Question Help with upgrading this PC...?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 9, 2023
Hi there, new to this site and forums in general. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum or something!

I would like some help and some opinions if possible in terms of this PC I would like to upgrade, this is not my PC, but my partners' I'm not too sure about PCs in general as I had help with mine.
I posted this on a forum and was directed to this one so I'll just copy paste:

I was wondering if I could get some help with upgrading a PC, in terms of performance, graphics, processing speed, fps, and that sort of stuff. It is primarily a gaming PC and will be used mainly for that purpose. Just wondering what can be done to make this better, and an estimated cost to do so. It has really slowed down in the past few months, but is only 2 months old, it has over 30% disk space still so that is not an issue too.

This is a screenshot of the system settings (not my PC):

Any help would be appreciated, and would be happy to answer any questions!

Kind regards,

J

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I have a number of computers far older and slower than your 2.9GHz 6-core i5-10400 system and replacing the hard disk with a faster SSD would an excellent idea, BUT, if you have up to 2,000 Euros to spend on a new machine, it would make life so much more enjoyable.

In fact, if your gaming needs do not include the latest AAA titles played at 4K or 240fps, you could buy a very nice system for half that amount. If you do decide to buy a new computer, I'd suggest a pre-built system for simplicity and peace of mind. Old hands on this forum would prefer to build their own system, but this takes a certain level of experience to avoid disapointment.

Your Intel i5-10400 was released in Autumn 2018 and production ceased in Spring 2020. This means the design of your computer is roughly five years old. That and running Windows from a hard disk is the reason why the computer is getting slower.

With sufficient guidance, you could be instructed to "clone" (make an exact copy of) your hard disk and transfer Windows to a brand new SSD costing 60 Euros, but it's a fairly complicated process if you've never done this before. If you feel up to the task, we'll be only too happy to help.

Set yourselves a budget, then look at pre-built gaming systems, or whatever takes your fancy. You don't have to commit to anything, but it doesn't hurt to look at new options. Come back to this forum and ask people what they think of your choice(s). You should be able to find a decent system and avoid wasting money on the wrong hardware.