Question Help

May 22, 2019
I just bought a pre built i7 8700 and rtx 2070 from bestbuy it’s says base clock is 3.2ghz but mine is running at 4.3 and I get in the high 70 and low 80 while gaming should I be worried will it wear my cpu lifespan shorter

I just bought a pre built i7 8700 and rtx 2070 from bestbuy it’s says base clock is 3.2ghz but mine is running at 4.3 and I get in the high 70 and low 80 while gaming should I be worried will it wear my cpu lifespan shorter

That is normal behaviour, the base clock is the minimum speed it runs at, whilst max boost (on one core) is 4.6ghz for the 8700. The all core turbo is a little lower so 4.3ghz sounds about correct and what you should be expecting.

The way turbo works is the cpu boost it's speed up if there is sufficient power / temperature headroom. 70 to 80 degrees are acceptable temps. The max temp for the 8700 is 100 degrees (if it gets that high the cpu will auto throttle itself down to prevent damage). Running under those conditions shouldn't shorten it's lifespan as you are working within stock parameters.

If you want to bring temps down a bit you maybe need to look at how much cooling is in the case, adding a couple of cheap case fans is an easy way to get more air through the case and help keep temps down, although as I say the temps you are reporting are safe.

TRENDING THREADS