Help with Win7 PC taking forever to load some website pages

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
For the life of me, I can't figure out what is going on. Just one of my computers is not working, and it's using the same router as the other two. All 3 computers are hard wired to the router, so maybe it is another issue, but several website pages take forever to load, Tom's Hardware login screen one of them for example. Many other web pages load instantly so it's really confusing me.

What I have done so far on my win7 64 bit home edition pc is.

1 ccleaner
2. uninstall all browers and resinstall. (problem is persisting with all browsers)
3. uninstalling all add ons and extensions
4. unchecked hard drive acceleration

still, this one pc has problems with some websites that no other pc has problems with. Any thoughts to try and trouble shoot this? I need to start somewhere. Obviously, somewhere, somehow, something is making it hard to load certain pages.

Solution
No point paying them unless absolutely needed. Couple of things you need to do from here.
> Call your ISP again and talk to their tech. support. Discuss the bandwidth allocation per device and see if all the settings are ok.
> Try another connection. A wi-fi dongle maybe and see whether the issue persists. This way you could be certain that its your computer problem
> Visit a professional store in your vicinity and let them diagnose the pc. Ideally they wont charge to diagnose the issue, rather they will charge to fix the issue. But you will get the idea, where to look.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I reinstalled the network driver a few days ago. The pc that has problems loading some pages doesn't have wireless. I also used a known good cable in the router port that the problem computer was using and tried it on a working pc and all is good, so router ports all seem to working fine too.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Depending on how old the computer is there may be some browser updates (Adobe Flash plugins) or related items that need updates to handle the handful of aforementioned pages that are giving you a problem.
It may be worth your time to install another browser (like Chrome) to see if the same issue persists.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Problem is it is happening on all browsers. Have uninstalled them all and installed them again and still persists. Also updated flash player. Sorry, I just checked, a few days ago and I did "not" reinstall the network driver, I just checked for updates and it states I already have the latest update so I looked now, but I can't see how to reinstall the driver. How do I do that? DId not see a button that says reinstall or anything like that.

If I right click the "Intel (R) Ethernet Connection" it does say "uninstall" but I was afraid it would delete more and no internet connection to get an update if I uninstall it.

I thought since he reinstalled browser, plugins also must have been updated. If not done, then you should do that.
If all the above doesnt work, then Windows reinstallation might be your only way out.
But you should consult your ISP and get their local engineers check the issue before windows installation.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I agree. I will call tech support to see if they have any ideas thanks. I have read about this issue several times on the web and often it something really obscure like an accelerator in a game or something like that that is causing the delay and conflict, but I don't play or have any games on this pc.

Is there a way to reinstall the network driver from the windows repair disk?

Right click on "Computer" and go to "Properties".
Then go to Device Manager.
Under "Network Adapter" right click on your NIC and uninstall.
After its done, click on the "Scan for Hardware Changes" icon at the top and it will reinstall the driver.

Note: After the driver is uninstalled, you will see a Red Cross mark on the Network icon at the bottom right of your screen.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Yes, did scan for hardware changes. I think you're right and will call tomorrow my ISP and see if they can detect something. It's sort of baffling. I'll run a virus scan too, just in case, but did that not so long ago but to no avail. I like to thank you for taking the time to guide me through those steps too. I learned from that and this is always helpful.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

I may no understand the details of your issue. That said, the last two times I upgraded my MOBO with my original OS, I uninstalled the Intel driver and installed the Ethernet drive from the MOBO installation disk. Otherwise I was getting limited or no Ethernet access.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Beoir, I will try that now, sounds like a good idea to me. Update: Reinstalled Intel Network Driver from MBdisc, but still have the same problem with some websites taking forever to load. This is going to be a tough one to figure out. If anyone else has any other suggestion other than reinstalling windows, which is my last resort, feel free to post.

I also talked to my ISP today and they think it is a computer problem not their problem and want a hefty amount of money to try and help me figure it out, so I'm on my own for now trying to get this to work.

No point paying them unless absolutely needed. Couple of things you need to do from here.
> Call your ISP again and talk to their tech. support. Discuss the bandwidth allocation per device and see if all the settings are ok.
> Try another connection. A wi-fi dongle maybe and see whether the issue persists. This way you could be certain that its your computer problem
> Visit a professional store in your vicinity and let them diagnose the pc. Ideally they wont charge to diagnose the issue, rather they will charge to fix the issue. But you will get the idea, where to look.

Solution

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

I'm a bit stumped on this. If you had a problem in general with your connection I'd go down the path of ISP/Hardware setups. Since this is not the case I can only come up with software issues. Since you say you've updated browsers and tried more than one, the only thing left is something nasty on your computer trying to dial home, or doing something else notorious.
You can start to hone in on that indirectly, by monitoring your hardware usage, and looking to see what IP/Sockets are open. Some routers have a logging capability so you can get a listing of what connections are made. Then, If you can compare and find out the valid socket connections your browser needs, and then add blocking exceptions on the router for the rest that may help.

The easiest thing right now would be a DEEP Virus Scan (Assuming you've not already done so). When doing a virus scan, make sure the Ethernet connection is unplugged.

This smells exclusively like a software issue.
Sorry I can't be more help.

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Some great info Hellfire13, thank you very much. I'll take it step by step as you suggested and if nothing works, it would be faster for me to reinstall windows than bring to a local store and I'm fine to reinstall windows if it is a must. I've kept notes of all the adjustments I did with my SSD and all that so it should go smoothly hopefully.