[SOLVED] Help with Upgrading a Graphics Card for a Laptop (ASUS K55VD)

Feb 17, 2019
Hello,

I was searching for graphics cards online and I realized there was no way for me to tell which ones are for a laptop. I was using Amazon India. Also I was not sure what would be compatible with my laptop which is an ASUS K55VD.

I also was not certain what GPUs would be compatible with an older chipset such as this one. Which I believe is a Sandybridge HM76 as per CPUz. It is running a 2gb 610m card at present. I would have attached screenshots if i could.

To be honest that card has handled most games up till now without too many issues. I don't have the need to turn up all the settings to their highest. It got through all the of the Mass Effects and even Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Hell it even got Crysis up and running. But lately it has begun to struggle. And it could not handle Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, a beautiful game I am looking forward to enjoying. It runs but lags way too hard, even at the lowest setting.

So instead of getting a whole new rig, seeing as I am a casual gamer, I wanted to look into a more basic gpu + ram upgrade to see me through a year or two.

Hoping you guys can help a fellow out with a good balanced recommendation.

What would you think of a 830m? Is that even available? or a 970 if that is even compatible?

I am a mere padawan and would be grateful for guidance.

Solution
Does you laptop come with an MXM slot ?

If not, then it is not going to be possible to upgrade the GPU in the laptop as it comes integrated on the motherboard (soldered) together with the graphics subsystem (graphics dedicated RAM). There is a GPU which is soldered and integrated onto the motherboard. The only way to upgrade the graphics, would be to replace the motherboard with one listed in the service manual which may have better graphics.

You can use an external GPU, if your laptop comes with a Thunderbolt port... It must be a “Thunderbolt” port, which supports higher bandwidth as well. A thunderbolt uses 2 or 4 PCI express lanes so it can enable the access of external GPU to the...
Does you laptop come with an MXM slot ?

If not, then it is not going to be possible to upgrade the GPU in the laptop as it comes integrated on the motherboard (soldered) together with the graphics subsystem (graphics dedicated RAM). There is a GPU which is soldered and integrated onto the motherboard. The only way to upgrade the graphics, would be to replace the motherboard with one listed in the service manual which may have better graphics.

You can use an external GPU, if your laptop comes with a Thunderbolt port... It must be a “Thunderbolt” port, which supports higher bandwidth as well. A thunderbolt uses 2 or 4 PCI express lanes so it can enable the access of external GPU to the processor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS