[SOLVED] Help with XFX RX 580 Core Clock Speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amccormick318

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
So I recently put a new PC together and the PC itself is working quite well! However I noticed while running GPU-Z and compareing the clock speed of your average RX 580 8 GB, that mine has a less then stellar clock speed. The card itself was a replacement sent for a faulty RX 580 by XFX themselves, so I kind of doubt it might be a Mining card which seems to run the speed mines running at. However I have also seen that It could be a BIOS issue, so I was hoping someone could give me some tips or information on what I can do to get my card to run up to snuff.

As I said before the card is a XFX RX 580 8 GB, clock speed currently is 1150 with a memory speed of 2100, tho it looks like its supposed to run in the ballpark of 1340. BIOS version on GPU-Z is 015.050.002.001.000000. The card itself doesn't appear to struggle at any point and hits 144 fps on quite a few games, but its irking me knowing that I could be getting more performance out of my card.

Another thing to note, as of the release of the 2020 revision of AMD's driver software, using their Automatic overclock system only tunes to card up to 1210.

Solution
Hmm, your frequency states are wonky now (states 5-7 all at 1150MHz). I expected to see State 7 at 1366MHz. No matter. In WattMan, you have control over the voltage AND frequency at each state.

*Disclaimer - These settings may not be stable on your exact card (silicon lottery). But they have a pretty high success rate. If you experience a black screen that lasts anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds and then it drops you back in your game, it means the driver crashed (because a setting was insufficient) and has reset back to "Auto" for everything. Since we're feeding less voltage than Auto/Stock would, there's no danger to your card in any of this.

Frequency / Voltage
State 1 - 600MHz / 825mV
State 2 - 900MHz / 870mV
State 3 - 1075MHz /...

Dallazino

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Currently I am having some stability with the following

Frequency / Voltage
State 1 - 600MHz / 825mV
State 2 - 900MHz / 870mV
State 3 - 1075MHz / 910mV
State 4 - 1150MHz / 935mV
State 5 - 1200MHz / 955mV
State 6 - 1275MHz / 1020mV
State 7 - 1400MHz / 1150mV
Memory voltage = 930mV - Automatic

Attempting it on Memory Level 2 doesn't tend to stay very stable

Heyyy so I see you have been struggling a lot with this GPU, soo if you would be that kind and tell me if u see any big problems with it ? I kinda spontaneous ordered it and well, there are some really reviews that say bad things about it, soo I want to ask u do u have any kind of temperature based problems or any coil whining ? I will most likely do the underclocking thingy in order to prevent such high degrees of C but still, wanna get some answers. Thanks in advance!

amccormick318

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Well take this with a grain of salt as mine was previously a miners card with bunk bios on both profiles that required flashing the BIOS, but here's what mine does.

On any modern game, such as the Witcher 3, Star Wars BattleFront 2, and Fallout 76. Using an Undervolt but stock fan settings. The card hit 90C within 30-40 minutes. It runs the games well don't get me wrong but I have little choice but to use MSI Afterburner for it's fan ramp up settings to keep the card around 82C Undervolted, using the "whole ham" settings above.

In my honest opinion, return it. Don't bother with XFX. Get out now before you have one of their crap product stuck in your build.

Dallazino

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Yeah, I am really thinking about it but there aren't any other GPUs available at the moment, the lowest priced one is 1660 and it costs about 250€, which isnt ideal