Help with the cooling of my rig

KinoAkuro

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Hello, I have this pc case: https://www.icebergtech.co/Crystal-G5-Black.html, and I hoped this would solve my cooling problem, since my gpu https://latam.msi.com/Graphics-card/Geforce-GTX-1060-iGAMER-6G-OC.html has one fan and it reaches temps of 71-75 whem gaming with the case open. I have good cable management and I have adjusted the gpu fan with msi afterburner to be around 80% when it reaches 70°C, The problem is that hot air gets stuck inside the case and it warms my gpu to 80-83°C Any idea of what i could do to improve the airflow? I replaced the default exhaust fan with one i had and it runs at 1500RPM the front fans run at 1000RPM, Here are some pictures of my rig:

https://imgur.com/CN1Y9S6
https://imgur.com/f2yqLF8

I'm using the default exhaust fan as an intake fan for the gpu so it gets directly cold air from the front fans.

Solution
You could cut acrylic, but I would do some research and see what youtube can show you about it. It wouldn't hurt to practice on a scrap piece of acrylic first. Of course you would need the right tools.

Well, since you will be cutting metal I would recommend emptying the case. You don't want any of the little metal bits getting on the circuit boards and causing a short circuit. You could try to mask off the other parts with tape and a cut up plastic garbage bag or something, but watch out for static electricity (newspaper or something like it might be a better option). After you're finished, carefully inspect every nook and cranny with a flashlight while vacuuming up the metal bits that have accumulated in there from the cutting...
Oct 7, 2018

Can you specify the size/speed/count of how many exhaust and intake fans you have? Any other details wold be nice. It's hard to see what I am looking at in the picture.

KinoAkuro

Prominent
May 17, 2017

All the fans have a size of 120 mm, the speed of the exhaust is 1500 rpm, the speed of both intake is 1000 rpm.

Ok, so as long as the air is coming in the front and going out the back it looks like that's the best you can do with that case. Actually I see you could add a fan on top, but it might cause negative pressure which some people don't recommend because dust gets pulled into your IO ports. Take that extra fan you have and give it a try if you feel it's worth it.

If you are into case modding I have a couple of suggestions. You need more cool air near the card. You could cut a hole in the bottom of the case and put a fan blowing upward. If you do this you might need to add taller feet to the case because you are going to need at least 1/2" for air to adequately enter. This may increase dust intake if your rig is on the floor. If your side panel weren't glass, you could have added a fan on the side.

I experimented with stamped metal fan grills (the many punched holes where the fans go) that are manufactured into just about every pc case and found out that they can be surprisingly restrictive. Your case has the preferred staggered pattern of holes (think honeycomb) which makes them as close as possible to each other, resulting in over 50% permeability or openness of the fan port if I recall correctly. My Cougar QBX had holes in a simple grid pattern (think pegboard) which amounted to only 40% permeability. My fan ports were 60% obstructed! So, you could get a nibbler tool (available on amazon) and cut out the grills for your existing fans to improve air flow. I did this and installed concentric wire style fan grills which are about 70% permeable, but since your front fans are covered by a front panel you don't have to add new grills there. Best to add one in the back though to prevent fingers from getting nipped! Let me know if you want to do this and I'll answer any questions you might have.

KinoAkuro

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Hi! thanks for answering I have tried to put an 80mm fan of 2000RPM on top as exhaust and it didn't help at all, since the problem is down there. I also thougth about moddifying the case, in particular the side case, i thougth i could open a hole in the side but since it is acryllic it seems impossible. I think i migth try opening holes on the bottom, do i need to take everything out?

You could cut acrylic, but I would do some research and see what youtube can show you about it. It wouldn't hurt to practice on a scrap piece of acrylic first. Of course you would need the right tools.

Well, since you will be cutting metal I would recommend emptying the case. You don't want any of the little metal bits getting on the circuit boards and causing a short circuit. You could try to mask off the other parts with tape and a cut up plastic garbage bag or something, but watch out for static electricity (newspaper or something like it might be a better option). After you're finished, carefully inspect every nook and cranny with a flashlight while vacuuming up the metal bits that have accumulated in there from the cutting. Note that you will have to put a fan there if you cut the bottom because with 2 intake and 1 exhaust the air will want to blow out the bottom hole instead of come in. You need it to come in there because it lines up directly with the intake fan on your gpu. I think with a 120mm fan there you will even get some cool air over the other parts of the card so this could work out ok for you.

Solution

KinoAkuro

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Thanks, i will try it once i get the tools!