HELP with windows 7 transfer

unekmike

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi i currently have an AMD based computer that i built a couple of years ago and i purchased windows 7 for it at the time.

And now im am building a new PC that is going to have an Intel i5 processor intsead

my question is, how can i re-use my windows key that i purchased for my new build.
i am NOT going to be using the AMD computer anymore since it is going to be disassembled.

so do i have to somehow disable windows 7 on my AMD build and then install it to my new PC using the CD and the CD key that i used before??

i have no idea about how this works but i know its possible since i legally purchased my copy of windows.

a list of steps id need to take to do this would be perfect
any help would be awesome!

Solution
Did you purchase an OEM or Retail copy? It matters.

OEM = License is permanently tied to the first motherboard it's installed on and cannot be transferred to a new machine.

Retail = License can be transferred to a new machine as long as it is no longer in use on the old one. You cannot have two simultaneous activations of a single key.

Small correction. You did not purchase Windows, you purchased a license to use Windows, a license that Microsoft can revoke at any time.
Did you purchase an OEM or Retail copy? It matters.

OEM = License is permanently tied to the first motherboard it's installed on and cannot be transferred to a new machine.

Retail = License can be transferred to a new machine as long as it is no longer in use on the old one. You cannot have two simultaneous activations of a single key.

Small correction. You did not purchase Windows, you purchased a license to use Windows, a license that Microsoft can revoke at any time.

Solution

unekmike

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Okay well windows was not pre-installed on my machine which I'm guessing means it's not oem.
So how can I disable it so I can use my license on my new build?

unekmike

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Okay so I solved the Windows problem but now I did an external build of my set up and in the bios it shows my idle temps at 30c. I have a 4690k with hyper 212 evo on a msi z97 gaming 5 mobo what shouldy idle temps be like?