tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I have and older Alienware Area 51 that I have to replace the motherboard in. The motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board D925XCV and I wanted to try to upgrade the cpu at the same time. Now I understand that they only take P4's or P4 extremes but being new at all of this I cant find one. Those that i do find I am not so sure will work.
The product guide lists the processor as:

P4 3.4EEGHZ 2MB 800FSB LGA775 EXTREME
yet that's all Greek to me.
As I've said, i have located a number of P4's online but each time I think I've found the right one the people on The Tech support forum tell me that it's not the one I need. I though as long as it was a P4, had a Intel® 925X Express Chipset and was configured for socket 775 that would suffice.
My mind is scrambled from all of these numbers and I sure would appreciate some guidance.
Thanks for your time and consideration.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I have and older Alienware Area 51 that I have to replace the motherboard in. The motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board D925XCV and I wanted to try to upgrade the cpu at the same time. Now I understand that they only take P4's or P4 extremes but being new at all of this I cant find one. Those that i do find I am not so sure will work.

As I've said, i have located a number of P4's online but each time I think I've found the right one the people on The Tech support forum tell me that it's not the one I need. I though as long as it was a P4, had a Intel® 925X Express Chipset and was configured for socket 775 that would suffice.
My mind is scrambled from all of these numbers and I sure would appreciate some guidance.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Well, discombobulate ur mind. As long as the mobo is built for it, ur good! the people on the Tech Support forum are wrong, and ill blieksem them if they say otherwise! check ebay, and use their search tool on the side to configure the mobo u need! just make sure that it also supports all ur other hardware as well, such as PCIe requirements...

So, in english, as long as it is a P4, Intel 925x Express chipset, and LGA 775 Socket, ur good. Just make sure everything else fits as well...

suteck

Distinguished
^+1 Here is a list of all supported processor.
Processor Family Processor Number Processor Speed System Bus Frequency L2 Cache Size L3 Cache Size BIOS Version
Intel® Pentium® 4
Extreme Edition 3.40 GHz 800 MHz 512 KB 2 MB 0183 or greater

Intel® Pentium® 4 660 3.60 GHz 800 MHz 2 MB 0404 or greater
650 3.40 GHz 800 MHz 2 MB 0404 or greater
640 3.20 GHz 800 MHz 2 MB 0404 or greater
630 3.00 GHz 800 MHz 2 MB 0404 or greater
570J 3.80 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
560J 3.60 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
560 3.60 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0183 or greater
550J 3.40 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
550 3.40 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0183 or greater
540J 3.20 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
540 3.20 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0183 or greater
530J 3.00 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
530 3.00 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0183 or greater
520J 2.80 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0338 or greater
520 2.80 GHz 800 MHz 1 MB 0183 or greater

This applies to:
Intel® Desktop Board D925XCV
Or look here

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm really not sure what you're asking tuffcitydesigns. If you are planning to upgrade the motherboard AND CPU, why are you limiting yourself to P4 and LGA775?

If you are paying for the board yourself, buy a newer LGA1156 or LGA1366 (for Intel), or an AM3 (for AMD). There's no reason to stick with an old LGA775 if you plan to upgrade the CPU at the same time.

Even if you want an older LGA775 board, buy one that supports Core 2 processors, P4 is dead and gone.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'd posted a reply last night in response to the helpful guidance that I've received on this matter but I don't see it posted.
Since none of the parts that I've ordered have arrive i was thinking that if I would try to up grade now as opposed to later.
I could just send the parts back and order the better motherboard, cpu and video card now. You guys are right, why should i spend $ on a board/cpu just to replace whats dated when I can actually upgrade at a minimal cost.
I'm getting it now. And since it appears that my response last night didn't get posted, let me again say thanks for the schooling.
The list you'd linked me to was absolutly perfect. My guse is that now since I will be getting a batere motherboard&CPU that those will change. Fistly I will need to figure out just what boards will fit that particular tower and secondly, what my options are for the cpu based on that choice.
Thanks again sutec. Be well.

Legally speaking that would be correct --- maybe :lol:

If you have an OEM CD version of Windows you are legally constrained to the original chipset under which the OS was installed - even when performing a motherboard replacement. Otherwise, you would be violating the terms of the EULA (end user license agreement). Some folks do not feel so legally constrained, perform a major cpu/mobo upgrade, and simply install the OEM version of Windows that came with the original computer.

However --- if you have a retail version of the OS you may install it on a new cpu/mobo, even the latest and greatest stuff, without violating the terms of the EULA.

Closely read the documentation which came with your computer.

suteck

Distinguished
We'll be glad to help., But first you need to give us some information on 1, what you want it to do (games or just surf the net, play the SIMS or some Unreal Tournament, video coding or HD movie watching). 2, How much you're willing to spend, (give us a number and we'll only go over it a little). 3, What parts you have that might still be useful to you, Like the case for one, what is your current power supply - name, wattage, connectors, that sort of thing, do you already have a pci-e X16 video card. Hard drive /IDE or s-ata I, II / same for the cd/dvd drive. Maybe any pci cards you think you need to keep. That's all I can think of for now. Some of the things you want to keep we'll probably try to talk you out of so keep an open mind. OR do you want to build a system from the ground UP?? Again, it's usually a question of money. If you want to follow this link to a system that was just co-operated on for about $650 it will give you an idea of what some people are looking at and maybe answer some of the questions you're already thinking of - or give you new questions. It's noway narrowed to that type of system, that's only to give you an idea of the process of doing it. Also, One other thing to keep in mind while looking into this is weather or not you're willing to get used parts? Some are ok and some are not. Just something else to think about. Well, give us some answers and ask some questions and we'll get you up and running in no time.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
suteck,

Thanks for the reply.
Let me answer your questions in order.

1, What you want it to do (games or just surf the net)

All I do is online research, email, listen to streaming radio/You Tube. I'm a freelance designer but the only CAD/CAM program I use is Google sketchUp.(does not utilize multithreading)
I don't do any gaming, and the only two additional programs outside of the Xp environmet that I use are Adobe's Photoshop and Indesign.

2, How much you're willing to spend.
Since I now have to stick with the D925XCV motherboard I guess there is only so much I can do as far as upgrading for now. The money that I had hoped to put into this has gone to the cats! (we just found out today that one of our cats has diadetes and that cost us $475 in vet fees to find that out.

3, What is your current power supply - name, wattage, connectors, that sort of thing,

The Alienware came with a 480w PSU but I've ordered a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI

4, Do you already have a pci-e X16 video card?

Yes, its a BFG GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E Video Card Dual DVI + TV-Out (BFGS68256GTOC).
I am about to up grade to a EVGA nVidia GeForce GT 220 1 GB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card 01G-P3-1226-LR. I am just trying to find out for sure if this will be compatiable and if there might be somthing better at around the same price. Haven't made a final desision.

5, What parts you have that might still be useful to you, Like the case for one, what is your current power supply - name, wattage, connectors, that sort of thing, do you already have a pci-e X16 video card. Hard drive
/IDE or s-ata I, II / same for the cd/dvd drive?

I will be keeping the case, the two 150gb western digital SATA hard drives and the DVD/CD drives.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
no.
just pointed out both links to follow..

I dig it. But I wasn't referring to the EULA, eff that, if I buy something I use it as I wish, as often as I wish. I bought the program and therefore will use the program. As I see fit.
I was referring to:

Join the 'flight' help legalize marijuana...

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'm wondering if I can replace this card:

BFG GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E Video Card Dual DVI + TV-Out (BFGS68256GTOC)

With either of these:

1, PNY GeForce GT 240 51 2MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 DVI with HDMI and VGA Graphics Card VCGGT2405G5XEB

2, XFX nVidia GeForce GT 240 1 GB DRR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card GT240XZNFC

on the D925XCV board?

suteck

Distinguished
Dam@^$*%, I'm confused again :pt1cable:
We started with "I have and older Alienware Area 51 that I have to replace the motherboard in" (So is it actually broken and needs replacing?)
And you did "i have located a number of P4's online but each time I think I've found the right one the people on The Tech support forum tell me that it's not the one I need" since you already had the best one you can't upgrade to a better one. Or is that what broke and you want/need to replace it?
Then we got to "none of the parts that I've ordered have arrive i was thinking that if I would try to up grade now as opposed to later". So the monies are gone because of the cat. That, I got :lol:
We're back to "Since I now have to stick with the D925XCV motherboard I guess there is only so much I can do as far as upgrading for now" Is this board still broken or did you mean you were going to get another of the D925XCV motherboards? Or already got it?
And you want to "I am about to up grade to a EVGA nVidia GeForce GT 220 1 GB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card 01G-P3-1226-LR." Which will work in your board and with your current power supply because the recommendation is for a 300W PSU.

Or WAIT do you want to work "With either of these:?"
1, PNY GeForce GT 240 51 2MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 DVI with HDMI and VGA Graphics Card VCGGT2405G5XEB
2, XFX nVidia GeForce GT 240 1 GB DRR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card GT240XZNFC
Both of these cards should work with your current board (if it works), and also with your current power supply because the recommendation is for a 300W PSU and pci-e 2.0 slot and should work great with the new CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI. But you won't need the Video card power leads that come with the Corsair for any of those cards since they're powered directly off the pci-e slot. Or since you got the new PSU you might want to reconsider a different video card.
So, as you can see, I'm quite confused and have no clue what your plan might be or what you need, (unless it is just the answer to the video card question), but I hope I've answered your questions about the video cards

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Yes, I already got the replacement D925XCV motherboard and the video card.
You think your confused. I put the board in last night and reconnected everything but the front panel header connections.
But now, although I have the operators manual for that particular board, and I've done exhaustive searches online, I cant understand from that how to re-insert the front panel connections. Let alone what direction they are supposed to be in. I hand taped them together and marked them as one prior to disconnecting them but since it looked like just one wire when I did so was dismayed to see that they where in fact 4 sets of wires grouped together.
I even had a friend come over to take a looksee and he says that he cant figure it out either. Now I'm bumming.

I have 5 sets of wires. they are marked on the black connectors as follows.

1-Power SW - blk and green wire
2-Power LED - blk and green
3-Reset switch - blk and white
4-H.D.D LED - blk and red
5-Speaker wire - blk and red ( I know where this one goes)
To add to this confusion that the colors on the pins are yellow, green, purple and red and don't match the wire colors.

Those are the only things not connected.
I have tried to understand the instructions in the guide but guide. I dont know who to trust as far as taking it to a local computer place and asking them to do this.
Needless to say, I'm stressing.

suteck

Distinguished
GO Here, Bookmark it, (it is an Intel link and a little slow so wait for it and make sure you have adobe reader). It is a complete listing of EVERYTHING you will ever need to know about that board, (and the uATX counterpart so make sure you're in the right section when you look something up), and scroll down to page 76. It gives you pictures and everything.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
suteck.
Thanks, yes I've already got that guide. The problem is that I haven't a clue, It doesn't tell me which side is up or even which side the black wire should be on. I don't het it. I thought I'd finally gotten those right but I still don't even get a beep, no fans turn Nothing! I just don't get it!

suteck

Distinguished
When your looking down on it the entire connector has 9 pins on it right? One side has 5 pins and the other has 4 pins. On the 4 pin side look at the 1 missing pin, the next 2 on the 4 pin side is where you connect the 2 pin power switch connectors - The first one is where the black wire and second one is where the red wire goes for the power switch connectors. The next pin you will connect the yellow single pin connector (it's for one of the activity leds on the front of the case) and the one next to that gets the green connector, (the other activity led). If you plug the other connectors up first it should be the last 2 wires. Next, go to the 5 pin side, starting with the pin below/above, (depending on which side you're on), empty/missing pin on the 4 pin side, you will put the single red wire connector (should have a +5v on it), on that one, If you don't have one of those just leave that one blank like it doesn't have a pin either. The next 2 pins, (the ones directly opposite the the 2 pins you put the power switch connectors on, you put the 2 pin connectors for the reset switch. Not sure about the first color but the second one will be black for ground. Then the last 2 pins are for your hdd led connectors. They should go black then white in the very corner. When you're looking at the diagram on that guide the Yellow, Green, Purple and Red are for connectors that should have come with the motherboard. Take the Yellow one and put the Hard drive led connectors, The Green one and put the 2 front panel led connectors on, take the Purple one and put the Reset switch connectors on and the Red one for the on/off power switch, leaving only the one single pin that the +5v wire connector connects to. Then you just take the four colored quick connects and plug them into the corresponding colors on the motherboard. I'm really sorry if you knew all this and already, connected all these the way I described and that's what you're telling me isn't doing anything but I figured I'd give it to you just in case. Did you get the four connectors (quick connects), with the new motherboard? They're supposed to make things so much easier.

tuffcitydesigns

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

sutech,

Thank you for this information. Definitely no need to apologize For one I didn't know any of this. I was simply referring to the motherboard guide, I had downloaded that ay the time that all of this started. When the motherboard had died.
Also, the new mother board came with nothing!. No manua. No cd/disk and no connectors or wires!
Additionally, though the new motherboard has the Intel logo and motherboard # (D925XCV0) stamped on on it, it's recognizably different from the The original one that had died.
I have a wicked hectic day today but when I get home I will follow these instructions step by step.
And yet again I thank you for your time and for your patience.
I'll get back to you after I've given this a go.
I was wondering also, can I go out and purchase a set of these wires that actually correspond with the whole color scheme of the original? What would thy be called and who best to get them from. If available of course.
Be well.

suteck

Distinguished
Power switch and reset switch really don't matter which way they go on since they go to a button that just makes a connection like a light switch. But just so you know, usually the color wire is the +, positive side while the black and sometimes the white are usually -, negative. I'll see if I can find a name for them when I get home and check some of the manuals I have from the boards that came with them, but I don't think you can just buy them anywhere, maybe from intel itself. Your main concern will probably be getting the power switch connected first. The rest are all bells and whistles. Most people don't use the reset switch cause it bypasses windows little quick shutdown mode. Just holding the power button down for 5 to 6 sec is a much better way to shut it down when it locks up. (I overclock so it happens when I,m working on a new OC or build. Good luck and let me know how it goes.