phikita

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ok...im really upset with this

so my computer seemed to be running hot so i figured id check the dust...o information is it is a previos built computer by me about 2 months ago...so i dust it out move the fans around put some liquid cooland on the cpu put it all back and then...

WAMMMOO it starts for about 2 to 3 seconds then shuts of....and i press power and same thing over and over and over again....

with meddling with it i found out of i unplug the 4 pin from the top of the motherboard it doesnt power down..it wont start up or anything but it doesnt power down..WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!?

phikita

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
all i did was open up the case use a can of air to dust out the computer ( might have been the reason for small over heating) took off the intel stock heatsink took out my cpu put the thermal compound a dime size on the cpu put it back in and the heatsink back on it, tried turning it on and after 1-3 second it shuts off..i do that a lot more times for the same result...and strangely i bump my psu from 115 to 230 and it stays on longer but the heatsink fan doesn run so it shuts off after like 10 seconds ...but as i said if i unplug the 4 pin it powers on and doesnt shut off until i shut it off but it doesnt load of course.

Did you clean off the old thermal compound residue from the CPU and heatsink before you put the "dime sized" amount of thermal compound on? What thermal compound did you use?

phikita

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
the cpu fan does feel kind of loose but do you think it would shut off the power that fast even if it was loose?... and i used artic 5 thermal compound, as well as i did scrape off the old stuff

Could you explain this a little more? "took out my cpu put the thermal compound a dime size on the cpu put it back in and the heatsink back on it". I hope you didn't put the thermal compound on the pins on the bottom of the CPU. You don't have to take the CPU out to put on thermal compound.

If the cooler is loose, that's very likely the cause of your problem. CPU's don't take very long to heat up. Did you read the manual about how to correctly install the heatsink? If you're using the push-pins, the pins have to be turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows. It looks like some manual reading is in your future.

phikita

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
i found out it is not the heatsink or the liquid coolant i applied i have narrowed it down to the mother board being disfunctional because i was told even if the cpu did not work completely it would still boot up longer then it is and i tested the power supply and it is working fine..so now i have to go buy a new motherboard.

That's a pretty hasty assumption. If the fan isn't secure on the cpu, it can shut down within a minute. Coolers with the push pins can be a real pain to get back on once you have removed them. Unmount the board and look at the back of it to see if the pins are all the way thru.

phikita

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
i bought a new heat sink/fan the one with out push pins that mounts from behind the motherboard securly with screws ...you know the good kind...and it did the same thing.... i ran diagnostics with my power supply and it is in good condition...as well as i tested my cpu on another computer and it worked.....so in the end it has to be my Mobo.