[SOLVED] Help with WinMTR diagnosis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lukev721

Reputable
Sep 5, 2018
I have been having some connection issues and I'm trying to figure out if the problem is me or my ISP. I have these winMTR reports and I don't know how to interpret them. The first line is my router and it seems fine, but starting from the 2nd line I start seeing some issues. That makes me want to say that it's some issue with my ISP but I want to be sure before I start considering an ISP change.

View: https://imgur.com/TKW4Ew9

View: https://imgur.com/Z67ZIXd

Solution
The WAN IP should be the same first 3 sets of digits. If the WAN address is not 10. ANYTHING, then you have a basic problem.

You need to run the same traceroute from another host. Laptop would be easiest. See if this strange routing is specific to one PC or your network.

OK, I figured it out and the solution kind of frustrates me with how simple it was. Apparently Netgear routers tend to flag a lot of harmless things as DoS attacks, even things like google or Instagram. The router logs all of this in the event log, so in my log it was registering dozens and dozens of these flags a minute. This caused some sort of congestion in my router causing the small drops of connectivity I was experiencing. The reason my issue...

lukev721

Reputable
Sep 5, 2018
The WAN IP should be the same first 3 sets of digits. If the WAN address is not 10. ANYTHING, then you have a basic problem.

You need to run the same traceroute from another host. Laptop would be easiest. See if this strange routing is specific to one PC or your network.

OK, I figured it out and the solution kind of frustrates me with how simple it was. Apparently Netgear routers tend to flag a lot of harmless things as DoS attacks, even things like google or Instagram. The router logs all of this in the event log, so in my log it was registering dozens and dozens of these flags a minute. This caused some sort of congestion in my router causing the small drops of connectivity I was experiencing. The reason my issue continued even after replacing my router is because my last router was a Netgear one as well. The solution was to go into my routers GUI and disable the logging of DoS attacks in my event log and everything is running fine now. Basically I was being ddos'ed by my own router.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
OK, I figured it out and the solution kind of frustrates me with how simple it was. Apparently Netgear routers tend to flag a lot of harmless things as DoS attacks, even things like google or Instagram. The router logs all of this in the event log, so in my log it was registering dozens and dozens of these flags a minute. This caused some sort of congestion in my router causing the small drops of connectivity I was experiencing. The reason my issue continued even after replacing my router is because my last router was a Netgear one as well. The solution was to go into my routers GUI and disable the logging of DoS attacks in my event log and everything is running fine now. Basically I was being ddos'ed by my own router.
Hope that was actually your problem. It doesn't fit all the info you have presented, but if it works, great.