[SOLVED] Help with Windows 10 Upgrade older PC

Oct 14, 2020
. My PC is an oldy but I have had no issues what so ever, with hardware or software. But i recently tried reinstalling a fresh windows install and I ran into some problems . My Pc came with windows vista installed and it cam e with a Free upgrade to Windows 7 mailed discs to me. So every time I install a fresh widows I have to use the vista reinstall discs and then the windows 7 upgrade discs then my windows 10 upgrade. Yesterday I tried reinstalling fresh windows and going through the whole process. after the windows 7 install the windows update stopped working. Ive tried everything from all the forums with no prevail. I think its because Vista and windows 7 are no longer supported i could be wrong.
Is it possible that when I want to do a factory fresh reinstall that I can just use the windows 10 upgrade and bypass all the other install discs? I don'tave money for a new desktop at the moment if i can just get it up and running again just until i get some dough saved.
below is the error codes i got from windows update that would not allow me to install any upgrades or updates . And Pc specs. Any help would be great. this problem have never com before have had no issues until now almost 10 years i have had it .

Product release information Pavilion p6120f Desktop PC
Product number
NP191AA
Release date
11-May-2009
Country/region sold in
  • United States
  • Canada
Motherboard

IPIBL-LB (Benicia)

Processor

Intel Pentium E6300

Processor upgrade information

Memory

8 GB

Memory upgrade information

Video graphics

Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100

Sound/Audio

Integrated Audio ALC888S

Networking

LAN: 10-Base-T

802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card

Hard drive

750 GB

CD/DVD disc drive

DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

Memory Card Reader

15-in-1 multimedia card reader

Computer Case

Mid-size ATX

Power Supply

250W

I/O Ports

Front I/O ports

Back I/O ports

Keyboard, mouse and input devices

HP USB keyboard

Quebec Keyboard Kit

HP USB optical mouse

error 80072f8f
error 0x80240199

Solution
You have done fresh installs of WHAT? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Have you tried simply installing Windows 10, a FULL, CLEAN install, not an upgrade, and then plugging in your Windows 7 product key when it asks for the Windows 10 product key? Because that works in the majority of cases to avoid bothering with installing the older OS first or having to upgrade an already installed Windows 7 installation.

In fact, it's what I do in pretty much every case where a system already has a valid activated version of 7, 8 or 8.1.

Follow my guide, then use your Windows 7 product key. Do NOT use your Windows 10 installer that you already have if it is an older installer. Go to the microsoft website, download the media creation tool and make a brand...
Did your Windows 7 discs come with a product key?

Also, installation problems have absolutely ZERO to do with "Vista and Windows 7 no longer being supported". Nothing. At. All.

Those operating systems still work perfectly fine. The only thing that "isn't supported" is updates for those operating systems. It has nothing to do with them installing.

If the problem is with Windows update ONLY, then yes, they are just going to sit there and spin their wheels because the updates are not supported for that OS anymore. I've already seen a couple of systems that would just sit there "thinking" about it for hours and hours when I've tried to update them.

If however you already have Windows 7 installed, and can GET the product key using a key extractor, then you don't NEED to update to get to Windows 10. All you need is the Windows 7 product key from a valid activated system and a Microsoft account.

Key extractor:

Then, once you have the product key written down, simply follow the directions in my guide for a clean install of Windows 10, and plug in the Windows 7 product key, and it should activate fine.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
Did your Windows 7 discs come with a product key?

Also, installation problems have absolutely ZERO to do with "Vista and Windows 7 no longer being supported". Nothing. At. All.

Those operating systems still work perfectly fine. The only thing that "isn't supported" is updates for those operating systems. It has nothing to do with them installing.

If the problem is with Windows update ONLY, then yes, they are just going to sit there and spin their wheels because the updates are not supported for that OS anymore. I've already seen a couple of systems that would just sit there "thinking" about it for hours and hours when I've tried to update them.

If however you already have Windows 7 installed, and can GET the product key using a key extractor, then you don't NEED to update to get to Windows 10. All you need is the Windows 7 product key from a valid activated system and a Microsoft account.

Key extractor:

Then, once you have the product key written down, simply follow the directions in my guide for a clean install of Windows 10, and plug in the Windows 7 product key, and it should activate fine.

hello thanks for the reply!! yes i have the original Win 7 install discs with the original product key. I also have a Win 10 upgrade . I have done fresh installs with the PC and never had an issue until now. Just curios why any info on the error codes i keep getting ?

error 80072f8f
error 0x80240199

You have done fresh installs of WHAT? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Have you tried simply installing Windows 10, a FULL, CLEAN install, not an upgrade, and then plugging in your Windows 7 product key when it asks for the Windows 10 product key? Because that works in the majority of cases to avoid bothering with installing the older OS first or having to upgrade an already installed Windows 7 installation.

In fact, it's what I do in pretty much every case where a system already has a valid activated version of 7, 8 or 8.1.

Follow my guide, then use your Windows 7 product key. Do NOT use your Windows 10 installer that you already have if it is an older installer. Go to the microsoft website, download the media creation tool and make a brand new installer that has all of the latest files included, and then use that USB or optical disk you create to install from.

Do not choose "Upgrade now", but instead, choose "Download tool" and after the download is complete run the tool and follow the directions, as outlined in my guide that I linked to above.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution