HELPPPP!!!! My psu dosent have a 6 pin and my new 7870 wont power HELP

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hey i am just wondering if you can help me.... I bought a Club 3D RoyalKing 7870 and it didnt come with either a crossfire bridge or a 2 molex to 6 pin adapter and i have plugged it in and it wont be recognized by windows and the fan isnt spinning either....

what can i do to power it on my nearby pc shop said my 300w psu is good enough to run it because the rest of my system uses next to nothing power wise as its low spec...

Please helpp i really wanna play crysis 3 Beta PLLLLLLLLLLLZZZ

Cheers

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

That's what AMD recommends. I doubt your 300w will handle that, especially if you don't have any 6 pins, you are probably only dealing with 1 12v rail for the entire system. You could try a molex to 6 pin, but considering your PSU doesn't have, it's either old, or probably cheap and it may run, it may catch fire.

$10 for adapters that may kill your PSU, and possibly motherboard, chip, ram, in the process OR $50 for a good power supply that would power your card properly.

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
its a good psu very durable the guy in the pc shop said he had it at one point (where i bought it from 2 years ago)
Anyways is there a way i can power it off the pci slot?

What PSU is it? No, you can power it off the PCI slot. If it could power off the slot, they wouldn't need you to add extra power from 6pin connectors. The 7750 doesn't need much power or extra connectors.

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
its a zoostorm psu (i think they are owned by dell) so basically a dell gpu idk though it has 2 12v rails i may get a new on tomorrow from a pc shop the guy usually give me a good deal haha but dunno yet

Hope it's not the same guy who told you zoostorm was a good brand or that a 3 year old 300w PSU would work with a 7850 no problem, because that guy doesn't seem to know much about gaming pc's and such.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Well Tough luck... You didn't read up the requirements of a gaming PC.
Go out buy a new PSU/Order online.

Sorry dude you are out of a PC for how long.
(I was out of a PC for 2 weeks while I tried to find time to diagnose the problem it was having).

ANTEC, Seasonic, Zalman, These are good brands.

emesis

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008

When lower quality PSUs encounter a load they can't handle, they tend to do things like explode & start fires, or send a voltage spike down the lines and fry motherboards and other components.

So I would be cautious of trying it out.

Antec was running a rebate deal on a 620 watt here in the US but I'm not sure about the UK (I'm assuming you'er UK because AFAIK Club3D is a UK brand)

raclimja

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

would you really risk killing your entire system just to run that thing?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
i live in the uk, england and ill get one from the computer shop (the computer guy) btw i dont usually listen to him i just ask him tips and ill get a 650-700w one and ill make sure its decent like a known brand like corsair btw have you guys heard of CIC? i think its that my dad has a CIC psu and it does well for him

MC_K7

Distinguished
Never heard of CIT. Just get a well known brand like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc... They all make really good PSU.

And I wouldn't trust that "Computer Guy" anymore... If he was a good tech he would have asked you about the PSU before selling you the card and he should have known that a 6-pin power connector was required. Connecting a high-end card like 7870 to an underpowered 300-Watt PSU is not a good idea... I don't know why he told you that would do it...

By the way, what CPU do you have? Another question the guy should have asked you, because there's no point in spending money on a 7870 if your CPU is going to bottleneck it. Can you give us the rest of your specs please?

Sales people for the most part will tell you anything to get you to buy. Although if he was smart he would have said the PSU would not work and then offer you a decent PSU to go with the GPU... Either way he does not sound like a guy I would trust (hes either a scumbag, uninformed, or both).

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually Seasonic only makes 3 current Corsair power supplies.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

OP an HD 7870 needs a recommended 500w power supply. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, and Antec are all good brands.

The tier list posted above is a very good general guide. Stay with tier 3 and up for a non overclocked system and tier 2 and up for anything you plan on overclocking.

i understand seasonic makes alot of psu's for different vendors. unfortunately the corsair units ive been coming across havent been doing well, thats why i brought it up.