I'd guess you are out of luck in having System Restore resolve your issue.

Can you describe the "email account"? If it is local email like Thunderbird, all of the account details are typically in a specific Windows folder. Or do you refer to something like Gmail?

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I did a restore about a year ago which was pretty quick. I did click on other dates but I was only offered 10th January. I've managed to access everything except my Gmail account as it's asking me for the password and as it was saved to the laptop I forgot to write it down. I may have to lose that email. Thanks

Feb 4, 2023
It can be frustrating when things don't go as planned, especially when you're trying to access an important email account. And it sounds like it's taking longer than expected to complete the system restore.

As for the forced shutdown, that can cause some issues with the system restore, but hopefully, it won't be too much of a problem. If you were only offered one date to restore from, you might consider trying the system restore again and choosing a different restore point, or seeking assistance from someone more experienced.

In the meantime, if you're looking to upgrade your laptop to the latest version of Windows, don't forget to check out the ""how to get Windows 10 cheap reddit"" thread. There might be some helpful tips and deals to help you save some money on your Windows 10 purchase.

Last edited: