Question Help with the vertical M.2 bracket on the Asus Prime X399-A motherboard ?

JuicevsJuice

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
I have the Asus Prime X399-A motherboard and want to install a 980 Pro M.2 SSD into the vertical mount bracket. I need to know if there is a heatsink that will fit that, or does it need one? I also want to know if that can be used as the OS drive or is there less speed or to it? The reason for the last question is that I have liquid cooling and it would be a pain to remove the one under the main one, was going to switch that and make it a storage drive until the next cleaning of the liquid cooling. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
The SSD being mounted vertically would mean that the SSD is in the airflow path in your case. The other thing to note is that the SSD will not be running at PCIe 4.0 speeds, which means it's not going to be running as how when at PCIe 4.0 speeds.

JuicevsJuice

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Thank you for in info on the PCIe 4.0 speeds, but for the airflow path, there is none. It's a liquid-cooled machine. The only fans are from the radiator. That is why I am looking for something that can cool that vertical drive, that will fit in the bracket.

Thank you for in info on the PCIe 4.0 speeds, but for the airflow path, there is none. It's a liquid-cooled machine. The only fans are from the radiator. That is why I am looking for something that can cool that vertical drive, that will fit in the bracket.
Is radiator in front of the case ? If it is. That M.2 slot is in almost ideal place. Add-on coolers mount on M.2 SSD so in that case it wouldn't be in the way of anything.

JuicevsJuice

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Is radiator in front of the case ? If it is. That M.2 slot is in almost ideal place. Add-on coolers mount on M.2 SSD so in that case it wouldn't be in the way of anything.
The radiator fans blow onto the radiator, they are also facing forward, this is a fully liquid-cooled open glass case. I just need something that is dedicated to cool the ssd in the bracket.