Nov 6, 2016
PSU 400W
GPU MSI GTX 970
Motherboard not actually sure but i know its old since its ddr3
SSD: 222 GB
HD: 1.81TB
RAM: 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600

My goals are to upgrade my pc since I game and ive been suffering with my pc for a while now with issues such as blue screens and power surges. I think my pc is lacking so id appreciate help on how to upgrade, thank you

PSU 400W
GPU MSI GTX 970
Motherboard not actually sure but i know its old since its ddr3
SSD: 222 GB
HD: 1.81TB
RAM: 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600

My goals are to upgrade my pc since I game and ive been suffering with my pc for a while now with issues such as blue screens and power surges. I think my pc is lacking so id appreciate help on how to upgrade, thank you
Core components would be first since you have a decent video card to work with. CPU, motherboard and ram would be first but the power supply should also be upgraded if it's a low end model or more than 5 years old. What you get depends entirely on your budget. An upgrade such as this will require complete wipe of the OS drive and clean install of windows and programs.

At this point it’s not an upgrade more time to build a new pc. You could reuse the case and drives while upgrading the PSU, cpu, motherboard & RAM. Normally I’d say also the gpu but it’s nearly impossible to find a good gpu at a reasonable price at the moment so I would suggest carry on using the 970 until you can find a new gpu as well.

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Core components would be first since you have a decent video card to work with. CPU, motherboard and ram would be first but the power supply should also be upgraded if it's a low end model or more than 5 years old. What you get depends entirely on your budget. An upgrade such as this will require complete wipe of the OS drive and clean install of windows and programs.
Would £400 be a reasonable budget for upgrading? If so could you suggest me parts to buy? Thanks.

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
At this point it’s not an upgrade more time to build a new pc. You could reuse the case and drives while upgrading the PSU, cpu, motherboard & RAM. Normally I’d say also the gpu but it’s nearly impossible to find a good gpu at a reasonable price at the moment so I would suggest carry on using the 970 until you can find a new gpu as well.
Yeah, I noticed they're really expensive but the GPU I have also isnt that bad compared to the rest of my pc. Could you suggest any parts I could buy and in an order I should prioritise?

Yeah, I noticed they're really expensive but the GPU I have also isnt that bad compared to the rest of my pc. Could you suggest any parts I could buy and in an order I should prioritise?
Start cheap.
Get a can of compressed air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Fans and heat sinks extra clean.
Take the shroud off the gpu and clean it out.
Don't forget the psu.......a few shots of air from both directions.
Replace the bios battery.
Total......your out about 10 bucks.

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Start cheap.
Get a can of compressed air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Fans and heat sinks extra clean.
Take the shroud off the gpu and clean it out.
Don't forget the psu.......a few shots of air from both directions.
Replace the bios battery.
Total......your out about 10 bucks.
I find it hard to get the dust out of my CPU fan using compressed air too. Ive never took it apart before so i was nervous about doing it. If i take out the CPU fan must i need to apply thermal paste again? Currently dont have that on me

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Nvidia recommends a 500watt power supply for the 970.
Depending on the brand and model you have, it might be your problem.
Exactly what is the make and model of your power supply?
I cant make the picture send on here so ill type out what the picture says.
80 Plus Bronze ECO silent 500 Real Power
AC input 200-240 Vac 47-53 Hz 3A
DC Output+3,3V +5V +12V(1) +12v(2) -12V +5Vsb

Max current output 24A 21A 17A 16A 0.3A 2.5A
120W 396W 3.6W 12.5W

500W

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi, thank you for suggesting these parts. I would like to ask if these prices are fine for what they are currently? Or if I wait could I get them for lower prices?

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
If you want to build new: Get on FB marketplace and find some cheap DDR4 ram. Hold on to it for a couple weeks. Look for a killer deal for like a ryzen 3 and mobo or something. People spent all their stimmys and taxes on crap when they forgot they have to use that money to feed their kids.(Don't respond to me like this don't happen) Take advantage of their situation to build the best pc you can afford. Hit up EVGA midweek madness every wednesday and see what they got for dirt cheap. I'd look to upgrade that psu for the long haul even if you never plan on using it. Disk drives and cd drives, keep them. You only really need a mobo, ram and cpu to go ddr4.