Question Help with what to do with/how best to use my drives ?

Gamer_extreme_111

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
So I bought 2 1TB NVME drives and I have one old SATA SSD now how should I do it so that I can get the best of them I already wipe my old SATA SSD and installed windows on one of my NVME drives and I thought to myself that it may be best to use it for os only because many people suggest that and use my other one for my apps games and other stuff and use my old SATA as a backup.

Currently I already installed stuff like games and apps on the new os drive and I plan to use the other NVME drive as an additional space for now I kinda regret buying two 1TB SSD but I can't go back so yea thinking of reinstalling windows again but I also think that the space that would be left on my os drive if I start from the scratch and use my other NVME as my storage for my apps and gamse would be a waste so I also think of just continuing using them both and using the second drive as additional storage if i ran out of space on my main drive

I'm still new at managing storage and stuff so i am seeking for opinion"s and advice if what i will be doing is ideal? also what would be the difference if I separate my os and my apps and games some people say so that reinstalling windows won't be a hassle and that the os cant be affected by things so any additional information or tips would be helpful

Colif

Win 11 Master
what you are doing is fine. its about as good a use you can have for 2 nvme. No need to restart the storage drive usage really. the speed difference between ssd and nvme isn't as noticeable when used as storage.
I think its better to keep any app you need to reinstall with windows on C so its less messy if you ever reinstall again. That is what I normally do.
1tbh of space is too much just for windows, might as well install all your applications on it as well.

If the games are on steam you can move the game library to another drive without needing to start again
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
also what would be the difference if I separate my os and my apps and games some people say so that reinstalling windows won't be a hassle and that the os cant be affected by things so any additional information or tips would be helpful
OS and applications go on the same drive.
If you need to reinstall the OS, the applications need to be reinstalled again as well.

Games can go wherever you have enough space.

So I bought 2 1TB NVME drives and I have one old SATA SSD now how should I do it so that I can get the best of them I already wipe my old SATA SSD and installed windows on one of my NVME drives and I thought to myself that it may be best to use it for os only because many people suggest that and use my other one for my apps games and other stuff and use my old SATA as a backup.

Currently I already installed stuff like games and apps on the new os drive and I plan to use the other NVME drive as an additional space for now I kinda regret buying two 1TB SSD but I can't go back so yea thinking of reinstalling windows again but I also think that the space that would be left on my os drive if I start from the scratch and use my other NVME as my storage for my apps and gamse would be a waste so I also think of just continuing using them both and using the second drive as additional storage if i ran out of space on my main drive

I'm still new at managing storage and stuff so i am seeking for opinion"s and advice if what i will be doing is ideal? also what would be the difference if I separate my os and my apps and games some people say so that reinstalling windows won't be a hassle and that the os cant be affected by things so any additional information or tips would be helpful
How big is the sata ssd?

If this were me, I'd make one of the NVMe drives the OS drive and install games and applications on either NVMe drive depending on free space, and use the SATA SSD as a data store. I tend to not leave data I generate on the OS drive if I can help it, because if I have to reinstall the OS, then I have to start migrating data.

Note that most applications don't need to be reinstalled if you reinstall the OS. For instance, if you don't want to reinstall games from your local digital storefront, copy the games over to their new home then in the digital storefront point to where games are installed to that new location. As an example, let's say your SATA SSD has all your Steam games and you don't want to reinstall them:
  • Locate where apps in the Steam install location is installed (I believe it's just SteamApps, in the Steam install folder). You can also locate this by going to Steam -> Settings -> Download -> Steam Library Folders
  • Copy the folder somewhere on the NVMe drive you're not going to use as the OS drive
  • After installing the OS and Steam on the new NVMe drive, go to Steam -> Settings -> Download -> Steam Library Folders and add a new library, but point it to where you copied the original library.
And just like that, your Steam games are back. You can perform a similar thing with Origin, Epic Games Store, and GOG Galaxy.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My original plan with this PC was to get 2 nvme, but not the same size. I ended up only with 1 nvme and a hdd as it was cheaper. Now 2 years in, I could probably get away with just one drive. Tempted to replace hdd with ssd just so I can run vm off it instead of C
So wanting 2 nvme isn't that hard to imagine. With boards offering 3 or more slots now, why not. Its likely my next pc only have nvme.
Just don't bother looking at RAID. It doesn't make them any faster, they going as fast as they can now.