Question Help with upgrading my WiFi network

Mar 28, 2020
Hello, first post here. With the virus shutting things down my wife and I are now working from home. My wife especially is doing LoTS of conferences online, mostly ZOOM calls but sometimes Skype. I’m looking to upgrade our WiFi but I’m overwhelmed with the choices.p so I’m going to try to describe my home and eqi and hopefully somebody can steer me on the right direction.

house: 3 stories, 1800 sq ft total. Its hard to describe but the bottom floor is completely open, just a single large room. There’s a large opening between 1st and 2nd floors, kind of a balcony that you can look down into the first floor. Basically not many walls to need to pass a signal through.

Equipment ; router is asus rt86u Set up on the 2nd floor, cable internet using a 3.1 net gear nighthawk modem, Xfinity speed is about 175 down

We have 2 TVs connected to WiFi, one on the 1st and one on the 3rd. One desktop, 2 laptops, 2 Rokus, 2 phones, 2 iPads, 2 ecobee thermostats, 6 Phillips smart lights, 2 home security cameras. I think that’s it but might be forgetting one or two things.

I get pretty solid signal throughout the house, the only reduced spot is the 3rd floor bathroom. I can even get a pretty decent signal on the back porch outside.

There are times we may both be streaming content, I play online games on my iPad, and as said my wife uses Zoom and Skype multiple times per day. Things have been working well, no lost connections for the most part but occasionally I will lose signal or it slows down extremely when on the 3rd floor. The biggest issue is that my wife has been getting “connection unstable” messages while on Zoom calls.

The router is 2 years old now and I’ve considered 3 choices.
1. Keep the asus and buy a new WiFi 6 asus and use their aimesh setup. I figured I’d use the new one as the main and set it o the first floor and maybe put the 86u upstairs on the 3rd floor, or hardwire it to the new asus and have it on the 2nd floor.

2. Buy a single new WiFi 6, I’ve been looking at the net gear nighthawk 12 stream router. I would set it up on the 2nd floor.

3. Get a mesh system, looking at google nest or net gear orbi (NOT the newest WiFi 6 version).

I don’t really want to spend more than about $300 for it. My ideal replacement would be the asus zen WiFi but it looks like that’s at least $400.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.